Get your very own personalised DAN'S DOMAIN gifts!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Still Consistent

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    41,037

    Still Consistent


  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,468
    Spooky - this is about the third time this season where we have hd the same stats!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,756
    Considering we only had 3 draws and 7 defeats from our 1st 10 games.... it is a remarkable achievement to achieve safety with games to spare...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,756
    I posted the other day... our record against every team outside the top 6 is phenomenal....

    Unfortunately, this will not go unnoticed by the hierarchy and Rafa will be told "we are competing, so like it or lump it"

    Rafa will go, players will follow and we will no longer be competing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    20,985
    The tea boy thinks that where we stand today is a great achievement.

    He is correct from the class of the manager's efforts but totally out of order from his and the owners efforts.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3,239
    Well, even if our record against teams outside the Top 6 is good, we have been in a relegation battle all through this season. We are not competing, not at the level that we all - except for fatty - want to be at.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16,467
    Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Well, even if our record against teams outside the Top 6 is good, we have been in a relegation battle all through this season. We are not competing, not at the level that we all - except for fatty - want to be at.
    No, no, no, Hughie. You're wrong...Charnley says we're having a good season...so we must be.

  8. #8
    When you look at what mike pays Rafa a year and what we spend bring in to the club in player sales and we generate over 175 million .Ashley is rubbing his hands

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,756
    It's all down to expectation and aspiration... the fans, manager and most of the players, aspire to be better and expect the club to compete to the best of its potential financially.

    The owner and his smiling pygmy sidekick, have no aspirations at all and their expectation is that profit is Maximised for the benefit of 1 man and 1 man only.

    The reason I gave my ticket up prior to this season is what we witness right now.

    I want my club back....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16,467
    Quote Originally Posted by toonfalifekevbrown View Post
    When you look at what mike pays Rafa a year and what we spend bring in to the club in player sales and we generate over 175 million .Ashley is rubbing his hands
    He's a fucking moron. If it wasn't for Rafa, we'd have at least one more relegation under him with quite possibly a double one to end up with the monkey mackems in League One. Down we go again if he lets Rafa leave.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    4,191
    What are we supposed to be competing for?

    Because all I see with all teams outside of the top 6 elites are teams competing against each other for the 7th spot spoils, with the potential of a cup thrown into the mix as competition bait, which many clubs appear to treat sparingly in terms of first team usage in order to allow for that assault on the top 7 spot or are willing to take the chance of going for it and forsaking going for 7th.

    So what does any team need to spend in order to achieve that?
    How much does a wage bill have to be ramped up in order for any club to achieve a position inside the top 10, even?

    We are being coaxed into bickering among ourselves as to how much our clubs need to spend and what is value for money in transfer fees or wages, with some fans often citing certain clubs as being more ambitious because they spent 30 million on a player and 100,000 a week wages, plus a fair few 20 million buys on close to the same and yet these clubs are teetering on the edge of 7th place.

    Man Utd, a club in turmoil at one stage, then a resurgence and back to a bit of turmoil, are streets ahead of 7th place.
    What does that say about the 13 clubs who apparently have to match some kind of ambition with each other?


    It comes down to size of club argument.
    It comes down to fan base and loyalty of fans filling stadiums, regardless.
    All for the privilege of being also ran contenders.

    If transfer records are not being broken or massive net spends are not in our faces then we're apparently sub standard and we are happy to just avoid relegation, it seems.

    The reality is, most clubs appear to be happy to avoid relegation once they've set out on the ambition road and realised they've overstepped the mark and now have a wage bill that is unsustainable as well as players becoming mercenary and disinterested, leading to a massive fall from grace and back into the mire.

    Newcastle United. One club in a fairly big city. A stadium that people are proud of and a stadium that stands as a landmark and icon.
    A recent past that promised success amid very few elites, yet failed because ambition could not be sustained, yet still fought for until the sustainability became spent. (Hall and Shepherd)

    This is another chapter only this time we are dealing with a set 6 of elites and to play along with them will require a lot more than a Mike Ashley....but to play outside of those elites and be neck and neck with the best of the rest is achievable and can only be bettered when the elites are no longer allowed to be elites by default.

    When a football club can spent a few 90 million fees and many 40/50/60 etc million fees on other players and then offer some of those players 300,000 and 500,000 etc, to command a 6th spot, then what does a north east club do to get anywhere near that?

    As fans we've become ovesensitive and desensitised to many things in this modern game that's slowly being destroyed by all kinds of shenanigans that leave us all over expectant, undervalued, humble and angry and a mixture of many other things.

    Nothing will ever be good enough for long enough for the football fan of today...especially those fans like us who beg for success but are not quite sure what success actually entails in this game now.

    It seems more exciting winning a championship or escaping relegation by the skin of the teeth on a last day of a season that appears to be more accepted as a success rather than a flirt to reach something like 7th or 8th place and I don't mean just us, either.

    But you know what?
    When all's said and done, what really counts is the effort and ability of the players you have at your disposal who are willing to go out and entertain you and try for a result.
    The rest is based on hope in whatever % people rest their minds on.

    That's how I see it all from this point.

    It's funny because, when I see empty seats at Man City games and what not, I have to wonder what success and ambition actually does mean when you get to a stage where expectancy becomes the norm and the norm becomes tedious.

    It's a funny old game.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,756
    Did anybody bother to read that?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,581
    No need to Mick.It will be along the lines of we are where we should be,should be grateful for being in the Premier League,Rafa should get more out of the players and Ashley is right not to compete with the likes of Watford and Bournemouth.In other words Ashley is great and everything else connected to the club are idiots.
    Its the same in every post.
    Last edited by Geordie1974; 22-04-2019 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Spelling

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    20,985
    Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post
    Did anybody bother to read that?
    I read the first sentence only and oddly enough it refers to the top six elite.


    Now before the ugly Ashley emerged on the horizon is that not where we had the ambitions to finish each and every season.


    Of course under Ashley's tenure without the help of Rafa we would be in the reverse situation and competing to be out of the bottom six.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    He's a fucking moron. If it wasn't for Rafa, we'd have at least one more relegation under him with quite possibly a double one to end up with the monkey mackems in League One. Down we go again if he lets Rafa leave.
    Ashley won't give a ****e ,he has used Rafa like he uses everyone .he will see it as job done and he will think if we go down we have enough in the squad to come back up into the money league .rinse and repeat .he's spent next to nothing in the Rafa era but had made a **** full of money

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    6,288

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post
    Did anybody bother to read that?
    basically says we shouldn't whinge about not spending money like Fulham who spent 36 million, 26 million etc on players because they got relegated.

    That argument is flawed. The whole point in competing with our relegation rivals in the transfer market is so that we don't get bloody relegated! It's funny that they're going down with all the money they've spent but to suggest we should not spend money because in some way we could end up like them is cads-wallop. They went down due to a lack of Premier League experience, experience in general give the age of some of their players, changing managers and the fact that foreigners probably need a full season of Premier League football behind them before they can be expected to produce their very best.

    Also says Man Utd have spent all that money and wages just to finish 6th, why should we do the same, what's the point etc.

    To that I say every club and situation is different. Are Spurs paying people 300,000 or 500,000 a week? NO! You'd be surprised that Spurs are quite tight with their wages and only reward players with big wage contracts after a few years of consistent performance and even then their wage packets don't come close to people like Ozil.

    Spurs have a TOP coach just like us and guess what they've backed him (up until last summer when they have to pay for a Billion stadium so no incomings). He's done well to keep them in the title race as long as he did without no investment this summer. But this summer ignored, the past 3 seasons they've backed him and it's paid off. We should do the same with what we know is a World Class coach and manager in Benitez. Aye spurs have had a lot of outgoings but they've given Pochettino that money back to reinvest, do you think that would happen for Benitez under these yahoos? We only got Almiron because Benitez's contract is up in the summer.

    Spurs
    2014-15 - incoming transfers 43.62m, outgoing transfers 39.74m
    2015-16 - incoming transfers 63.90m, outgoing transfers 78.82m
    2016-17 - incoming transfers 75.24m, outgoing transfers 47.07m
    2017-18 - incoming transfers 109.35m, outgoing transfers 93.42m

    how cheap we are is we decided to not to pay an extra 2 million for Dele Alli so he went to Spurs.
    Last edited by BenArfa10; 22-04-2019 at 12:42 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    20,985
    Well summed up Benarfa10 but I have feeling we know someone who will contadict all of that common sense.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    6,288
    Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Well summed up Benarfa10 but I have feeling we know someone who will contadict all of that common sense.
    i have the same feeling

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by BenArfa10 View Post
    i have the same feeling
    40 points. That is what everyone outside of the top six have an ambition to achieve.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,756
    We got 44 points last season...

    We should have been looking at 50+ this season and 60+ next season... settling us in at 7th best at least...


    Everybody outside the top 6 should be trying to compete with us.... not the other way round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •