+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Algorithmic scouting

Quote Originally Posted by andoplzcumbak View Post
    I’ve been reading that Homo Deus recently. There’s a bit in it about a small baseball team who started scouting through an algorithm.. they were laughed at but it worked big time until the bigger richer teams cottoned on and were able to spend more on bigger and better programmes.
    Got me thinking about us here.. I reckon a spectrum 48k could replace Russ Richardson.

Is this feasibly something we could look into?
    While I have no idea as to the feasibility of this, one thing I do know is that Algorithmic Scouting is a good name for a band.

That said its probably already been used as an album title by someone like Ozric Tentacles...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Moog View Post
    While I have no idea as to the feasibility of this, one thing I do know is that Algorithmic Scouting is a good name for a band.

That said its probably already been used as an album title by someone like Ozric Tentacles...
    Shouldn't it be 'Algorhythmic' Scouting for a band name or is that trying too hard to be clever? 'If so then I'd at least shorten it to 'Algorithmic Scouts' rather than scouting.

I’ve been reading that Homo Deus recently. There’s a bit in it about a small baseball team who started scouting through an algorithm.. they were laughed at but it worked big time until the bigger richer teams cottoned on and were able to spend more on bigger and better programmes.
    Got me thinking about us here.. I reckon a spectrum 48k could replace Russ Richardson.

Ok I must confess that I have no fkn idea wtf Algorithmic scouting actually is
    However it does have the word SCOUTING in it, therefore it must be worth a try as any form of actual scouting must be better than what the club currently does

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Was that the Oakland As. The film Moneyball is about it. Which is good

Operation Wolf was good too
    Yep, Oakland it was.

Operation wolf was brilliant. I won’t be hunting it out though. Playing old games you used to love is usually a balloon burster.

Apparently Oakland had a shoestring budget (44m) compared to the big hitters..

Quote Originally Posted by Redbull666 View Post
    It's absolutely something we should look into. I assume that the algorithms use data from OPTA if that's the correct acronym. I have no idea which leagues actually have people collecting those stats, whether it goes down to the lower divisions either.

Our scouting is dire or so it seems. Rarely do we go for anyone left field, unexpected.
    I think it’ll eventually be common place, though if everyone is doing it, it’ll be as you were with the rich clubs able to afford bigger, better and more sophisticated algorithms.
    If affordable, it’d be interesting to see how it played out if we tried to steal a march on it though.

I reckon a spectrum 48k could replace Russ Richardson.

Only if the fans can come up with more DNA money.

I think we're looking at a ZX80.

I think it’ll eventually be common place, though if everyone is doing it, it’ll be as you were with the rich clubs able to afford bigger, better and more sophisticated algorithms.
    If affordable, it’d be interesting to see how it played out if we tried to steal a march on it though.
    That's the kind of thing we would have been ahead of the game on back when Anderson was running things. Milne doesn't have a spark of ingenuity in him or foresight...now more than ever we need some creative thinking in all aspects of the club. I live in hope the American guy that has come in will bring with him a bit of that, sure I read he was involved in sport over in the US.

Operation Wolf was the business.

I had a Commodore 64 then an Amiga. Sensible Soccer anyone? What a game.

Quote Originally Posted by DodHagi View Post
    Operation Wolf was the business.

I had a Commodore 64 then an Amiga. Sensible Soccer anyone? What a game.
    Sensible World of Soccer was even better.

Sensible soccer was always sh1te. If you couldn’t score direct from the kick off, there was something wrong with you. The only version I enjoyed was the one when you played with WW1 soldiers & a hand grenade.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast