+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Easter Footy

Easter Footy

I used to love the Easter football program. It was a cliche that "Easter will decide the title/relegation matters"

Always good crowds, usually a spicy derby to watch and a long weekend to enjoy it all.

But as Burnley fans all we have got is an away match in London.

It was an important part of the English season - bring it back I say!

That was when Football was on a more level playing field 59, when the FA Cup meant something, every game at 3pm on Saturday with titbits of Tuesday or Wednesday night games thrown into the mix to wet our appetite, when playing for the shirt was more important than a £ note, Grounds where there was a real atmosphere and a certain smell where you'd love to take your children, proper men playing who didn't fall to the floor like wimps, programmes with HT cards to check on the ABC boards for half time scores, one substitute, standing up, a decent cup of Oxo/Bovril at half time which didn't cost the earth, singing variety of songs on the Long Side, waiting for the Pink to arrive at 5pm on Saturday, waiting up for News At Ten when we was away unable to attend an away game to get the final score as it was not on the radio, I used to get out of bed when still at School and creep to the top of our landing to listen and not be noticed by Mum and Dad downstairs, and play on Pitch's like below...…..

there was a buzz in the build up....the rise was strong with it's function, but nowadays it just seems to slope along....falling flat before the end.

that's a fine image - Alto !

(Preston North End v Charlton Athletic in February 1937)

Last edited by Norder; 18-04-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I used to love the Easter football program. It was a cliche that "Easter will decide the title/relegation matters"

Always good crowds, usually a spicy derby to watch and a long weekend to enjoy it all.

But as Burnley fans all we have got is an away match in London.

It was an important part of the English season - bring it back I say!
    Well, well, well, whoever would have thought it, turns out you're just like the rest of us after all 59, a tired old man, yearning for the past.

Into my heart, an air that kills,
    from yon far country blows,
    what are those blue remembered hills,
    what spires, what farms are those,
    that is the land of lost content,
    I see it shining plain,
    those happy highways where I went,
    and cannot come again.

Welcome to the club.

Oh, bloody hell aye Sinkov - I never pretended to be owt else!

I think Alto has nailed it with his post regarding footy.

I would also add proper Sarsaparilla, proper Victory V gums and lozenges, Sunday Night at the London Palladium, steam trains in general use, smoking in public places (including restaurants, cinema's and doctors waiting rooms), proper cowboy programs, comics (I got The Victor, the Eagle and Valiant), the super hero comics (Batman, Superman, The Flash), saturday morning kids cinemas with the lady who used to show you to your seat with a torch, playing out all day with your gang, building bonfires and penny for the guy.
    I remember the kids play area in our local park - it was more like a place of torture. The umbrella, a device that went round at high speed and threatened to crush your knees, the slide with a steel joints badly made that took a slice off your arse, and a bed of sharp cinders to cut open your knees if you fell.

Happy times - I'm glad I'm not growing up these days...

I understand TEC is currently negotiating with DSG to rename this forum, Grumpy Old Clarets.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)