+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proud as punch

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Proud as punch is too far for me, more of too little to late as usual!

Plenty to feel positive about with Sow getting 55 mins and maybe should have scored and had a penalty. Harkes showed the worst and best he has to offer, with Butcher and Reynolds i think having their best games for us.

Safranko and McMullan though were the difference and i really hope we build a team to support them.

Benji mostly untroubled and i need to see their goal again, but Connolly certainly didnt have a good game tonight. I dont see any difference between him and Bouhenna, in fact, the latter would get my pick for a start if fit.

Agree with most of that . Connolly seems to be getting worse the more games he plays. Ye and proud as punch is a bit too far.

Could tell what RN was going for when you saw the starting line up, was always going to be a double sub with Safranko and Clark and it worked a treat. Im sure he would have preffered it to be at 0-0 or even winning but hey ho. Missed a good chunk of the first half due to working, caught all the 2nd and our pressing and fighting was absolutely brilliant. Its what Ayr have done to us every game previous.

That was a massive MASSIVE win for many reasons.

None of the daft sitting too deep at the end either was good to see. We have the best chance we have had in the playoffs since coming down. We are the best team IMO providing we don't have any big hitters out, which i now include Callum Butcher as now. I think him being missing v inverness was the difference.

I get the irony about being ‘Proud as Punch’ on beating Ayr Utd 2-1 at home. But it’s where we are right now and every journey starts with little steps and this could have been one of them. Second half, we FINALLY after 315 minutes of football against this lot we seemed to realise that actually they are not very good and are bordering on total shiite. We pressed, harried, worked hard, won the midfield battles and it culminated in, for them anyway, a total cluster**** of the second goal.

The moral of the story? These teams really aren’t very good, but you have to work hard and match their effort. Do that and you’ll win. Don’t and you’ll lose. Has it really taken us three seasons to get that?

Fantastic time to break the tv curse going into the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by bannon_ftd_83 View Post
    Could tell what RN was going for when you saw the starting line up, was always going to be a double sub with Safranko and Clark and it worked a treat. Im sure he would have preffered it to be at 0-0 or even winning but hey ho. Missed a good chunk of the first half due to working, caught all the 2nd and our pressing and fighting was absolutely brilliant. Its what Ayr have done to us every game previous.

That was a massive MASSIVE win for many reasons.

None of the daft sitting too deep at the end either was good to see. We have the best chance we have had in the playoffs since coming down. We are the best team IMO providing we don't have any big hitters out, which i now include Callum Butcher as now. I think him being missing v inverness was the difference.
    Butcher is definitely a key player for us.

Although we managed to beat Ayr last night -in play offs I’d still prefer ICT. Glad we now look to have avoided a nightmare of double headers v ICT and Ayr as that would have tired us before possible play off v the fun!

Safranko's equaliser was a thing of beauty wasn't it?

Harkes didn't impress me much. Expected to see better from him. But that was a lovely cross into the danger area that led to the Safranko goal.

McMullan's work rate was a great example of his commitment to the cause, and I felt he was the one that was driving the team on. He deserved a goal and I'm sure he will be looking to find the net a lot more regularly in the run-in and into the play offs.

Butcher was sound and did his job brilliantly.

Sow showed some good movement and there's definately a decent striker in there.

Overall, well done United! Got a couple of monkeys off our back with that result.

But the jobs far from over. Got to finish strong and secure 2nd. In doing so, we will be carrying some confidence and momentum into the play offs.

Didn't make it last night as I was away but watched on TV, great result and 2nd half.

I can see why Robbie started Sow as he needs game time and wouldn't have got an hour if he was on the bench unless someone got injured, possibly a bit harsh on Safranko but it keeps our front men on their toes.

McMullan again was our mom and if could cross a ball he'd definitely be in the Craig Conway bracket.

Interesting that a few posters on here have mentioned Connolly not playing well but I thought he did really well and THE PUNDIT thought so too so I must be right. It's obviously different watching on TV from being at the match as I'm not hearing all the moans and groans when player's fk up but I honestly thought Connolly did well and apart from Harkes being utter mince in the 1st half all the players did well.

We now have a bit of breathing space until the play offs so let's relax a bit, give Sow more game time and work on a few things ie set pieces-especially free kicks just outside the oppositions box.

Pav's goal was magic obviously but can't overlook his part in the 2nd goal. He chased a lost cause which produced the error from their keeper. McMullan took it well though, and quick, so keeper wasn't set for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)