+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: O/T Does David Lammy

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Some right rammel on this thread, but to answer the OP, yes I think David Lammy was spot on with his comments, and to be fair, I’m not sure middle aged white men are in any position to disagree with him. I also think he’d make a great leader of the Labour Party.
    Oh dear, how to lose the remaining Labour voters

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    https://youtu.be/8dNjsSWxCKM is the link to his interview.

He doesn't explicitly call anyone a Nazi and wasn't harassing anyone in the street which might answer Tricky's question.

I think it was a foolish thing to say though, especially 2 minutes after talking about uniting the country.

Having right wing views is not the same as being a Nazi, being sceptical of multiculturalism is not the same as being a Nazi. Salvini and Orban are unscrupulous and cynical right wing politicians, but I don't think they have done anything comparable with the Nazis. Maybe they will in the future but I doubt it.

This is a good illustration of how basing everything on hyperbole, rhetoric and blind partisanship rather than sober discussion of the facts is ruining modern politics. Unfortunately I think it'll get worse before it gets better.
    Driller, traditional right wing views are stuff like endorsing privatisation, thinking that “the market” will solve everything and that the minimum wage is a bad idea. They aren’t saying that black people are “picaninnies” with “water melon smiles” or commenting that Muslim women look like “bank robbers” or “letter boxes”. Meeting with Steve Bannon, a man who helped put a white supremacist in the White House, isn’t being “sceptical of multiculturalism”.

Rees Mogg spoke at an event organised by people who want forced repatriation of non white people. He has endorsed the AfD and a message board with contributions from people who would like Muslims to be killed and remain traitors to be hanged. He has meetings with Steve Bannon, a man who helped put a white supremacist in the White House. The Nazis didn’t get into power by gassing Jewish people and invading countries. They acquired it partially through blaming the effects of austerity on minorities and foreigners. Lammy was entirely correct in his comments.
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 16-04-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Driller, traditional right wing views are stuff like endorsing privatisation, thinking that “the market” will solve everything and that the minimum wage is a bad idea. They aren’t saying that black people are “picaninnies” with “water melon smiles” or commenting that Muslim women look like “bank robbers” or “letter boxes”. Meeting with Steve Bannon, a man who helped put a white supremacist in the White House, isn’t being “sceptical of multiculturalism”.

Rees Mogg spoke at an event organised by people who want forced repatriation of non white people. He has endorsed the AfD and a message board with contributions from people who would like Muslims to be killed and remain traitors to be hanged. He has meetings with Steve Bannon, a man who helped put a white supremacist in the White House. The Nazis didn’t get into power by gassing Jewish people and invading countries. They acquired it partially through blaming the effects of austerity on minorities and foreigners. Lammy was entirely correct in his comments.
    Interesting BFP - links to confirm what you are saying would be helpful

His he accusing Labour voters of being nazis? I ask because most Labour constituencies North of Watford voted leave.
    The guy seems to be doing more to divide and alienate half the country than anyone.

Right wing politics is about more than economic policy, I'd refer you to any political science textbook for that.

Picaninnies, water melon smiles and Muslim letter boxes are crass, racist even, but not equivalent to Nazism.

Guilt by association is a crude instrument and cuts both ways. Corbyn meeting the IRA and Hamas doesn't look great presentationally but at the same time doesn't mean he shares all their views. Identifying as a communist doesn't automatically mean you support Stalin's purges or the NKVD. It might also mean exactly that but not necessarily.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456