+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Abandonments

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Kilmarnock, I think it is mentioned earlier... I would've been there but some reason I can't remember anything about that season apart from the games against the deid club
    Sure it was St J. I'm sure i remembered the big centre forward they had at the time who looked like Martina Navratilova (Harkins or something like that?) putting them 1 up before the lights went out?

Not an abandonment, an evening game against the Tims in about 1988.

It was foggy but the game was still on when we left the hoose. Got to the top of Merkland Road where there were some polis telling everybody the game was off. Then a load of cop cars went racing round to the beach end, the Tim fans must have been revolting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Not an abandonment, an evening game against the Tims in about 1988.

It was foggy but the game was still on when we left the hoose. Got to the top of Merkland Road where there were some polis telling everybody the game was off. Then a load of cop cars went racing round to the beach end, the Tim fans must have been revolting.
    Tim fans are always revolting especially when using the adjective form of the word.

Another foggy night where we could have been doing with an abandonment was the ECWC semi against Porto

Canna remember when ... prob late 70s ... but ma flawed memory is flaggin' up a game at Pittodrie, against Hibs, where a kick in the aise fae half time, one wye or the ither, there wis a hoor o' a haar swept in. Noo, if 'hoor o' a haar' is nae the correct Gaelic for 'poor visibility' or 'pea souper' .... then it fυckin well should be!

Onywye ... ma memory might well be enveloped in a hoor o' a haar ... but it insists we were 2-0 up ... and the opposition fans were chantin ..'we cant see ... we cant see ...' ... which, Ah suppose, is a bit like dealin wi' somethin ye dinna want tae hear by stickin yer fingers in yer lugs and chantin 'LAAA-LAAA-LAAA ...'

.. but aye, they had a point ... we couldna see either ... but we'd hae happily jist shut oor eyes for circa 45 minutes in solidarity if we could open them again at the final whistle, 2-0 up - and shout 'Yaaassss ... get it up ye!'

Alas ... aff we went hame early ... a 2-0 lead lost tae the fυckin weather. Of course, this will never happen in oor new stadium

.... so .. Ah'm I spikkin shiτe? ... the game was def abandoned .. def mid/late 70's ... def at Pittodrie ... Opposition fans were def chantin ..'we cant see ... we cant see ...' ...but .. was it Hibs? ... were we up 2-0? Ah'm happy tae be corrected

Think there was a home game against Hibs when we won 3-0 and Willie Miller scored a great goal , but the crowd could hardly see it because of the fog. Wasn’t there myself so not sure, but from AFC Heritage there’s a game in February 1978 that fits the bill. No report though , but maybe that’s the game Naemairneeps is thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post
    Think there was a home game against Hibs when we won 3-0 and Willie Miller scored a great goal , but the crowd could hardly see it because of the fog. Wasn’t there myself so not sure, but from AFC Heritage there’s a game in February 1978 that fits the bill. No report though , but maybe that’s the game Naemairneeps is thinking about.
    I was at that game, it probably should have been abandoned.

Willie's goal was into the Beach End.
    Through the inside right channel he started a charge.
    He then played three or four one-twos before skelping the ball into the net.

I don't think it was abandoned but I think play was stopped for a while up at ICT a couple of seasons ago when one of the sky/BT vans' generators blew up. Belching out thick smoke with the wind taking it right across the pitch.

Only other game I was at was the aforementioned floodlight failure at Pittodrie. Were the electrics not getting rewired in the mainer so everything was running off gennies? It wasn't heavy rain but it was constant enough to trip something. Obviously a set up to back up the narrative that Pittodries f*cked.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    I was at that game, it probably should have been abandoned.

Willie's goal was into the Beach End.
    Through the inside right channel he started a charge.
    He then played three or four one-twos before skelping the ball into the net.
    That's my memory of it from match reports. Couldn't see it at the time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234