+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Manager

The problem for me with Shan is what happens next season if we get promoted via the Play Offs or not.

Surely this squad needs substantial changes irrespective of what league we are in. Shan in my opinion is nowhere near ready to manage of our first team, but he certainly is not ready to completely overhaul the squad. No doubt a good bloke who works hard and a decent coach but we are WBA not a lower league team where you can get some experience.

I think that whoever we get we should wait until season end. No one with anything to offer will consider us before they know what division we will be in and what budget they will have. I'd keep Shan until that point and then give him his old job back. The bloke has never pretended he's ready for the job he now has. He is probably like the rest of us and can't believe he's still holding the reigns after 6 games given our boards sheer incompetence. I can't understand why people think anyone unless they are desperate would take this on at this stage. Shan has done enough to see the season through IMO although he isn't the answer beyond season end.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    The problem for me with Shan is what happens next season if we get promoted via the Play Offs or not.

Surely this squad needs substantial changes irrespective of what league we are in. Shan in my opinion is nowhere near ready to manage of our first team, but he certainly is not ready to completely overhaul the squad. No doubt a good bloke who works hard and a decent coach but we are WBA not a lower league team where you can get some experience.
    So what would you do Yarm kick him out of the club so he can buzz off and get some ****e experience, he wouldn't learn a thing in a lower league, he has grown with the club, has shown he is quick enough to change things around when needed none of our other recent coaches have done that. Anyone who comes to replace him will be hard pushed to improve the situation and if we are fortunate enough to gain promotion he will need substantial backing, from both club and fans.

We are WBA you say, well we are not so special at the moment and Shan is making a silk purse out of a pigs ear, Moore got the sack because we were on a bit of a freefall, he (Moore) has stated he would not have changed a thing so it's pretty well a given we would be well out of contention by now...Shan has turned it round and Baggies are in the ascendancy once moore....did you see what I did there?...

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post

Surely we want promotion via the play offs. And if that happens we would keep Shan on as manager/head coach?

The overhaul of the squad would have the managers input, whoever it is, but would largely be arranged by the Technical Director wouldn't it?

It's the same model we've had for years and why we name the position as 'Head coach' rather than 'Manager'....

Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    [/B]

Shan has ambition...strange that eveyone wants to stab him in the back.
    I certainly don't want to do that anymore than Moore was, its just that we lack serious Ambition, caretaker managers are a short term fix. Shan needs to practice on lower league clubs, get a reputation as a manager (I'm sure he already does as a coach).....and then be a name that a club with a history like ours can get excited about. This is how it used to be. I hope Shan somehow gets us up and at this moment in time it makes sense not to change things again. All the best to him.

In the pub before tonight's game and Brighton fans have had enough of Hughton's brand of football (think Pulis) so a definite no from me.
    And this before their result tonight.

If Saturday's game was anything to go by it seems that we dodged a bullett by Neil deciding to stay with PNE. It was the worst defending I've seen all season and I've watched all the home games and quite a few away games. They were shambolic. They made our defence look solid and that's saying something!

I believe we ‘suffered’ from knee jerk reactions in dismissing managers. (Pulis included) For me, it generally only makes sense to sack, when there is a definite improvement replacement in the sidelines.
    Managerial scouting seems lacking ?

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    I believe we ‘suffered’ from knee jerk reactions in dismissing managers. (Pulis included) For me, it generally only makes sense to sack, when there is a definite improvement replacement in the sidelines.
    Managerial scouting seems lacking ?
    You have hit the nail on the head Prando!!!!

I keep saying it and hardly anyone listens but we should not be getting ourselves into the situation where we are making temporary appointments because our forward planning is almost non existent.

Who seriously, say 6 months ago, thought that Shan would be a great appointment as head coach/manager, experienced enough to get us up and then streetwise enough to manage the changes to the squad that are needed, no matter what league we are in next year.

Who seriously believe that our experienced players really respect Shan and look up to him to develop their careers. How many of them are hoping or expecting him to be out of a job soon. Hardly his players, his team and hardly his fault as well. I have never slagged off Shan. He is hardworking, and doing the best job that he can in difficult circumstances due to the lack of planning by the people above him.

What we do though need is an experienced manager/head coach in my opinion. If Shan survives into next season expect changes a la Moore as soon as he hits 3 bad results on the trot whenever that may be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)