+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dobbie - two short , injured

Dobbie - two short , injured

and only 4 league games to go . However , all might not be lost regarding our goalscoring record even if Dobbs doesn't appear in the league again this season. If we finish 2nd bottom, then surely he will be back with a potential 4 more games to break 41 goals . I must add now that I'd much rather we finished 3rd bottom than any of this but it was just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    and only 4 league games to go . However , all might not be lost regarding our goalscoring record even if Dobbs doesn't appear in the league again this season. If we finish 2nd bottom, then surely he will be back with a potential 4 more games to break 41 goals . I must add now that I'd much rather we finished 3rd bottom than any of this but it was just a thought.
    Gutted for the Dobmeister who looks like he might miss out on the record but tbh it is more important that we stay in the Championship. Our tactic, in the main, of playing only one up has finally caught up with our 36 - year - old talisman who over the last few weeks has not looked 100 per cent fit imo so it is up to his team mates to burst a gut tomorrow and get 3 points at Alloa.

Wouldn't it be great if Dobbie could make it back for the last league game at home v Partick and score the 2 goals that he richly deserves. It'll all depend on the extent of his injury, fingers & toes crossed he gets the chance to claim the record & save Queens from relegation....

I was actually wondering if play-off games count as part of the season or are regarded as extra games and don't count towards scoring records. Surely its the actual league campaign that records are taken over so that every player's record is based on their team competing over the same number of games. Would it be fair if Dobbie overtook Shankland say when Dobbie has the opportunity to play in extra games if we drop into the play-offs.

Strange as this might seem Dobbie being out doesn't need to hamper us too much. As Ftivano says, Dobbs has been flogging his guts out and maybe he can appear refreshed and make a late comeback to smash the record. The other reason is that our players might even start to pass to each other instead of looking for Dobbie all the time. He often has two men on him so this will give our opponents something else to think about. All week at work I've heard that Alloa will finish us off but Queens often pull a rabbit out of the hat when no one fancies them. Its in our DNA.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 12-04-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Difficult to accept but our plunge down the table really coincided with Dobbie failing to score from open play yet we are so reliant upon the maestro we have continually tried to play him in at all times when other options have perhaps been available. It is what it is and others really need to step up to the mark for these final games and be counted when it matters most. We did reasonably well last year in similar circumstances in Dobbie's absence so there is still plenty of hope remaining for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Auld_Chippy View Post
    I was actually wondering if play-off games count as part of the season or are regarded as extra games and don't count towards scoring records. Surely its the actual league campaign that records are taken over so that every player's record is based on their team competing over the same number of games. Would it be fair if Dobbie overtook Shankland say when Dobbie has the opportunity to play in extra games if we drop into the play-offs.
    You could well be correct although that would mean any goals scored during the play offs don"t count in official scoring records. Almost the goals that never were. Anyway, where have you been Aul Chippy , good to have you back.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 12-04-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auld_Chippy View Post
    If we are talking about a QOS record for a single season then all goals in all competitive first team fixtures in that season will count.
    Dobbie v Shankland is another matter surely. In any case Ayr are going to be in the play-offs that we aspired to at the top end so they'll have "extra" competitive games too. The strong likelihood with Dobbs injured is that Shankland will score more league goals but Dobbie's total for all first team matches will be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobmeister View Post
    If we are talking about a QOS record for a single season then all goals in all competitive first team fixtures in that season will count.
    Dobbie v Shankland is another matter surely. In any case Ayr are going to be in the play-offs that we aspired to at the top end so they'll have "extra" competitive games too. The strong likelihood with Dobbs injured is that Shankland will score more league goals but Dobbie's total for all first team matches will be higher.
    Must admit I got a bit crossed over there re the club record and divisional top scorer but on that note, what if Dobbie was competing for divisional top scorer against a middle of the table player not involved in playoffs, would the fact that Dobbie may play more games in playoffs with a chance to beat him be a fair. On the club scoring record, Dobbie is chasing the jointly held record of 41 goals, Nicky Clark did it over a 36 games season, not sure how many games per season were played when the other joint holder (memory failure on his name) set his record but it should be taken over the normal playing season. I tend to view the play-offs as similar to a penalty shoot-out at the end of a cup game, it's additional to the game not part of it and I don't think the successful penalty scorers can count those goals towards their seasons total.

You could well be correct although that would mean any goals scored during the play offs don"t count in official scoring records. Almost the goals that never were. Anyway, where have you been Aul Chippy , good to have you back.
    I must admit I only drop in here every now and again, I was having a bit of a problem logging in/posting for a while (my fault or rather BT's, not the site's fault) so got out of the habit of looking in here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)