+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: League 1 next season

League 1 next season

I'm not sure what to expect or even to hope for? We will undoubtedly lose our best players which should bring in enough money to cover the losses and cushion the financial blow of relegation.

There's something I can't get my head around though. Do I want us to get promoted again or not? I think I do but then I think what's the point if we're just going to be relegated again the season after? I think the promotion last season was met with a combination of joy and apathy. If we find ourselves in that position again in around 12 months time, I think the apathy will outweigh the joy.

Personally I don't think we'll be back here for a long time, I think we've wasted enough opportunities to try to establish ourselves at this level. I still feel that last season was a glorious accident leading to an unexpected opportunity for redemption, which we've wasted again.

Does anyone else feel this way? I mean, I don't want us to struggle in league 1, but I think I'll find it hard to be enthusiastic about it if we do well. Strange feeling and one I've personally never felt before. 😕

It's a classic Catch-22 but at the end of the day if we aren't aiming for promotion what's the point of playing at all? Maybe next time in the Championship PW will get us to 60 points with the experience he's now gained? I mentioned a few months back, if we do get relegated and then end up back at Wembley then I fear fan apathy and we'll have less than 10,000 there

Spoilt rotten, get a grip.

Hardest bloody automatic promotion we have ever earned if successful in my tenure following the club , 52 years .

Even the promotion to the PL was done with a game to spare and a four point cushion .

One defeat in 24 games , record number of points accumulated , most ever clean sheets and we could yet miss out and be playing League One football next season .

Our rivals could also miss out having collected over 90 points , Sunderland have only lost 3 games all season .

Some rubbish in the league don't get me wrong but the fight between the top 5 is unbelievable .

Massively difficult and next season could be the same , two of the current top 5 will miss out , Ipswich will probably mount a challenge , Lincoln could do well and Burton , Oxford and Coventry are building decent teams for next season .

Let’s wait until it’s official where we are ffs, I don’t want to go to West Brom feeling relegated 😡

It'll be great whatever league we're in, it always is!

I enjoy the winning, hate the disappointment of losing and can often say whether we should have had more from a draw.

I don't think that we will want to go to Wembley again but I would make a weekend of it. We will get to play on international fixture weekend wich is a big plus because if not it feels like summer at the wrong time of the year. That is unless we keep our better players but I seriously hope they go on to better things and make us a lot of money to continue the building of a better club.

We'll be fine, we'll win more and lose less!

If we are in League 1 next season and we're not aiming for top two or to be in or around top six then I want my money back that I've paid for my renewed season ticket.
    Anything less than top ten & apathy will set in and the club may stagnate.
    We are however in a much better position than the last relegation out of the Championship.
    My view will always be to take the promotion if it's on offer and then work from there.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post

We'll be fine, we'll win more and lose less!
    Will the one's we lose be from a winning position though.

Not sure if it's true I was told we have lost 29 points from being in a winning position, i.e. Villa, Birmingham, Swansea ( twice in front ) that approach can't carry on whichever league we are in.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Will the one's we lose be from a winning position though.

Not sure if it's true I was told we have lost 29 points from being in a winning position, i.e. Villa, Birmingham, Swansea ( twice in front ) that approach can't carry on whichever league we are in.
    Tis true, I don't think that they mean to do it. It's like us in league one where our stats were completely reverse.
    It's having the right players with the right mentality.

No point in playing (or watching) if you don't want to get promoted. Agree that familiarity breeds contempt a little bit though. There's no reason at all why we won't do very well next season. We're the best of the relegated teams and have a strong group that will still be here next season. The gulf between league 1 and championship is vast and too much for many of the players we have. League one will be a different. Don't have a solution for what to do if we do get back up again though!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast