Get your very own personalised The Gelderd End gifts!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Aftermath

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    820

    Aftermath

    At 55 I can't believe I feel as low as when we were cheated in 1975 against Bayern Munich, didn't sleep last night running it over and over in my head about what should have been, how many times does this happen, didn't think at my age and experience I would let Leeds lull me into a false sense of security yet again, but the ba####ds did, even worse is when they lose to Brentford ( which they will ) and those scummy canaries beat Stoke ( which they will ) the team I love will hand the title to the team I most despise with a passion...football can get no worse than this!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,993
    Must admit I awoke this morning with that 'was it just a bad dream' kind of feeling..then the reality hit me again.
    Lose when the team has given everything and you accept it but yesterday was just a pure bottle job.
    I have got the same feeling which I had when we got relegated from the Premiership/Championship/Play-off failure.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,123
    I've never been so gutted about one game. It wasn't even losing, I can stomach that it was seeing us go 1-0 up with them down to ten men against a team who are the worst in the league away from home. Then watching our team just throw it away, watching them it looked inevitable and the fact we didn't at any point realise Massey was too quick for our centre backs worried me.

    I really hope they come back strong against Brentford, I still see Sheff U and Norwich dropping points but we've got to pick it up. I fear the playoffs as I don't see us doing well in them, we never do and these players look like they cant handle the real pressure, they stepped up when it was a big game but the reality was a loss wasn't the end of the world but yesterday they just froze and bottled it big time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,006
    And today I get bombarded with club emails calling on me to but a Bremner stone, or something nice to celebrate the centenary.

    Both would be nice in the right circumstances, but jees couldn't they pause and show a touch of humility after yesterday?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    469
    That was potentially the worst result ever I've seen as another 55 yr old supporter. Hitching, Newport etc. Bielsa's nervousness seems to be rubbing off on the players who can't deal with the clubs and supporters expectations. And his team selections ... WTF, I'm just baffled by them. We were always gonna!get caught down our left. Any manager worth his salt should see Alioski is a liability as a defender,. I.e. he's hardly ever in a left back position. And when he is attacking, Harrison should be covering him but I looked for him along that line a few times and don't know where the hell he was. Bielsa quite rightly takes the blame as IMO, the buck stops with him.



    (I hate predictive text, so do you WTF but I wouldn't be petty enough to call you out on it ��)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,006
    Quote Originally Posted by denver11 View Post
    That was potentially the worst result ever I've seen as another 55 yr old supporter. Hitching, Newport etc. Bielsa's nervousness seems to be rubbing off on the players who can't deal with the clubs and supporters expectations. And his team selections ... WTF, I'm just baffled by them. We were always gonna!get caught down our left. Any manager worth his salt should see Alioski is a liability as a defender,. I.e. he's hardly ever in a left back position. And when he is attacking, Harrison should be covering him but I looked for him along that line a few times and don't know where the hell he was. Bielsa quite rightly takes the blame as IMO, the buck stops with him.



    (I hate predictive text, so do you WTF but I wouldn't be petty enough to call you out on it ��)
    😉

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    840
    Jeez, all this talk of 'the players bottled it' is starting to irritate now, they may have played poorly yesterday, but fks sake, reading some on here you'd think they did it on purpose, which is of course fkn ridiculous. The truth of the matter is that this group of players have over-performed in 85% of the games they've played this season, but unfortunately because they are not Man City or Barcelona sometimes collectively or individually they don't perform as we would all wish. And what the fk do people expect??? Like I said we're not a team packed with world class players. So that means that some games Pablo fks up - that is of course why he's playing for us and not Liverpool. Why do you think Harrison is turning out for us and not Man City - because he's not fkn de Bruyne that's why. For every player, they have a level of performance e.g. when Aguero shoots maybe 85% of the time he gets it right, when Bamford or Roofe shoot then they get it right maybe 55% of the time - that's why Aguero is a 75m player and Roofe and Bamford play for us. Same for Alioski, if he had a pinpoint crossing accuracy of, say, 80%, instead of the 40-50% he manages then he wouldn't be playing for us would he???

    So, when we get a bad day when more of our players fluff their lines (maybe because they're human beings, and yes, did feel the pressure yesterday - but then it could be argued that can happen to human beings, no matter how much they're paid....) then a result like yesterday might happen. But even then it also takes luck (or lack of it). For example, I bet Forrestieri has tried to connect like he did yesterday 50 times and his goal yesterday just happened to be the time when it all came together, whereas the 49 previous times it didn't, and the effort ballooned over the bar or drifted harmlessly wide. Same for Adam Reach's goal against us earlier this season - 49 times out of 50 that would not have gone in. And yesterday, if luck had been with us, Roofe might have scored, Bamford might have scored again, Pablo would have scored the pen, one of our long range shots would have flown in etc etc etc, or of course Macey might have fluffed either or both of his chances. Now, of course, with better players then the chances of making the right decision go up, the chances of making the killer pass go up, the chances of making the right connection go up - but then of course (as above) that's what the big clubs pay the big bucks for - the chances of a player 'doing the right thing' is higher, (but they can still fk up of course, it's just less likely). But we can't pay the big bucks, so we have players who are sometimes brilliant, and are sometimes not brilliant, and there's nothing that's going to change that until we can shop at Harrods rather than Tescos. And as long as we're shopping at Tescos then Tescos results are going to happen. The nightmare for all us fans is that unluckily one of those Tescos performances happened yesterday.

    Yesterday was terrible, but there's no way the players weren't trying, it'd depressing yes, but in the end we lost because unfortunately too many of the players were on the wrong side of their % chances of 'doing it right'. And even when that happens sometimes wins are flooked, but sadly Lady Luck was looking elsewhere yesterday.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by OldWhiteTaff View Post
    Jeez, all this talk of 'the players bottled it' is starting to irritate now, they may have played poorly yesterday, but fks sake, reading some on here you'd think they did it on purpose, which is of course fkn ridiculous. The truth of the matter is that this group of players have over-performed in 85% of the games they've played this season, but unfortunately because they are not Man City or Barcelona sometimes collectively or individually they don't perform as we would all wish. And what the fk do people expect??? Like I said we're not a team packed with world class players. So that means that some games Pablo fks up - that is of course why he's playing for us and not Liverpool. Why do you think Harrison is turning out for us and not Man City - because he's not fkn de Bruyne that's why. For every player, they have a level of performance e.g. when Aguero shoots maybe 85% of the time he gets it right, when Bamford or Roofe shoot then they get it right maybe 55% of the time - that's why Aguero is a 75m player and Roofe and Bamford play for us. Same for Alioski, if he had a pinpoint crossing accuracy of, say, 80%, instead of the 40-50% he manages then he wouldn't be playing for us would he???

    So, when we get a bad day when more of our players fluff their lines (maybe because they're human beings, and yes, did feel the pressure yesterday - but then it could be argued that can happen to human beings, no matter how much they're paid....) then a result like yesterday might happen. But even then it also takes luck (or lack of it). For example, I bet Forrestieri has tried to connect like he did yesterday 50 times and his goal yesterday just happened to be the time when it all came together, whereas the 49 previous times it didn't, and the effort ballooned over the bar or drifted harmlessly wide. Same for Adam Reach's goal against us earlier this season - 49 times out of 50 that would not have gone in. And yesterday, if luck had been with us, Roofe might have scored, Bamford might have scored again, Pablo would have scored the pen, one of our long range shots would have flown in etc etc etc, or of course Macey might have fluffed either or both of his chances. Now, of course, with better players then the chances of making the right decision go up, the chances of making the killer pass go up, the chances of making the right connection go up - but then of course (as above) that's what the big clubs pay the big bucks for - the chances of a player 'doing the right thing' is higher, (but they can still fk up of course, it's just less likely). But we can't pay the big bucks, so we have players who are sometimes brilliant, and are sometimes not brilliant, and there's nothing that's going to change that until we can shop at Harrods rather than Tescos. And as long as we're shopping at Tescos then Tescos results are going to happen. The nightmare for all us fans is that unluckily one of those Tescos performances happened yesterday.

    Yesterday was terrible, but there's no way the players weren't trying, it'd depressing yes, but in the end we lost because unfortunately too many of the players were on the wrong side of their % chances of 'doing it right'. And even when that happens sometimes wins are flooked, but sadly Lady Luck was looking elsewhere yesterday.


    Good post and spot on. Let's get to Monday and see if there isn't another twist or turn to come.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldWhiteTaff View Post
    Jeez, all this talk of 'the players bottled it' is starting to irritate now, they may have played poorly yesterday, but fks sake, reading some on here you'd think they did it on purpose, which is of course fkn ridiculous. The truth of the matter is that this group of players have over-performed in 85% of the games they've played this season, but unfortunately because they are not Man City or Barcelona sometimes collectively or individually they don't perform as we would all wish. And what the fk do people expect??? Like I said we're not a team packed with world class players. So that means that some games Pablo fks up - that is of course why he's playing for us and not Liverpool. Why do you think Harrison is turning out for us and not Man City - because he's not fkn de Bruyne that's why. For every player, they have a level of performance e.g. when Aguero shoots maybe 85% of the time he gets it right, when Bamford or Roofe shoot then they get it right maybe 55% of the time - that's why Aguero is a 75m player and Roofe and Bamford play for us. Same for Alioski, if he had a pinpoint crossing accuracy of, say, 80%, instead of the 40-50% he manages then he wouldn't be playing for us would he???

    So, when we get a bad day when more of our players fluff their lines (maybe because they're human beings, and yes, did feel the pressure yesterday - but then it could be argued that can happen to human beings, no matter how much they're paid....) then a result like yesterday might happen. But even then it also takes luck (or lack of it). For example, I bet Forrestieri has tried to connect like he did yesterday 50 times and his goal yesterday just happened to be the time when it all came together, whereas the 49 previous times it didn't, and the effort ballooned over the bar or drifted harmlessly wide. Same for Adam Reach's goal against us earlier this season - 49 times out of 50 that would not have gone in. And yesterday, if luck had been with us, Roofe might have scored, Bamford might have scored again, Pablo would have scored the pen, one of our long range shots would have flown in etc etc etc, or of course Macey might have fluffed either or both of his chances. Now, of course, with better players then the chances of making the right decision go up, the chances of making the killer pass go up, the chances of making the right connection go up - but then of course (as above) that's what the big clubs pay the big bucks for - the chances of a player 'doing the right thing' is higher, (but they can still fk up of course, it's just less likely). But we can't pay the big bucks, so we have players who are sometimes brilliant, and are sometimes not brilliant, and there's nothing that's going to change that until we can shop at Harrods rather than Tescos. And as long as we're shopping at Tescos then Tescos results are going to happen. The nightmare for all us fans is that unluckily one of those Tescos performances happened yesterday.

    Yesterday was terrible, but there's no way the players weren't trying, it'd depressing yes, but in the end we lost because unfortunately too many of the players were on the wrong side of their % chances of 'doing it right'. And even when that happens sometimes wins are flooked, but sadly Lady Luck was looking elsewhere yesterday.
    So taking the "shopping at Tesco" analogy a little further, let's examine (as was being discussed in another thread very recently), the performance if Sheffield United, (who have been shopping at Aldi), for players who seem very capable of responding to pressure and not performing like my local pub team, unlike most of our 1st team against a team with 1 away win before we gifted them their second.

    Good luck, bad luck, FFS! these are PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS who performed no better than the pub team I mention above, and just how many of the many chances we created were anywhere near their supposed target??

    Stop making excuses for pi55-poor performance, and as for the message to the 1st team (as opposed to support for Leeds the club, which is a whole different ball game, literally), it's "get your sh1t together and win games you have no right to lose!!!"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    So taking the "shopping at Tesco" analogy a little further, let's examine (as was being discussed in another thread very recently), the performance if Sheffield United, (who have been shopping at Aldi), for players who seem very capable of responding to pressure and not performing like my local pub team, unlike most of our 1st team against a team with 1 away win before we gifted them their second.

    Good luck, bad luck, FFS! these are PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS who performed no better than the pub team I mention above, and just how many of the many chances we created were anywhere near their supposed target??

    Stop making excuses for pi55-poor performance, and as for the message to the 1st team (as opposed to support for Leeds the club, which is a whole different ball game, literally), it's "get your sh1t together and win games you have no right to lose!!!"
    If The Blunts are so much better than our pub team, and never fluff their lines... how come we are on the same points as them?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,006
    Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    If The Blunts are so much better than our pub team, and never fluff their lines... how come we are on the same points as them?
    They were in League 1 2 seasons ago, now they are aiming for automatic promotion to the Premiership, where WE SHOULD BE AFTER A DECADE of languishing in the second tier, and our 1st team appear not to grasp that significance.

    Do in give a f00k about what points we have? Sure I do.

    Did our 1st team when they played against ten men for 75% of the game yesterday? Not so sure.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    So taking the "shopping at Tesco" analogy a little further, let's examine (as was being discussed in another thread very recently), the performance if Sheffield United, (who have been shopping at Aldi), for players who seem very capable of responding to pressure and not performing like my local pub team, unlike most of our 1st team against a team with 1 away win before we gifted them their second.

    Good luck, bad luck, FFS! these are PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS who performed no better than the pub team I mention above, and just how many of the many chances we created were anywhere near their supposed target??

    Stop making excuses for pi55-poor performance, and as for the message to the 1st team (as opposed to support for Leeds the club, which is a whole different ball game, literally), it's "get your sh1t together and win games you have no right to lose!!!"
    It's just an emotional reaction isn't it. We lost a game we all know we should have cruised, we should have put 4 past them (at least), we should have wiped out the goal difference disparity between us and Sheff Utd etc etc etc And then we saw Norwich drop another 2 points, and look at the table and think fkn hell we'd only be 2 points behind Norwich now, if only.....

    Except like I say, we didn't, and not because our players are 'sh1te' or 'bottlers' - if you want to know about 'sh1te', have a look at Ipswich, or Bolton, or even better, Stoke. Now there's a genuine example of bottlers. As a general rule a team of 'sh1te bottlers' isn't right in the hunt for auto promotion from the Championship with 3 games left..... No, like I say, we lost because we have a team of players who aren't world class, who aren't (probably) even Premier League class, and yesterday, not for want of trying, it really just didn't happen - they've out-performed all expectations this season, but on this occasion they fell short. And this Sheff Utd team which is suddenly the paragon of Championship success, (unlike 48 hours ago when according to quite a few on here they were 'struggling to cope with the pressure'....), that'll be the team that drew at home to Millwall, lost home and away to Bristol City (we didn't), lost to Derby (we didn't), and blew a 3 goal lead at Villa (we didn't).

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldWhiteTaff View Post
    It's just an emotional reaction isn't it. We lost a game we all know we should have cruised, we should have put 4 past them (at least), we should have wiped out the goal difference disparity between us and Sheff Utd etc etc etc And then we saw Norwich drop another 2 points, and look at the table and think fkn hell we'd only be 2 points behind Norwich now, if only.....

    Except like I say, we didn't, and not because our players are 'sh1te' or 'bottlers' - if you want to know about 'sh1te', have a look at Ipswich, or Bolton, or even better, Stoke. Now there's a genuine example of bottlers. As a general rule a team of 'sh1te bottlers' isn't right in the hunt for auto promotion from the Championship with 3 games left..... No, like I say, we lost because we have a team of players who aren't world class, who aren't (probably) even Premier League class, and yesterday, not for want of trying, it really just didn't happen - they've out-performed all expectations this season, but on this occasion they fell short. And this Sheff Utd team which is suddenly the paragon of Championship success, (unlike 48 hours ago when according to quite a few on here they were 'struggling to cope with the pressure'....), that'll be the team that drew at home to Millwall, lost home and away to Bristol City (we didn't), lost to Derby (we didn't), and blew a 3 goal lead at Villa (we didn't).
    Read my response to Denver's comment abiut us "bottling it".

    We didn't. We're just not consistently good enough.

    But......for once, in almost a decade, we seemed to have the chance to make something magical happen. We've never been a Scum, or Chelski, or Sh1tty, always been penny pinching and always (and I mean ALWAYS), played secind fiddle in the financial aspects of football, but for once that seemed not to matter, but we just haven't been consistently good enough. Folks may hate Norwich, but look at their results and tell me you wouldn't want what they have delivered, and like Blunts, without spending a kings ransom to do so. Why can't we do that?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    They were in League 1 2 seasons ago, now they are aiming for automatic promotion to the Premiership, where WE SHOULD BE AFTER A DECADE of languishing in the second tier, and our 1st team appear not to grasp that significance.

    Do in give a f00k about what points we have? Sure I do.

    Did our 1st team when they played against ten men for 75% of the game yesterday? Not so sure.
    Stop doing your usual deflecting/side tracking/back tracking.

    What has the division the Blunts were playing in last 1 or 2 seasons got to do with the here and now?
    They've had 13 players in and 12 out in just the last season alone.

    You have been bashing the team (yet again) calling them a pub team and bottlers! While telling us how the Blunts can handle the pressure......
    Yet we both have the same amount of points.. = same amount of "bottling", as OWTaff say's these are not PL players.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by OldWhiteTaff View Post
    Jeez, all this talk of 'the players bottled it' is starting to irritate now, they may have played poorly yesterday, but fks sake, reading some on here you'd think they did it on purpose, which is of course fkn ridiculous. The truth of the matter is that this group of players have over-performed in 85% of the games they've played this season, but unfortunately because they are not Man City or Barcelona sometimes collectively or individually they don't perform as we would all wish. And what the fk do people expect??? Like I said we're not a team packed with world class players. So that means that some games Pablo fks up - that is of course why he's playing for us and not Liverpool. Why do you think Harrison is turning out for us and not Man City - because he's not fkn de Bruyne that's why. For every player, they have a level of performance e.g. when Aguero shoots maybe 85% of the time he gets it right, when Bamford or Roofe shoot then they get it right maybe 55% of the time - that's why Aguero is a 75m player and Roofe and Bamford play for us. Same for Alioski, if he had a pinpoint crossing accuracy of, say, 80%, instead of the 40-50% he manages then he wouldn't be playing for us would he???

    So, when we get a bad day when more of our players fluff their lines (maybe because they're human beings, and yes, did feel the pressure yesterday - but then it could be argued that can happen to human beings, no matter how much they're paid....) then a result like yesterday might happen. But even then it also takes luck (or lack of it). For example, I bet Forrestieri has tried to connect like he did yesterday 50 times and his goal yesterday just happened to be the time when it all came together, whereas the 49 previous times it didn't, and the effort ballooned over the bar or drifted harmlessly wide. Same for Adam Reach's goal against us earlier this season - 49 times out of 50 that would not have gone in. And yesterday, if luck had been with us, Roofe might have scored, Bamford might have scored again, Pablo would have scored the pen, one of our long range shots would have flown in etc etc etc, or of course Macey might have fluffed either or both of his chances. Now, of course, with better players then the chances of making the right decision go up, the chances of making the killer pass go up, the chances of making the right connection go up - but then of course (as above) that's what the big clubs pay the big bucks for - the chances of a player 'doing the right thing' is higher, (but they can still fk up of course, it's just less likely). But we can't pay the big bucks, so we have players who are sometimes brilliant, and are sometimes not brilliant, and there's nothing that's going to change that until we can shop at Harrods rather than Tescos. And as long as we're shopping at Tescos then Tescos results are going to happen. The nightmare for all us fans is that unluckily one of those Tescos performances happened yesterday.

    Yesterday was terrible, but there's no way the players weren't trying, it'd depressing yes, but in the end we lost because unfortunately too many of the players were on the wrong side of their % chances of 'doing it right'. And even when that happens sometimes wins are flooked, but sadly Lady Luck was looking elsewhere yesterday.
    Lady luck gave us a red card a penalty and a lead and we still f it up. Players have come short this year and last, when the preasure is on so don't go about the lady luck thing. I feel we have stuffed up this time and no way back as at playoff time we will be under preasure and you know how well we handle that.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    If The Blunts are so much better than our pub team, and never fluff their lines... how come we are on the same points as them?
    Because there is our little sister and she doesn't get as much money to spend but somehow finds a way.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,993
    Well if it wasn't bottle job then I can honestly say I really don't know what one is!

    One of the poorest sides in the division who had won just one f*cking game in nine..down to 10 men and a goal down with over 70 minutes to go..and they manage to win..hard to believe really when you look at whats at stake.



    Ok then..lets scrap the 'bottle job' and just call it a 'complete f*ck up'.

    There...thats better.

    FFS!
    Last edited by Rev72; 20-04-2019 at 09:57 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,006
    Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    Stop doing your usual deflecting/side tracking/back tracking.

    What has the division the Blunts were playing in last 1 or 2 seasons got to do with the here and now?
    They've had 13 players in and 12 out in just the last season alone.

    You have been bashing the team (yet again) calling them a pub team and bottlers! While telling us how the Blunts can handle the pressure......
    Yet we both have the same amount of points.. = same amount of "bottling", as OWTaff say's these are not PL players.
    Stop drinking the meths! I'm not deflecting, sidetracking or backtracking, far from it. Less "looking at the world through rose coloured glasses" than many, you included.

    Are you for real?? "What has the division the Blunts were playing in last 1 or 2 seasons got to do with the here and now"???? Are you serious?

    We've been in this sh1thole meatgrinder for a f00king decade, and we get near the possibility of an automatic promotion place, and we surrender (,not for the first time), that certainty because the players either can't or won't step up and deliver. Blunts come up from League 1 and spending next to f00k all (like we have this season), seem to have sussed in one season what it's taken us a decade not to.

    And "bashing the team", is presumably criticism of criticism of their performance, care to highlight the positives? Good luck with that.

    And as your last comment, how about "One season in this division versus ten", who do you think has done a better job of it, seeing as were both on the same points?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    824
    Best Season in 15 year for us and it isn't over yet.

    MOT

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,006
    Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    Stop doing your usual deflecting/side tracking/back tracking.

    What has the division the Blunts were playing in last 1 or 2 seasons got to do with the here and now?
    They've had 13 players in and 12 out in just the last season alone.

    You have been bashing the team (yet again) calling them a pub team and bottlers! While telling us how the Blunts can handle the pressure......
    Yet we both have the same amount of points.. = same amount of "bottling", as OWTaff say's these are not PL players.
    And on the last comment, no we don't have many players who could cut it in the PL, but surely we should aspire to match Norwich and Blunts, but then again, maybe not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •