+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: o/t Notre-Dame on fire

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    3 donations of over 4 hundred thousand euros one being from Total oil for 2 hundred thousand.

People wearing black ties!

Rubber neckers lining the banks of the river seine!

Churches holding special preying services.!

This is an insured ancient building that has burned-out. No one has died! Only one fire fighter has been injured.

The world has gone mad!
    I get some of that Frog and yes it pisses me off that they have set a donation fund up but let’s not forget that there are very religious people out there andnsomething like this would be very upsetting for them especially at this time of year.

I myself think it’s quite sad that a building like that has caught fire but I’ll get over it, I’ve easily got over the guest and chrimes

Visibly emotional, Mr Macron said the "worst had been avoided" and vowed to launch an international fundraising scheme to rebuild the cathedral.

Why would one of the 5 richest countries in the world need to do fundraising?

Practically France's economy is run on over charging on insurance policies! This building will be the responsibility of the commune it is based in.

It is sad news but it boils my piss that he should come out with this!
    He’s so anti nationalist it wouldn’t shock me if he lit the fire himself so he could remake the windows to have EU flag on it.

Inappropriate jokes aside he don’t see himself french he sees himself as a European and the reason he said this maybe because he sees this as a Eu responsibility

Anybody recall the EU rallying round when York Minster caught fire in 1984?
    Just asking

3 donations of over 4 hundred thousand euros one being from Total oil for 2 hundred thousand.

People wearing black ties!

Rubber neckers lining the banks of the river seine!

This is an insured ancient building that has burned-out. No one has died! Only one fire fighter has been injured.

The world has gone mad!
    Are you certain that it is insured? That's a lot of risk for someone to take on.

It's a world heritage site at the heart of one of the world's greatest cities. You shouldn't be surprised that there's a bit of fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Are you certain that it is insured? That's a lot of risk for someone to take on.

It's a world heritage site at the heart of one of the world's greatest cities. You shouldn't be surprised that there's a bit of fuss.

Stood for over 800 years with not really a lot of damage history, with the exception of the French Revolution but if insurance was around in those days I'm sure there would have been an insurance get out clause "force majeure" I think it's called, so any "risk" today will no doubt be catered for
    So based on "no claims" history not much of a risk
    Don't think the Catholic church is short of a few bob is it?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post

I am a councillor so I have a bit of insight. Under the umberella of commune assets it should be insured.

The upkeep of ancient monuments are at the expence of the local commune/council. I can't remember the age of a building but it was the 20th century when it was said that any building constructed before this date is an ancient building.

We at our village had some repairs to do on our church. It isn't like in the UK where the Church is responsible, here the council is and to get grants is very difficult. The cost of the repairs which came to arround 80k bacame the burden of the commune. I could give the figures but seriously it left 60k for the people of the village to suck up. The next round of repairs will cost 200k but the can is being kicked down the road.

Incidently the spire on our church burnt down and was rebuilt. I will find out who paid for it.

I am also not sure but I will ask if the government is allowed to donate to the rebuild. Maybe it is for this reason Macron is asking for donations.

Is that to see who they can prey on?
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 16-04-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Stood for over 800 years with not really a lot of damage history, with the exception of the French Revolution but if insurance was around in those days I'm sure there would have been an insurance get out clause "force majeure" I think it's called, so any "risk" today will no doubt be catered for
    So based on "no claims" history not much of a risk
    Don't think the Catholic church is short of a few bob is it?
    Get the Crown of Thorns on eBay and a few other artifacts to pay for the new roof. Worked when I needed one, put all my Millers memorabilia up for sale and nearly got enough for the flashing round the chimney

When asked "how did the fire start?" one eyewitness said, "not quite sure, but he had a hunch"

Tax breaks given on donations to aid the reconstruction.

1bn € raised!

Macron who has never lifted anything heavier than his grandmother wife let a lone a construction workers tool or apart from a construction workers tool has said that the work will be completed in 5 years time.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast