+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: o/t Notre-Dame on fire

As per original post I struggle to find a religious bone in my body but, having visited the place there is/was a calm, tranquil peaceful feeling when you enter (makes you wonder), other religious buildings are available..
    Massive shame it's survived since 12th Century, one revolution, two world wars, a couple of films and finally falls to a renovation "cock up"

In true French fashion Macron will be asking the EU for the repair money.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    In true French fashion Macron will be asking the EU for the repair money.
    Wow, you just managed to somehow use an accidental fire in an 850 year old church to moan about the EU. Rabidly obsessed doesn't even begin to cover a stretch like that.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    Wow, you just managed to somehow use an accidental fire in an 850 year old church to moan about the EU. Rabidly obsessed doesn't even begin to cover a stretch like that.

I like to keep it simple for you.

Still I’m amazed that you already know that it’s an accidental fire.

Visibly emotional, Mr Macron said the "worst had been avoided" and vowed to launch an international fundraising scheme to rebuild the cathedral.

Why would one of the 5 richest countries in the world need to do fundraising?

Practically France's economy is run on over charging on insurance policies! This building will be the responsibility of the commune it is based in.

It is sad news but it boils my piss that he should come out with this!

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    "rabidly obsessed" really?

gf said "In true French fashion Macron will be asking the EU for the repair money."

Yep that's a rabidly obsessed comment alright

I think your comment John fits that description far more closely

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Just hope Quasimodo got out OK.
    ....apparently not; he couldn't hear the fire alarm.......

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    "rabidly obsessed" really?

gf said "In true French fashion Macron will be asking the EU for the repair money."

Yep that's a rabidly obsessed comment alright

I think your comment John fits that description far more closely

Here’s the latest from the bloke that thinks brexiteers are going to hell.

“Offers of help with the reconstruction have also poured in from around the globe, with European Council President Donald Tusk calling on EU member states to rally round”

France should have enough money to fund the repairs themselves.

3 donations of over 4 hundred thousand euros one being from Total oil for 2 hundred thousand.

People wearing black ties!

Rubber neckers lining the banks of the river seine!

Churches holding special preying services.!

This is an insured ancient building that has burned-out. No one has died! Only one fire fighter has been injured.

The world has gone mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Here’s the latest from the bloke that thinks brexiteers are going to hell.

“Offers of help with the reconstruction have also poured in from around the globe, with European Council President Donald Tusk calling on EU member states to rally round”

France should have enough money to fund the repairs themselves.
    "Rally round" is a meaningless political gesture just attempting to show solidarity. It does not mean in any way that EU money will be rebuilding Notre Dame.

The whole thing does seem totally overblown, it all appears completely replaceable/salvageable.

Of course I don't know it's accidental, but that is the most reasonable assumption, there's little incentive to maliciously target such a structure. I imagine your default assumption was that it Muslims/immigrants though. As soon as I heard there was construction it reminded me of the Grand Montets cable car fire last year also in France which was undergoing refurbishment and accidentally burnt down taking out one of the most important lifts serving Chamonix. These things do sadly happen when old wooden structures have work done.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast