+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Man City v Spurs

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    100% agree. It’s also meant to be for clear and obvious mistakes, which to my mind the City “winner” wasn’t - it was an incredibly marginal offside that no one even appealed for. Reminded me of the third Ajax goal at Real Madrid, when the ref must have spent 2 minutes trying to work out if the ball had gone out by a millimeter for a throw in in the lead up to Tadic’s brilliant goal. VAR shouldn’t be for such 50/50 decisions, to my mind, but instead to stop bad mistakes happening (like dodgy penalties). Mind you, it might also be because I’ve always liked Man City (especially in the days when they were rubbish).
    That last goal is the best example you'll ever see of a clear and obvious error.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    That last goal is the best example you'll ever see of a clear and obvious error.
    Disagree. No one watching in real time thought it was offside, so how it that clear and obvious? It took detailed study of the video to say it was possibly offside (and I’m still not convinced - but accept I am biased in City’s favour).

Anyway, we’ll done Spurs for riding their luck and setting up a cracking tie against Ajax. My money is on an Ajax-Barcelona final..

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Amazing game but VAR is killing the most important thing in football, the ecstasy of celebrating a goal.
    Never in the history of football has it been preferable or acceptable for decisions to be wrong. VAR simply reduces the number of wrong decisions. If Spurs had gone out tonight to an illegal goal then that would not have been fair and it would not have been in the best interests of the sport. The final "goal" was offside and that's all there is to it, no matter how enthusiastic the celebrations were.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Disagree. No one watching in real time thought it was offside, so how it that clear and obvious? It took detailed study of the video to say it was possibly offside (and I’m still not convinced - but accept I am biased in City’s favour).

Anyway, we’ll done Spurs for riding their luck and setting up a cracking tie against Ajax. My money is on an Ajax-Barcelona final..
    I don't think clear and obvious means that people on the pitch saw it, otherwise you wouldn't need VAR, it means clear and obvious from the replay, and offsides are probably the best example of VAR working well.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I don't think clear and obvious means that people on the pitch saw it, otherwise you wouldn't need VAR, it means clear and obvious from the replay, and offsides are probably the best example of VAR working well.
    Absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Never in the history of football has it been preferable or acceptable for decisions to be wrong. VAR simply reduces the number of wrong decisions. If Spurs had gone out tonight to an illegal goal then that would not have been fair and it would not have been in the best interests of the sport. The final "goal" was offside and that's all there is to it, no matter how enthusiastic the celebrations were.
    I agree, I don’t get this anti-var rhetoric. Surely everyone wants to go home knowing that the correct result was obtained?

Football fans are a strange breed.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Amazing game but VAR is killing the most important thing in football, the ecstasy of celebrating a goal.
    Team A scores a goal = ecstasy for Team A fans! It's disallowed by VAR = ecstasy for team B fans! There you are - twice the ecstasy!

Ha ha I can't believe people argue against VAR getting decisions right and actually making the result of a game fair after years and years of people moaning that they get game changing decisions wrong! Even more so as we could have done with VAR against Coventry. So what if City fans celebrated, it wasn't a goal end of. Well done Spurs who continually keep on par with teams spending 150 million a transfer window.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Ha ha I can't believe people argue against VAR getting decisions right and actually making the result of a game fair after years and years of people moaning that they get game changing decisions wrong! Even more so as we could have done with VAR against Coventry. So what if City fans celebrated, it wasn't a goal end of. Well done Spurs who continually keep on par with teams spending 150 million a transfer window.
    I was about to put something similar.

I rarely watch Premiership football but as this was a European tie I thought i'd make the effort... and i am glad i did. As a neutral it was thoroughly enjoyable. I was delighted when it looked like Sterling had won it for City, then equally delighted when he hadn't.

Some of those players make it look a different sport to what we witness down the Lane.
    Not Deli Ali though, he'd struggle to make our midfield.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast