+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Sportscene

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    JuanShoe,
    Can you come up with any evidence that there is a real gender pay gap in this country in like for like jobs?

All i hear is people latching onto news headlines about this, but the reality is hell of a lot more complicated than a simplified headline!

I am all for the right people in the right jobs, but there is far too much tokenism going on, and in this case, the lassie today is no very good, but neither is Steven Thomson and Michael whats his face!
    Well posted Chick. I couldn’t be arsed asking the same questions.
    Is anybody seriously suggesting that BBC conducted a series of interviews with a short list and then decided on Kerr.
    I suspect they were told that they had to get a female on the program and made what they thought was the obvious choice.

Quote Originally Posted by JuanShoe View Post
    So on what criteria does Tam McMannus "deserve" his job?
    Are you asking yourself. 😊
    I don’t know the answer but in most cases I would rather listen to an ex-professional who has played at the level he’s commenting on.
    As I said it’s a matter of opinion who’s good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by An old shed boy View Post
    Is anybody seriously suggesting that BBC conducted a series of interviews with a short list and then decided on Kerr.
    Are you suggesting all the male pundits go through a selection process like your describe?

What a tragic, yer da, Brexit thread. Imarine raging that a woman leading her country to the world cup is discussing football on tv.

JuanShoe,
    Can you come up with any evidence that there is a real gender pay gap in this country in like for like jobs?

All i hear is people latching onto news headlines about this, but the reality is hell of a lot more complicated than a simplified headline!

I am all for the right people in the right jobs, but there is far too much tokenism going on, and in this case, the lassie today is no very good, but neither is Steven Thomson and Michael whats his face!
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ore-than-women

Not sure how to post links so that may not work. Now I'm not personally involved in the collection of such data and wouldn't claim to be an expert. I know there have been some criticism of specific aspects of the way such data is collated, including it only being certain companies that are required to submit data and the can use percentages instead of actual amounts. There will also be situations where there is an "affirmative action" effect. But football is still in the dark ages in this country in so many ways. Des McKeown gets a job with the BBC and the Sun despite having no real football career, having no charisma or ability to use the English language and once asking somebody on air "why did you do what you did to do what you do?" and that's fine. BBC gives the current Women's Scotland Manager who qualified for the World Cup and the all time record goal scorer a gig as pundits and they are only given it because they're women?

Quote Originally Posted by Otm_Shank View Post
    What a tragic, yer da, Brexit thread. Imarine raging that a woman leading her country to the world cup is discussing football on tv.
    Nobody raging. Just a bit of banter about football on a football forum.
    Probably my fault for not realising topics had to be cleared by you.

Ahhh classic bants

Sorry JuanShoe, that doesnt help your case.

225 workers on the workshop floor, including some women, will obviously earn more per hour that the female dominated office and cleaning department. The gender pay imbalance is further skewed by the fact that the managers and MD are all male. There is no issue as all employees are paid the same across the board according to their level of responsibility. Without looking at the facts in detail however, they have one of the biggest reported gender pay gaps according to the press!

Quote Originally Posted by An old shed boy View Post
    Can someone please explain why the fck that Shelley Kerr appears to be on every program.
    I know she manages the ladies team but in what way does that qualify her as an expert.
    The manager of Auchinleck does a great job at his level so what’s the difference.
    And more importantly she’s a hatchet faced boot with an irritating weedgie voice.
    Ignore the first part of the post and go with that.
    a horrible chunt with a horrible accent mate yer right!

Sorry JuanShoe, that doesnt help your case.

225 workers on the workshop floor, including some women, will obviously earn more per hour that the female dominated office and cleaning department. The gender pay imbalance is further skewed by the fact that the managers and MD are all male. There is no issue as all employees are paid the same across the board according to their level of responsibility. Without looking at the facts in detail however, they have one of the biggest reported gender pay gaps according to the press!
    That's not entirely accurate though. Firstly, there are many high profile examples of women not being paid the same for equivalent levels of jobs, hence why many councils are now broke from paying out millions to redress this. I listened to a report on 5 live a year or so ago and the analysis of the data in this report claimed to show that there was a discrepancy in pay not only between men and women, but also on the basis of ethnicity, ***uality and even height. Now these differences were not as high as the headline figures in the Guardian article but it did show there is an actual difference between what men and women are paid for equivalent jobs across a sector, rather than perhaps an individual company. And the key point your example is missing, is that the highest paid jobs are disproportionately given to men. If, as reports have suggested, only 12% of the highest paid jobs go to women despite 51% of the population being female, this creates a discrepancy on what women can earn, hence a gender gap. Similarly if you look at the proportion of coaches and managers from ethnic minorities in British football compared to the percentage of the population and indeed the percentage of players. The problem is how you redress that without having pro-discrimination.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)