+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Old Dumfries - Butchers Shops

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Spike was one of the Kelly brothers a very, very tall man ?
    Both the Kelly brothers were tall however Tin Willie (or Whistle I can't fully recall) from the Vennel was exceptionally tall.

A couple of puzzlers - 1. The New Bazaar centenary night programme contained adverts from Queens first programme in 1933 one of which was Watson's in High Street, Maxwelltown - where was this High Street ?
    2. The street that runs from Paddy Powers the bookies through to Queensberry Street is called Chapel Street but there is no street name sign - is there a reason for this ?

High Street is the wee bit of road from the Devorgilla pub to Howgate Street. Check on google maps.

No idea as to why Chapel Street has no name up but, unbelievably, in 1850 there were no fewer than I5 pubs between there and Great King Street taking in the High Street and Queenberry Street. Namely.. Red Lion Inn., Hole i the wa, Rob Roy, Thistle and Crown Inn, Bush Inn, Swan Inn, Three Crowns Inn, Spur Inn, Beehive Inn, Lion and Lamb Inn, Crown Hotel, Royal Oak Hotel, Black Horse Inn, Hare and Hound Inn and the Sun Inn. A boozers paradise, all within about 200 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagapapa View Post
    No idea as to why Chapel Street has no name up but, unbelievably, in 1850 there were no fewer than I5 pubs between there and Great King Street taking in the High Street and Queenberry Street. Namely.. Red Lion Inn., Hole i the wa, Rob Roy, Thistle and Crown Inn, Bush Inn, Swan Inn, Three Crowns Inn, Spur Inn, Beehive Inn, Lion and Lamb Inn, Crown Hotel, Royal Oak Hotel, Black Horse Inn, Hare and Hound Inn and the Sun Inn. A boozers paradise, all within about 200 yards.
    It was nicknamed Ratten Raw back in the late 1890s / early 1900s and for a tiny street there were 2 pubs in it - the
    Wheat Sheaf Inn and the Red Lion. I have a list of 18 pubs (including some of Bagapapa's list) which were ALL situated up closes off the High Street. Of course nearly all the closes have disappeared now.

Dumfries Butchers

Quote Originally Posted by Auld_Chippy View Post
    Rankines in High St, Jardine in Queensberry St, and Welsh in The Vennel are 3 Ironmongers that spring to mind. Can't think k of any more atm.
    Auld Chippy,

you mentioned Welsh's the ironmonger at the bottom end of the Vennel and lo and behold I remembered another butchers shop on the same side and one no one mentioned on the thread last year.
    Does anyone know what the shop was called?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)