+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: should we .....

They normally bring more to our ground than theirs anyway so it could work !

Quote Originally Posted by Simon the Pieman View Post
    Not going down so not an issue.
    THAT'S the spirit!
    (NURSE, his meds have worn off again!)

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Yeah we have a really nice ground, one of the nicest outside of the Championship and will certainly be one of the best if not the best in none league football. League standings seldom come down to how nice a ground is, if it did Darlington would be Premier League instead of where they are now, I couldn’t tell you if they still exist, suppose we might find out next season when we are looking at our FA Trophy fixtures.
    It’s embarrassing that some choose to deflect our own inadequacies on to our not so illustrious neighbours, sounds familiar, sounds like the reason so many Notts fans don’t like Forest. I am envious of Mansfield. They are heading in the right direction whilst we drift from one catastrophe to the next. The odds are stacked on there being 2 divisions between us and Mansfield come May. So why insult them?
    Joking aside, I agree that it is a sad reflection of how **** we are that we feel the need to boast about the size of our stadium to a local team that is clearly doing way better than us at the moment. I guess this is why Mansfield fans see Notts fans as arrogant (although I suspect the OP's tongue was firmly in cheek).

As for envying Mansfield, I don't get that at all. First of all, I don't envy any other club. I just want Notts to be better. But I certainly don't envy them. As discussed on another thread, this will be the first time since the early 70s that they have played at a higher level than us - that's a pretty amazing feat, considering how **** we have been this century. What's more, in the almost three decades I've been watching football, they've spent way more seasons playing not-league football than they have in the third tier. Not much to envy really.

Granted, things are going well for them at the moment, and their fans should rightly enjoy every minute. But all teams have good and bad spells, and nothing lasts forever. This is just the boom part of a boom and bust cycle, which happens to pretty much every lower-league team that tries to spend its way of the leagues. It has happened to us three times this century (although the most recent time we didn't even get to enjoy the boom part). Good luck to them while things are going well though. Success is doled out in meager portions for lower-league teams, and we should all enjoy it while it lasts. Also, I doubt this season would be quite as enjoyable for them if they hadn't suffered those non-league years as well. You have to suffer the bad times to really appreciate the good times.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Lend Mansfield our ground next season ....?
    As we are going down and they are going up , should we do them a big Favour and let them have a nice ground to play in, worthy of League one football.
    Be very careful what you wish for ! Notts fans might start to enjoy it, as a very acceptable alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Yellafella63 View Post
    Enjoying thee humour of this thread, seriously though, If you go down do you think you will open all 4 sides of the ground next year, most of the away followings are pitiful, we had 8 away fans at one game, 15 at another and quite a few in the 30 to 70 range. It would probably be very uneconomical to open the away side on the vast majority of matches.
    I think so, purely because the season ticket prices have remained the same, i.e. there are season tickets available for all three home ends, and then the away fans have to go somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pedrothefisherman66 View Post
    lend mansfield our ground next season ....?
    As we are going down and they are going up , should we do them a big favour and let them have a nice ground to play in, worthy of league one football.
    No !

They could play in Black & white stripes too

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    They could play in Black & white stripes too
    True but then they would have to spend a lot of time and intellectual energy trying to make up a new song to replace their complex and witty 'Yellow, Yellow, Yellow' ballad.

I don't envy Mansfield at all but at the same time this thread is sad. I don't think you can take the piss out of teams going up when you're getting relegated out of the league, stuff like this makes us look tinpot. Good luck to them and we'll be back one day. Or not ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I don't envy Mansfield at all but at the same time this thread is sad. I don't think you can take the piss out of teams going up when you're getting relegated out of the league, stuff like this makes us look tinpot. Good luck to them and we'll be back one day. Or not ha ha.
    Agreed. Unless we are actually playing them, I'm not bothered what Mansfield are up to. Good luck to them though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast