+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perez making many eat their words

Personally, I never got why he got stick. He’s always worked hard and although he has limited ability in certain areas, he’s definitely not the only one who has performed below expectations at times. Where are the boos for Shelvey?

I don’t mind the fingers in the ears. He’s basically saying “I’m trying to shut up my critics” and he’s doing just that at the moment.

Let´s be honest - he was heavily slated by many (and many on here) as being completely sh*t. I can understand why, after basing opinion on one or two games where he was brushed off the ball and fell over a lot, often running into blind alleys. But, even in his poorer games, he´s often showed a litttle bit of class that´s often gone unnoticed. He has talent but, as has been well commented, his only problem has been consistencey.

Rafa has always said that he has had one of the toughest jobs on the pitch, working between the defensive lines, where you often get pressed from all sides.

I´m chuffed for him and even if he still wants to go, his price tag has just gone up ........... how depressing when you type something like that assuming the extra money will be reinvested in the team, when it won´t (might as well give him a free).

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Let´s be honest - he was heavily slated by many (and many on here) as being completely sh*t. I can understand why, after basing opinion on one or two games where he was brushed off the ball and fell over a lot, often running into blind alleys. But, even in his poorer games, he´s often showed a litttle bit of class that´s often gone unnoticed. He has talent but, as has been well commented, his only problem has been consistencey.

Rafa has always said that he has had one of the toughest jobs on the pitch, working between the defensive lines, where you often get pressed from all sides.

I´m chuffed for him and even if he still wants to go, his price tag has just gone up ........... how depressing when you type something like that assuming the extra money will be reinvested in the team, when it won´t (might as well give him a free).
    I agree-he was heavily slated on here and I reckon i was one of his biggest critics. I'm chuffed for him, too as, like most, I've always appreciated how hard he works. Mick makes a good point, too, about him looking poorer having to work alongside absolute shite like Joselu and Wanquillo.

Where I would disagree, though, is that it was only one or two games. When he first came, he showed flashes of being, potentially, a very good player and it's been mightily frustrating to see how little he's developed. Ironically, he may be off in the Summer just as he's beginning to look more like the player we hoped he might become. I take into account everything folk have said about the players around him, the job he's been asked to do, his price, etc...but, in my opinion, there have been a LOT of games where he's been awful.

3 seasons in a row he has kicked on in the latter stages...

It would be great if he could have a good start to a season...

I like the kid.... always have .. but even I admit I thought and hoped we had bought Muto because he was better than Perez...

You live and learn

With Almiron and the engine he has to get back and defend he's basically doing what perez did working his socks off Perez has been A LOT better since Rafa "Let him off the leash" But with almiron now injured i can see Perez being asked to start getting back and defending again a lot more thaan he has been since Almiron came in... UNLESS he gets a much needed and well deserved rest.

We've all been after Perez and some, including me, have been downright disappointed with his development, BUT it simply has to be said; he's a good player, and this truly shows when he has good players around him.

Nobody is beyond critique and Perez has deserved it in the past. What I don't agree with was the booing of Perez by our own fans.

The nature of the football fan in the main is to idolise, accept, deny, slate, badger and crucify any player, as and when the situation arises.
    One player's idolisation one season can be that same player's slating the next...depending on how he performs.

Very few players escape the wrath of the fans and we are generally all party to it.
    Perez has had his stick as much as he's had his plaudits.
    Some fans take many things too much to heart and find it hard to forsake happenings with players if they mess up on the pitch or off it.

If we all simply idolised every player and every manager and what not, there would be little to nothing to talk about after a few minutes of agreement by all.

One person's champ is another person's chump as the situation arises. It's just a case of when and for how long.

I think many fans, including myself can get carried away by how we perceive our club and players. One minute they're sub standard and the next it's talk about the worth and the class.
    We tend to forget the overall situation as and when results and player progress comes to the fore and we deal with it, upbeat or downbeat, depending on that.

Perez's fingers in ears scorned some fans and some of those fans will be hard pushed to heap too much praise on him for his football skills as of now, due to that.

Sometimes it's like the fast show (for all those who remember it with Paul Whitehouse) where they're in a pub talking about football and slagging a player off, then Paul Whitehouse jumps in in agreement, just because, until the others turn round and start having a pop at him, then praising the very same player.
    It's a lot like that with us fans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)