+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shamima Begum Wants Legal Aid

I think politically and socially differently to everyone on here, so here's my two cents..

Firstly, if some of things reported are true she absolutely deserves our contempt. However, I think everyone should have access to legal aid. Regardless of the crime they are suspected or reported to have done. I personally think she is our problem, she was raised in the UK and is a UK citizen. The government revoking her citizenship so we can just pass her to another country is completely wrong and possibly even unlawful, I would imagine a court of law would agree. She should have a fair trial and if she's found guilty of some of the crimes she is reported of then put her in jail for a very long time.

Again, most of this has been splattered across the tabloids in the last couple of days in order to provoke an emotional response, such as the ones we see here. However, this is one of the fundamental rules of our constitution and the fact we live in a democratic and fair society with an independent judiciary free from government interference. Rules have to be applied equally or we will become a tin pot 3rd world country subject to kangaroo courts.

Let the b'stards that she went to join pay for her expenses, no doubt they will be muslim legal people and will drag the procedings out and the money will go to....who knows?

I believe in legal aid too but not to defend the enemies of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I think politically and socially differently to everyone on here, so here's my two cents..

Firstly, if some of things reported are true she absolutely deserves our contempt. However, I think everyone should have access to legal aid. Regardless of the crime they are suspected or reported to have done. I personally think she is our problem, she was raised in the UK and is a UK citizen. The government revoking her citizenship so we can just pass her to another country is completely wrong and possibly even unlawful, I would imagine a court of law would agree. She should have a fair trial and if she's found guilty of some of the crimes she is reported of then put her in jail for a very long time.

Again, most of this has been splattered across the tabloids in the last couple of days in order to provoke an emotional response, such as the ones we see here. However, this is one of the fundamental rules of our constitution and the fact we live in a democratic and fair society with an independent judiciary free from government interference. Rules have to be applied equally or we will become a tin pot 3rd world country subject to kangaroo courts.
    I appreciate what you are saying and agree the tabloid press have been all over this past few days if not months. They are guilty of inciting hate and being divisive, however in this very instance I think the message needs to be made clear and an example has to be made for those thinking of going overseas to join ISIS - they don’t deserve any rights as it is they who chose to forego. Sooner this precedent is set, the better. We can’t be seen as a soft touch nation by giving criminals so many rights.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post

I do tend to agree with you 123. She is our problem as she was born here and others like her and we simply cannot palm the problem off to someone else like it or not. I also agree that what divides us from ISIS is the fact that we have a constitution of innocence before guilt whereas they do not. My problem with the legal aid issue is that many people such as the relatives of the Birmingham pub bombings have really had to fight for this same aid whereas this woman who voluntarily travelled to a war zone has not so in that respect the law is an ass to quote Dickens.

Ideally, they should pass law that people engaging in these activities revoke all rights to legal aid prior to them travelling but I'm not holding my breath as there are too many who blame everyone else. Personally, I'd like to see all of them in that camp wiped out by a plague but that is just wishful thinking like a lot of the comments on dealing with these ISIS scumbags.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)