+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What brings the owners of football clubs success?

What brings the owners of football clubs success?

I am a little confused, the previous and current owners of Notts County FC, put a lot of money into the club and genuinely tried for success. They achieved a relegation and the current severe threat of one. Munto achieved a promotion and I stand to be corrected, only spent a £1.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    I am a little confused, the previous and current owners of Notts County FC, put a lot of money into the club and genuinely tried for success. They achieved a relegation and the current severe threat of one. Munto achieved a promotion and I stand to be corrected, only spent a £1.
    Munto spent other people's money, a lot of it.
    It's still no guarantee for success though. It's a game, the beauty of which is the fact that anything can happen and we don't know the outcome in advance, so it is a huge gamble for owners. The key elements you need are momentum, belief and luck when it matters most

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    It's still no guarantee for success though. It's a game, the beauty of which is the fact that anything can happen and we don't know the outcome in advance, so it is a huge gamble for owners. The key elements you need are momentum, belief and luck when it matters most
    Fulham spent over £100m and got relegated!

I think you forgot to mention a decent owner and someone who knows how to manage.

A well-run academy and a scouting team with a shrewd eye for a bargain - areas Notts seem to have abandoned.

Don't employ family & friends like RT & AH did

I think one key ingredient is to be in the background.

The closer owners are to the players and fans the more ridiculous their decisions become and the easier it is for fans to criticise them or for fans (minority) to influence them.

The most(only?) successful owner in my time was Del Pavis. The way he did it was to employ two of the best English managers of the last 40 years.

Simple as that.

If Paragon pay their creditors less than the value of their debts then Hardy will also have spent other people's money, only he won't have got as good value for that as Munto. I bet we spent more on wages this season than Munto did. The Munto signings, whoever thought of them, were great, except for Campbell, who was just a status symbol anyway.

The point you make about momentum is crucial. Dunnett had it with Sirrel and Pavis had it with Warnock, and to an extent with Allardyce. Each time we went up, they invested to take us to the next level (Dunnett bought Willie Carlin and Stevie Carter in our first Division 3 season, Pavis bough Harding and Regis after we got promotion to Division 2).

This is where Trew made a massive mistake. In order to reduce his costs, which were more than he had anticipated, he destroyed our momentum by failing to keep Cotterill and not only failing to invest in good new players but getting rid of those we had. Despite this, he still managed to spend a fortune on past their sell by date crocks and a revolving door management policy.

All things considered, our most efficient owners since Pavis were crooks.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    A well-run academy and a scouting team with a shrewd eye for a bargain - areas Notts seem to have abandoned.
    Yes, and patience and consistency matter too. Clubs like Accrington and Burton are over-achieving relative to their resources and if you stand back and look at their trend over twenty years it has been generally upwards, but within that overall graph were some temporary troughs and set-backs. The difference is that they had an overall vision of what they were trying to achieve, a budget they stuck to, and patience with the managers they employed to spend it. They didn't keep changing course or trying to spend their way to success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast