+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Players we had to sell

Players we had to sell

Pretty soon Sean will have to decide which members of our squad will be staying and going.

Being a small club surrounded by bigger and richer teams we are always vulnerable to losing our star men.

I reckon that there could be interest in Heaton/Pope, Taylor, Tarks and McNeil especially.

In my opinion I think it will be difficult to keep both our goalies (Hart to go abroad?) but they are both too good to play on Burnley's bench.
    I think McNeil will be well served to continue his development here for another year or two - let's hope both him and his agent see it that way. If he joined one of the "big" clubs then I don't think he would start very often. He should stay here for his long term career.

This got me thinking, which players sale upset you most? My list is below. I only saw Jimmy Mac for around a season and I was very young, so it didn't upset me that much.

1/. Brian O'Neill
    2/. Ralph Coates
    3/. Martin Dobson
    4/. Willie Morgan
    5/. Jimmy Mac
    6/. Dave Thomas
    7/. Robbie Blake (the first time, the swine)
    8/. Kieran Trippier
    9/. Danny Ings
    10/. Charlie Austin

I'd have to add Leighton James and Tony Morley to the list. Love wing play, and we've had some good ones. McMinn and Hutchinson gave pleasure at the end of their careers, along with Summerbee. All a bit different, but all quality. McNeil is no doubt an exciting addition, long may he continue to thrive.

Aye Dave, I forgot about James.

I'll shove him in at number seven and Austin will drop off my list.

Selling Dave Thomas to our promotion rivals QPR was the first time I recall us selling one of my heroes. 72/73 season was the first season I was really "aware" of supporting Burnley.

I can well remember seeing the headlines in the Telegraph, I'd be 16/17 at the time, when we sold Jimmy Mac. I was in shock, I couldn't believe it could have happened. But I can't remember being really upset or annoyed about any player leaving since then, maybe it dawned on me then that we were a selling club and if Mac could go, anyone could, and losing our best players just came with the territory if you were a Burnley fan. To be honest though I was a little bit miffed when Bob sold Martin Dobson so he could pay for his stand, but that apart it's never really bothered me.

Yes Sinks, Dobbo was a big big loss. A bit later big Vince left and I was disappointed with that sale as well. Strange how quite a lot of players came back and I hope we may see Trippier again.

What???? No Chris Brass???

We had to sell Richard Chaplow to WBA or go under! How we got a million quid for him I will never know!

Danny Ings for me. (Only been madly following Clarets for ten years though). The goal against Blackburn to break the drought, the dead fish flop in the corner to celebrate after a jinking run against Derby in August 2013, and the similar goal v QPR two months later followed by the Fred Scuttle celebration in the corner. Don't like his knees though.

I was disappointed with John Connelly going to Manchester United.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)