+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: o//t what's the most painful millers relegation you have witnessed?

o//t what's the most painful millers relegation you have witnessed?

Got a feeling this season if we go down, is going to really hurt, simply because, we are so close and it will only be down to not investing one a couple of players in January.

Which Millers relegation has been the most painful one for you and why?

I think the last time we were relegated was much more painful than this season would be because of how awful we were.

If we went down this season I'd be happy at the way they've conducted themselves and excited for the prospect of promotion and coming back even stronger the next season.

All of them.

Promises followed by disaster is the usual recipe

I remember one in the nineties where we were 2-0 down to the champions elect Cambridge and fought back to win 3-2 only for results to go against us and send us down. That was a bit harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    I remember one in the nineties where we were 2-0 down to the champions elect Cambridge and fought back to win 3-2 only for results to go against us and send us down. That was a bit harsh.
    Think that was the 90/91 season. Results going against us meant we'd have to go to Bradford on the final day and win 26-0 to have any chance of staying up!

I can't think of one that we've not seen coming for some time before it's happened. IBS could be right, this one could hurt if it happens.

Didn't witness it personally (i.e. wasn't there on the day) but I guess drawing with Leeds the last day of the 1982-3 season when a win would have kept us in the old Division 2. Remember thinking at the time it could be a long time before we get back to this level and it was, 18 years. In fact, by the time we got back there it had become Division 1

Hated the feeing of "Snakes and Ladders" when we went from the League 1 to League 2 in 2007 after descending from the Championship just one season before.

But the worst for me was 1968 when we dropped out of League Division Two (the Championship, as was,) for the first time since we were promoted there. I was born the year of that earlier promotion so had known nothing but life in the Championship for the Millers. We ended the season with a miserable home defeat to Carlisle but were already relegated before that.

We started badly, losing all of our first five league matches, and never really recovered from that. Ironically, it was also the season when we had a good cup run reaching the Fifth Round where we were defeated in a replay by Premiership Leicester City 0-2 after a 1-1 draw at Millmoor.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Didn't witness it personally (i.e. wasn't there on the day) but I guess drawing with Leeds the last day of the 1982-3 season when a win would have kept us in the old Division 2. Remember thinking at the time it could be a long time before we get back to this level and it was, 18 years. In fact, by the time we got back there it had become Division 1

I remember that one very well, went with my dad.
    Quite a few mates from school were Leeds fans and deliberately went in the stand next to the away end instead of the Gelder's end, they usually went.
    Tossers lol

Quote Originally Posted by MagyarMiller View Post
    I remember that one very well, went with my dad.
    Quite a few mates from school were Leeds fans and deliberately went in the stand next to the away end instead of the Gelder's end, they usually went.
    Tossers lol
    Was living in Northants at the time so back in those days the only way to keep informed was via Radio 2/Grandstand/World of Sports updates or phone. Decided to go and hit a few golf balls on a local field to take my mind off the game and must admit when I finally saw the result it was the closest I think I ever came to tears over a football match except when watching the events at Bradford and Hillsborough in the years following.

For me it has to be purely and simply Warne's first part season in charge. He must have thought 'What have I let myself in for?'
    Truth was he wasn't to blame at all but, to see us being beat week in week out must have been so demoralising for him.

As a S/T holder it was truly awful to have to sit there and just have to take it on the chin. Poorest season ever for me as a fan of 52 years.

Should we go down this season, it will hurt as like IBS has already pointed out, but for a couple of players being brought in January then we may not even be in this position. Still all to play for so we press on.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast