+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A bit embarrassing ?

It isn't just the negative sterile approach to the game - I'm used to that because we don't normally try to entertain or play football - it is the hypocrisy of SD going on about honesty and play acting from many of our opponents and then watching that performance tonight, certain players obviously following instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
    If that's what it takes to stay in the Premiership fair enough. But we've won few friends tonight with that - attack vs defence - and every delaying tactic in the book. I don't know whether to be proud or embarassed.

They've said on the radio that the last 15 minutes of the match was 4 minutes football and 11 minutes timewasting and the caller called SD a hypocrite...
    Whilst I am a strong advocate for entertaining football and have criticized Burnley on many occasions for their lack of shooting and lack of creativity and goalmouth action mouth let's get real.

This is the sharp end of the season and we are in touching distance of safety.

We have just scored two goals away at Chelsea and been pecked back to 2-2.

Its not a game we have to win--but a game where a draw would be just about perfect.

What the h-ll do you expect?

Embarrassed?

Bloody proud to be a Claret.

On Sunday we are playing City.

If you were Sean what would you be telling the lads?

"Let's go out and attack them and out-football them"?

We wouldn't last long in this league with that attitude.

We are brilliant at what we do.

Sean said in his interview that, up to Christmas, he tried to play a more expansive game. look what happened - 12 points from 19 games.

Since then we have reverted to type. Result? 28 points from 16 games.

Easy being a manager of Burnley isn't it?

It isn't just the negative sterile approach to the game - I'm used to that because we don't normally try to entertain or play football - it is the hypocrisy of SD going on about honesty and play acting from many of our opponents and then watching that performance tonight, certain players obviously following instructions.
    There is a point to that criticism jiggles, and Dyche has answered it before. What he refers to as dishonesty, cheating if you like, is players deliberately throwing themselves to the ground in an attempt to con the referee and win a free kick when they haven't been touched, that appears to be a line he doesn't want his players to cross. It is a fine line though and our players often come close to it during every game, Ashley Barnes is one who will push the boundaries imo, he will make the most of every challenge, but I've yet to see him deliberately fall down when he hasn't been touched.
    His teams though will employ every method just this side of that line to get a result in a game, they have to, they all do, it would be incredibly naive not to. Certainly there were players going down and staying down last night for no other reason than to break up Chelsea's rythm, and it worked, Zola admitted as much after the game, they weren't happy about it at all. If it meant the ball was in play less time than it should have been then that's not Dyche's fault, the referee is empowered to add as much time on as he thinks fit, Chelsea should be taking that up with the ref, we might be able to break their play up with our 'game management', but we don't, can't, control the clock.

Burnley battled, they were resilient, every man fighting for his shirt and team mates. We needed a point, we got a point. One of the world's best players was on fire but we dug in and we will line up next season in the English Premier League.
    For the life in me Alto I cannot understand your constant criticisms. Since boyhood I have been avidly collecting every available football annual, read every one of Charles Buchan's books on tactics, I earned an FA coaching badge, played over a thousand games at a decent level and not one single professional source says every team on the planet must play like Pele's Brazil or the famous Hungarian Magyars.

We are not competing on a level financial playing field, but by God, Barnes, Wood, Mee and Tarkowski were men amongst arrogant, whinging, overly privileged Chelsea schoolboys and made sure we got the point we needed.

Seriously, would you not be better supporting a proper footballing team, playing local to you like Crystal Place, Fulham or Brighton? You have been residing down South so long you seem to have forgotten that up here in the frozen tundra we eat "****e Italians" for lunch and dinner.

That's "S-hi-t" Italians by the way!

If that's what it takes to stay in the Premiership fair enough. But we've won few friends tonight with that - attack vs defence - and every delaying tactic in the book. I don't know whether to be proud or embarassed.

They've said on the radio that the last 15 minutes of the match was 4 minutes football and 11 minutes timewasting and the caller called SD a hypocrite...
    Honestly, I'm sick and tired of hearing about about “the right way to play”. The right way in a sport that keeps a running score is the way that wins the most often for that team. We have forty points and we are staying up. No embarrassment here “the right way to play” is to go and nick enough points to keep you in the EPL. Job done. If you want to watch the beautiful game, perhaps you should nip over to Spain and start supporting Barcelona?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    On Sunday we are playing City.

If you were Sean what would you be telling the lads?

"Let's go out and attack them and out-football them"?

We wouldn't last long in this league with that attitude.

We are brilliant at what we do.

Sean said in his interview that, up to Christmas, he tried to play a more expansive game. look what happened - 12 points from 19 games.

Since then we have reverted to type. Result? 28 points from 16 games.

Easy being a manager of Burnley isn't it?
    I find it hard to believe the comment we played a "more expansive" style of football up to Christmas to be fair.

We often played one up front and were woeful defending.

No where near enough shots on goal and little creativity in midfield.

Maybe SD was speaking at an Alzheimer's Club when he made those remarks?

I think what we are getting from Chelsea now is a re-run of the tactics often employed by Fergie and Mourinho in times past, when your team has just lost or drawn a game they needed to win, create a media ****storm to deflect attention away from your own failings.

Just on the anti-football, here are some stats from the game,

Manager's sent off, Chelsea 1 Burnley 0.

Yellow cards, Chelsea 2 Burnley 1

Fouls committed, Chelsea 9, Burnley 4.

I think what we are seeing is more sour grapes than you could buy in a dozen Tescos.

During interview SD stated that Tom Heaton takes between 26 and 30 seconds everytime he takes a goal kick and has done for the last 4 years. He did nothing different last night and the referee reacted to the crowd complaining about time wasting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)