+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Centenary Match 1919 - 2019.............

FA Vase runners up Cray Valley (PM) are looking to play someone to celebrate their Centenary in pre-season. As Queens haven’t got a team lined up, perhaps a game against them would be appropriate!

Now that the club have shown off their centenary top which looks very attractive just what has happened about the Centenary match we were being promised. If a meaningful game cannot be arranged then fair enough but I do think the supporters deserved to be kept informed of these events especially in such a special year.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    Now that the club have shown off their centenary top which looks very attractive just what has happened about the Centenary match we were being promised. If a meaningful game cannot be arranged then fair enough but I do think the supporters deserved to be kept informed of these events especially in such a special year.

spike the prob is with our surface the big english teams wont play on it ,then theres our chairman who doesnt seem to do anything ,never hear a toss from him ,he is just happy to let queens tick along with no ambition or drive ,while he is in office i cant see queens doing anything great never mind a one off friendly with someone decent .iv notice alot of the hardcore faithful starting to smell the coffee of late .

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post

According to a Palmerston source there won’t be a Centenary game but it wasn’t for the lack of trying.

With Queens having a free weekend, this would have been an ideal time to have played a Centenary Match.

Nithsdale Wanderers would have been the club to play 100 years on from Queens first match against that club.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    With Queens having a free weekend, this would have been an ideal time to have played a Centenary Match.

Nithsdale Wanderers would have been the club to play 100 years on from Queens first match against that club.
    Given we only knew we would be free this weekend after the recent Betfred cup game at Morton it might have been tricky to get things organised. Had we qualified we would have been in action this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobmeister View Post
    Given we only knew we would be free this weekend after the recent Betfred cup game at Morton it might have been tricky to get things organised. Had we qualified we would have been in action this weekend.
    I know that although a game could still have been organised.

I don't agree at all I'm afraid. Had the club announced a centenary match with less than 3 weeks notice they would have been roundly criticised for devaluing the event and rightly so IMHO. In addition which desirable opposition would take on such a game at such short notice. Was never a realistic option.

i suppose getting nithsdale at late notice shouldnt have been a hard task ,as you say it was our fist game 100 years ago ,but somehow i just dont see big numbers of fans wishing to attend this sort of fixture ,but as you say its at the least a centenary game and one with the said connections .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    i suppose getting nithsdale at late notice shouldnt have been a hard task ,as you say it was our fist game 100 years ago ,but somehow i just dont see big numbers of fans wishing to attend this sort of fixture ,but as you say its at the least a centenary game and one with the said connections .
    The Nithsdale Wanderers of 100 years were on a par with Queens but nowadays are just a amateur team in the Southern Counties League so playing them was never an option. TBH the club have already stated they will wear the 1919 light blue shirts next week versus Ayr and that IMO will be the closest we get to a 100 anniversary game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)