+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: o//t what's the most painful millers relegation you have witnessed?

We seem to think that bringing in one or two players in January would have been the panacea to cure all our shortcomings. Doesn't seem to have worked too well for Ipswich, Wigan (and Bolton?) and maybe it has for Reading but there was no guarantee.

Depends which players you bring in and whether your Manager can get the most out of them.
    Paul Lambert wasting a huge amount of money in Jan or give the same budget to PW. Vastly different outcome

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    We seem to think that bringing in one or two players in January would have been the panacea to cure all our shortcomings. Doesn't seem to have worked too well for Ipswich, Wigan (and Bolton?) and maybe it has for Reading but there was no guarantee.
    CAM, picture this if you can. Rather than leave Smudge up front on his own for the final 12 games, why didn't Stewart and Warne go all out and pay a loan forward £10,000 a week, being that he may well have been a £20,000 a week player but not getting a game. There's plenty out there, Sam Winnall at Weds for instance.

Only a 12 week contract so no major upsets IF we do go down. At least we would have given it a better proposition of attacking with 2 instead of 1 up front. Not saying it would have worked but, it would have been better than nothing at all as is the case that's probably got us in this current position.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    CAM, picture this if you can. Rather than leave Smudge up front on his own for the final 12 games, why didn't Stewart and Warne go all out and pay a loan forward £10,000 a week, being that he may well have been a £20,000 a week player but not getting a game. There's plenty out there, Sam Winnall at Weds for instance.

Only a 12 week contract so no major upsets IF we do go down. At least we would have given it a better proposition of attacking with 2 instead of 1 up front. Not saying it would have worked but, it would have been better than nothing at all as is the case that's probably got us in this current position.
    If we escape relegation this time around and are in the same position again next season or maybe if not and we are chasing promotion next January then I'm sure TS won't mind if you sell your house to fund it. He might even give you a 20% return on your 12 week investment if it succeeds. Lovely jubbly

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    If we escape relegation this time around and are in the same position again next season or maybe if not and we are chasing promotion next January then I'm sure TS won't mind if you sell your house to fund it. He might even give you a 20% return on your 12 week investment if it succeeds. Lovely jubbly
    Why should should I sell up, he chose to be Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post

The worst for me was 1968 when we dropped out of League Division Two (the Championship, as was,) for the first time since we were promoted there. I was born the year of that earlier promotion so had known nothing but life in the Championship for the Millers. We ended the season with a miserable home defeat to Carlisle but were already relegated before that.

We started badly, losing all of our first five league matches, and never really recovered from that. Ironically, it was also the season when we had a good cup run reaching the Fifth Round where we were defeated in a replay by Premiership Leicester City 0-2 after a 1-1 draw at Millmoor.
    I would agree with 1968 CT and for the same reasons.
    Remember the Cup run to the fifth round against Leicester City and being locked out of Filbert Street for the replay!!
    Happy Days !

A striker would have been nice, Brin. But we'd still have, and still do, need a bit more quality in defence and midfield too, which would be an ongoing project with no guarantees. We're talking another three or four players in the price bracket you mentioned, which for us is too much.

One thing's for sure, relegation this time around, if/when it happens is going to hurt much more than two years ago simply because we seem to be so close to being able to compete. Just the last 3 games we could have had 4 more points from teams that were in the Premiership not too long ago. If only some posters on here would have suggested to TS investing back in January we might have been OK!

I think this time hurts but he most since if it wasn’t for poor refs we would have been long safe.

Honestly it feels like we got forced out of this league because we are little Rotherham

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    I think this time hurts but he most since if it wasn’t for poor refs we would have been long safe.

Honestly it feels like we got forced out of this league because we are little Rotherham
    Our “gamesmanship” isn’t as good as the majority in this league.

As a team we’re too honest

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast