+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheffield's loss of form

Sheffield's loss of form

One win in four (should have been one in five except that they luckily beat us)...apparently not playing well, and now with three key players out for at least the next few games (injured Basham and Sharp; red card ban for Egan).

This coincides with our walking wounded all now healed. If I was looking from the outside, I'd be strongly backing Leeds right now. If we can win two (Wigan and Ipswich) and draw at least one of the last four games, then Sheffield will need to remain unbeaten...winning at least three of the four. That's a really tough ask for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintadore View Post
    One win in four (should have been one in five except that they luckily beat us)...apparently not playing well, and now with three key players out for at least the next few games (injured Basham and Sharp; red card ban for Egan).

This coincides with our walking wounded all now healed. If I was looking from the outside, I'd be strongly backing Leeds right now. If we can win two (Wigan and Ipswich) and draw at least one of the last four games, then Sheffield will need to remain unbeaten...winning at least three of the four. That's a really tough ask for them.
    Not so sure about how far they have dropped off in form. I've seen their last couple and they still looked quite sharp with the ball to me. Thought they looked the better team in both contests, so wouldn't go selling them short just yet! A couple of injuries from Saturday's game looks to be just as big an issue as form.

I dont think its productive or meaningful to analyze the form of Sheffield United. The bottom line is: if Leeds get 10 points in the last 4 matches, Leeds go up. If we dont get 10 points, it allows Sheffield United in with a chance to finish ahead of us. Just got to concentrate on our own matches. Try to catch Norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    I dont think its productive or meaningful to analyze the form of Sheffield United. The bottom line is: if Leeds get 10 points in the last 4 matches, Leeds go up. If we dont get 10 points, it allows Sheffield United in with a chance to finish ahead of us. Just got to concentrate on our own matches. Try to catch Norwich.
    I think I've said before that I never see it that way Cherry. Naturally if we keep winning, it won't matter what Sheffield does. But.... I also said previously we would need a bit of assistance from others to get us over the line. We are now 3 points instead of 1 in front simply due to Millwall scoring late against Blunts! So Sheffield's form does concern us...IMO that is.

Funny thing, Cherry...back in January I was feeling bullish about us, but as the finishing line has gotten nearer...and nearer...and nearer, my bull has shrivelled to the size of a gnat. Right now, I'd accept us losing all of our last four games, so long as Sheffield can only draw two of theirs. Sure I'd be a basket case by the final whistle of the final game, but right now I just want us to finish second...so I fully agree that our form is most important, but the form of others is too...to gnat sized me anyway.
    Last edited by Flintadore; 16-04-2019 at 02:18 AM.

100% agree. It's in our hands, and spending even a millisecond on considering what Sheffield or anyone else will do in their games is wasted effort.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    100% agree. It's in our hands, and spending even a millisecond on considering what Sheffield or anyone else will do in their games is wasted effort.
    Can recall you thanking Brum recently for drawing with Sheffield, hence putting it back in our hands? But you don't worry about other results then??? Yeah right....

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    Can recall you thanking Brum recently for drawing with Sheffield, hence putting it back in our hands? But you don't worry about other results then??? Yeah right....
    Never miss a chance do you? Only there isn't one. I didn't "worry about other results", I commented on past history, on a result that did us a favour, emphasis on the past tense, as opposed to any concern about future events.

Would I like Sheffield to foul up? Yes. Do I think anyone should be doing any work to establish if they will, or might? No. Ok pumpkin?

All your comments are well taken. The other point i tried to make but didnt clarify is that its virtually impossible to predict form these last few weeks. Sheffield united did not concede a goal in 7 matches then concede 3 at home to bristol city which is not a free scoring team. On our part we have bamford who has not put a shot on target from outside the box or with his head, scoring from 20 yards and heading home against Preston. He follows up with missing a sitter from 6 yards against wednesday. Speculating on form is just too tough. I can tell you that wigan have won 1 game all season away from home but that doesnt comfort me.

All your comments are well taken. The other point i tried to make but didnt clarify is that its virtually impossible to predict form these last few weeks. Sheffield united did not concede a goal in 7 matches then concede 3 at home to bristol city which is not a free scoring team. On our part we have bamford who has not put a shot on target from outside the box or with his head, scoring from 20 yards and heading home against Preston. He follows up with missing a sitter from 6 yards against wednesday. Speculating on form is just too tough. I can tell you that wigan have won 1 game all season away from home but that doesnt comfort me.
    As with the previous post, spot on.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)