+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A bit embarrassing ?

A bit embarrassing ?

If that's what it takes to stay in the Premiership fair enough. But we've won few friends tonight with that - attack vs defence - and every delaying tactic in the book. I don't know whether to be proud or embarassed.

They've said on the radio that the last 15 minutes of the match was 4 minutes football and 11 minutes timewasting and the caller called SD a hypocrite...
    Last edited by jiggles; 22-04-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Soft spoilt Southern pansies.

Evening Jiggles

We have played like that for 50% of our games, a lot of our performances in our 7th finish last year was the same, I have always said if that's what keeps us in the PL they can stuff it, but some on here regard it as entertainment.

As for Dyche being a hypocrite I think he is only towing the line that Garlick has drawn in that we have not the money to compete, which I find insulting to any Claret fan who would just like us to at least push the boat our a little more to try and better our team/squad, but this is Burnley we are talking about, always pleading poverty and always will be I'm afraid Jiggles.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Soft spoilt Southern pansies.
    I make you right with your quote 59, but again it leaves Clarets fans with a nail biting ending, with another "All hands on deck" defensive attitude with little entertainment for us to shout about, O.K. we was playing a team worth 15 times ours tonight, but we do it against teams that are around our level also.

Ex Chelsea player Gus Poyet was asked about the timewasting after the game, he didn't think there was anything exceptional about it, all teams do it he said. If Chelsea are whinging about us tonight, I can only assume they've never seen a WBA team under Tony Pulis indulging in a bit of timewasting, they made us look like amateurs. Chelsea didn't win a big game they expected to win, that was the real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
    If that's what it takes to stay in the Premiership fair enough. But we've won few friends tonight with that - attack vs defence - and every delaying tactic in the book. I don't know whether to be proud or embarassed.

They've said on the radio that the last 15 minutes of the match was 4 minutes football and 11 minutes timewasting and the caller called SD a hypocrite...
    Not about winning friends, it is about winning points. Many of our own 'fans' just do not appreciate what it takes to pick up enough points to stay at the top level when players are being paid ridiculous amounts of money which we just can't afford.
    You can win 'friends' by trying to outfootball teams, however, just see how quickly those 'friends' disappear when you fail and get relegated. In fact, just see how many of those 'fans' disappear when relegation happens --almost 33% in total.
    Accept what we are --a club playing at a level that we have worked extremely hard to get to and need to utilise everything we can to maintain that status. That performance tonight was exactly what was needed and can be criticised by any fans from other clubs because they do not understand what is needed to stay at the top level.
    Nobody has to go to watch it ----your choice entirely, personally I enjoy it more than seeing Chelsea and other teams taking 20 passes to get out of their own half and then moaning that the opposition is 'anti-football'

don't be so negative Jiggles.....you at least have to thank Chelsea for making is something near watchable....though for all their possession - movement - speed - and passing prowess - they lacked the sting where it matterred ...likelyhelped by our defence holding strong...but then the Blues failed to switch their game....making things obvious and perhaps for us...relatively easy even.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

don't be so negative Jiggles.....you at least have to thank Chelsea for making it something near watchable..
    Its the Burnley way Norder, A lot of us don't know how hard it is to win points in this league, stuff the entertainment, its playing (defending for our lives) in the PL that really matters, in with the big boys and gaining all that money yet doing bugger all with that dosh (or wasting it) to try and strengthen the team a little, aye we have worked hard to get to the promised land, yet seem to be sitting on our hands trying to sustain it, each to their own as some "enjoy" watching us sit back for most of the game and pray we can keep the opposition out, its not entertaining for me and many more, but horses for courses and I praise the one's who enjoy that sort of thing, but just like folk who like feeling pain and frustration in a relationship it strikes me as odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    Its the Burnley way Norder, A lot of us don't know how hard it is to win points in this league, stuff the entertainment, its playing (defending for our lives) in the PL that really matters, in with the big boys and gaining all that money yet doing bugger all with that dosh (or wasting it) to try and strengthen the team a little, aye we have worked hard to get to the promised land, yet seem to be sitting on our hands trying to sustain it, each to their own as some "enjoy" watching us sit back for most of the game and pray we can keep the opposition out, its not entertaining for me and many more, but horses for courses and I praise the one's who enjoy that sort of thing, but just like folk who like feeling pain and frustration in a relationship it strikes me as odd.
    To be honest I quite enjoyed that game tonight Alto, I'm not impressed when we go up to say Newcastle and don't give them a game, but Chelsea are light years ahead of us in terms of footballing ability, we can't even contemplate trying to play them off the park. All we can do is defend well, take the few chances we get, and hang on for dear life. Which we did.

Bits of it I also enjoyed Sinkov, but the majority was totally negative, and like you say it may be the only way to play these Multi Million £ teams now and again, but to play Clubs who are average to us and not seemingly "want" to make a game of it, it stinks, and the Board have not helped and Dyche's mantra on his press talks are mostly spin which takes the biscuit

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)