+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Congratulations to the under 23's

How does everyone think will leave in the summer? The free up some spaces and money.

We are in a good position,. as everyone has had their time, so no complaints.

I think the following will leave.
    Smallwood
    Mulgrew
    Rodwell
    Gladwin (if we can ever get him fit enough to get shut of him)
    *Reed (we wont see him again and he has already returned to Saints due to injury) plus he was a loan
    Nuttall
    Downing
    Leutwiller
    Not sure on all the young players, a few will leave and be released.

Not convinced that Mulgrew will leave. He has been in poor form recently, but that might be temporary. He has always lacked pace, but I'm not sure TM actually wants TWO Lenihan-style centre-backs. He seems to prefer one who is a bit more of a ball-player. (Of course, that idea goes all the way back to Bobby Moore and Jack Charlton!)
    Gladwin is a puzzle. He has had very little chance to prove himself. It might be that some D.1 manager will take a punt on him and get someone who is pretty good at that level on a free transfer.
    The rest in your list will probably go. Rodwell is interesting, though. We still don't know if any "character" issues have come to the surface again, but he hasn't been mentioned much recently. He is another who could go either way, in career terms. He has only just turned 28, after all. I wonder if it would make sense for an ambitious young manager to sign him and make him captain. I can't help thinking it would be a pity if his talent goes to waste.
    As for Nuttall, I think he will go if Mowbray can get an experienced back-up for Graham's No. 9 spot.
    The Under-23 squad also provides some areas of speculation.
    A number of the "expected" ones seem to have moved down the pecking-order. Robin mentioned Jack Doyle, and I think Wharton and Platt may fall into the same category, along with Lewis Mansell up front.
    At one point, those four seemed to be rated very highly, but I'm not sure their being loaned out has actually helped their cause! Certainly, at centre-back, we now hear more about Magloire and Grayson.
    Interestingly, Hart HAS done well on loan, and this lad, Lewis Thompson, also appears to be highly regarded as a left-back.
    Presumably, there will be a clear-out of the older Development Squad players this summer, as a number of younger ones are coming through strongly.
    Alf mentioned the wastage-rate, and it is one of the saddest aspects of professional football, especially for those who have been on a club's books since they were toddlers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)