+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A bit embarrassing ?

"Yes Zola was right about us being wasteful of time, Dyche has stated he hates when players cheat fellow professionals by diving about like they have been shot trying to gain advantage, and even to get players sent off, but are we not doing more or less the same thing in a different manner ? my Mam used to tell me 2 wrongs don't make a right, but obviously in Dyche's mantra it seems O.K."

No, I don't think it's the same thing at all Alto. There are very few players who deliberately throw themselves onto the floor when they haven't been touched, and those that do invite such ridicule that it seems to me the practice is slowly dying out, and that's what Dyche is referring to. What we were doing last night is standard practice in football, I see it every week even down Clitheroe, you just know if the away team is leading with ten minutes to go and one of their players is tackled hard, he just isn't going to get up, you can be 100% certain he's staying down, every time. It happens at level 8, it happens all the way up to the PL and International football.

Although no doubt it does eat up more time than refs allow, that's not Dyche's fault, if players go down to receive treatment then the ref should add the time back on at the end. Theoretically no team can waste time, the ref should simply add it back on if they do, it's not for Dyche to do the ref's job for him and ensure the correct amount of time is played.

The implication seems to be that we cheated Chelsea last night, that what we were doing was somehow unfair. I just don't buy it, football isn't fair and, especially in the PL, it isn't a level playing field either. Chelsea weren't happy with their squad last summer so they spent £186 million on Jorginho, Kepa and Pulisic, then they loaned in Kovacic from Real Madrid, they still weren't happy so in January they brought in Higuaín on loan, an ex Real Madrid and Argentina striker. We can't compete with that off the field, and we can't compete for skill and talent when they put those players on the pitch against us, so Dyche has to find a way to nullify that massive inbuilt advantage they have any way he can, within the laws of the game, and last night that involved slowing the game down and breaking up their rhythm by exaggerating any aches and pains they might be feeling. It couldn't have been designed to waste time, the ref has the power to add it all back on, and more if he sees fit, it was simply designed to break up the Chelsea rhythm, stop them building up too much of a head of steam. And that's all Chelsea had to complain about really, we only gave away four free kicks, no outfield player got a yellow card, Hazard for probably the first time in his career walked off without having been fouled once, in reality we were the perfect gentlemen, if their expensively acquired superstars couldn't handle a couple of extra stoppages, that's their problem not Dyche's.

Extremely well said Sir Sinkov, and bob on the nail too!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Extremely well said Sir Sinkov, and bob on the nail too!
    I will definitely agree with you BT ----Sinkov has it bob on.
    In answer to Sinkov's question as to why the authorities decided to allow the keeper to take a goal kick from anywhere in the goal area---have a laugh---it was because they considered that it would speed the game up!! you just couldn't make it up!

I have been positive about some of Burnley's performances BT, and when something overall happens to team and Club I will be positive again.

You seem to have a very short memory BT, up to and including the Everton home defeat you yourself slammed the team's performances with reference to more than a few players and the board for their seemingly lack of commitment and ridiculously poor transfer negotiators.

What's changed from Boxing Day BT ? absolutely nothing at the moment, Yes we have had a lot of points per games compared to other Clubs, but we have had runs like that before, and as you know it tends to turn sour after a while, but No, you jump on the band wagon and now believe everything is O.K. because we have as good as saved ourselves from relegation and are in a better place, for all your boyhood things you have stated you have done in the game I'd expect more of you to look at the overall picture instead of seemingly changing your views after a few points gained.

Nothing seems to have changed with our negotiating team, this Rigg fella stated that the Vokes/Crouch deal was good for the squad, which IMO was taking the p!ss, like I have said Rigg did nothing at Man City, Q P R or Fulham and now he claims Burnley have a revolutionary plan for players, that same plan has been used by Brentford and other Clubs for at least 2 years.

As I have said before, this team is splattered with players who are just not good enough, hard work, graft, belief and determination cannot last forever, some should have been replaced earlier and because they were not its going to be doubly difficult to build it now, but that will be covered with Garlick and Co treating us all like idiots with the usual comments they expect us to swallow, you may think all is well BT, but IMO it is a long way from that, and deep down I think you know it

Quote Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
    They've said on the radio that the last 15 minutes of the match was 4 minutes football and 11 minutes timewasting and the caller called SD a hypocrite...
    I don't know where they got those figures from, someone with an agenda or a dodgy watch I can only assume. I've just watched a re-run of the game, and from the 80th minute to the 96th when Friend blew, the ball was in play for 8 minutes (actually I timed it at 7.59, I've just rounded it up by a second). So a lot of the moaning about time wasting is very likely based on Fake News.

Just for interest, in the six minutes injury time there wasn't a lot of actual play, just 2.41 but that wasn't down to us. There were 7 stoppages, 3 were for throw-ins, 2 were for corners and 2 for free-kicks against Chelsea. Westwood went down with cramp, allegedly, during one of the free-kick stoppages, but as the break in play only lasted 58 seconds, and I'm sure we could have legitimately taken 30 seconds plus over the free kick, the amount of time wasting by Westwood was negligible, no more than a few seconds. The longest stoppage was when Chelsea gave away a free-kick, got involved in a fracas which ended up with Kovacic booked and Sarri sent to the stands. That took 1.41 out of injury time and was nothing to do with us, simply Chelsea being unprofessional and shooting themselves in the foot.

Anti-football my arse.

and Chelsea complain.....Was getting edgy in those final minutes - so after watching us park the bus for most of the game - if we'd lost it at the end - i'd've had a lot more time wasted than a few minutes to lament on - imagine my relief !

League Division Four 24 Jan 1987, Burnley 0 Hereford United 6.

Now that's what I call embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    I have been positive about some of Burnley's performances BT, and when something overall happens to team and Club I will be positive again.

You seem to have a very short memory BT, up to and including the Everton home defeat you yourself slammed the team's performances with reference to more than a few players and the board for their seemingly lack of commitment and ridiculously poor transfer negotiators.

What's changed from Boxing Day BT ? absolutely nothing at the moment, Yes we have had a lot of points per games compared to other Clubs, but we have had runs like that before, and as you know it tends to turn sour after a while, but No, you jump on the band wagon and now believe everything is O.K. because we have as good as saved ourselves from relegation and are in a better place, for all your boyhood things you have stated you have done in the game I'd expect more of you to look at the overall picture instead of seemingly changing your views after a few points gained.

Nothing seems to have changed with our negotiating team, this Rigg fella stated that the Vokes/Crouch deal was good for the squad, which IMO was taking the p!ss, like I have said Rigg did nothing at Man City, Q P R or Fulham and now he claims Burnley have a revolutionary plan for players, that same plan has been used by Brentford and other Clubs for at least 2 years.

As I have said before, this team is splattered with players who are just not good enough, hard work, graft, belief and determination cannot last forever, some should have been replaced earlier and because they were not its going to be doubly difficult to build it now, but that will be covered with Garlick and Co treating us all like idiots with the usual comments they expect us to swallow, you may think all is well BT, but IMO it is a long way from that, and deep down I think you know it
    Like I said Alto, since the Boxing Day leathering our centre backs Ben Mee & James Tarkowski, strikers Chris Wood & Ashley Barnes, the hard running midfield duo of Ashley Westwood & Jack Cork, the rapidly improving former Leeds United full back Charlie Taylor and the mercurial young wide man Dwight McNeil, both operating in tandem down the Clarets left hand side have turned our fortunes around.

Give credit where credit is due to SD and the players Alto? Rigg may do wonderful things or he may not, but SD has the steady hand at the helm. I said a couple of weeks ago on here I can't wait for next season, the child bride has her season ticket and we are ready to go!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)