+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wage table

Wage table

Interesting to see that the Toon is the only PL club to lower their wage bill over last season.

Name:  FireShot Capture 061 - Mike Ashley massaging wage bill to he_ - https___www.themag.co.uk_2019_04.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  74.7 KB

We should be commended for lowering it.
    The trouble with football today is, we are all desensitised to the money issue and we slate clubs paying less rather than slate the clubs paying way over the odds.

We don't get £94 million a season worth of excitement just as Man Utd fans don't get £296 million worth....nor the rest but we are conditioned to accept that these millions are deserved. They're not.

No player should even be earning £1 million a season if the truth be known, from my stance anyway.
    I know I know, the argument would be " but you pay peanuts and you get monkeys."
    It wouldn't be peanuts and any player would give his all for that amount of money if it was toned right down.

This is why the game's going to pot.

I think the reason the game is going to pot is owners that just come along and bleed clubs for all they are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    We should be commended for lowering it.
    The trouble with football today is, we are all desensitised to the money issue and we slate clubs paying less rather than slate the clubs paying way over the odds.

We don't get £94 million a season worth of excitement just as Man Utd fans don't get £296 million worth....nor the rest but we are conditioned to accept that these millions are deserved. They're not.

No player should even be earning £1 million a season if the truth be known, from my stance anyway.
    I know I know, the argument would be " but you pay peanuts and you get monkeys."
    It wouldn't be peanuts and any player would give his all for that amount of money if it was toned right down.

This is why the game's going to pot.
    You are right...well you would be if we also became more successful whilst cutting the wage bill.

I know you don't mean what you post..just enjoy being contrary...but I have to ask...do you really expect us to applaud fat Mike for standing up and trying to make things better? Haha.

The reality is...you generally have to spend to become more successful. ..you then earn more money, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    I think the reason the game is going to pot is owners that just come along and bleed clubs for all they are worth.
    The game has changed beyond recognition in my lifetime,in the early fifties when Newcastle held the post war record average gate of over 50,000 the players were on a maximum wage of about £15 per week which was cut to half in the summer months.

Where did all the money go apart from transfer fees which were offset by player sales.?

The massive wages-well. they're obscene, really-are one of the reasons, imo, that football supporters have less patience with players/teams/managers.

They're so far removed from our reality that that bond that used to exist-because they were just, basically, one of us-has been eroded to the point where it barely even exists any more. For example, Diame. Yesterday Steve Howey was talking about how Diame wants security for him and his family with a 2 year deal instead of a one year one and, while obviously you want the best for your family and to get the most you can while you can, what he earns in one year would set most of the rest of us up for life. Most of our first-teamers will get in a year what most of us wouldn't even be able to earn in a lifetime of MUCH harder work and that leads to folk expecting more from players/teams/managers, even if subconsciously, because of the huge numbers involved.

Don't see it changing, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    The massive wages-well. they're obscene, really-are one of the reasons, imo, that football supporters have less patience with players/teams/managers.

They're so far removed from our reality that that bond that used to exist-because they were just, basically, one of us-has been eroded to the point where it barely even exists any more. For example, Diame. Yesterday Steve Howey was talking about how Diame wants security for him and his family with a 2 year deal instead of a one year one and, while obviously you want the best for your family and to get the most you can while you can, what he earns in one year would set most of the rest of us up for life. Most of our first-teamers will get in a year what most of us wouldn't even be able to earn in a lifetime of MUCH harder work and that leads to folk expecting more from players/teams/managers, even if subconsciously, because of the huge numbers involved.

Don't see it changing, either.
    Unfortunately the majority of them are on a par with the prima donnas of the stage and film world and therefore have become to act like them also.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeshearer View Post
    You are right...well you would be if we also became more successful whilst cutting the wage bill.

I know you don't mean what you post..just enjoy being contrary...but I have to ask...do you really expect us to applaud fat Mike for standing up and trying to make things better? Haha.

The reality is...you generally have to spend to become more successful. ..you then earn more money, etc.
    I don't expect you to do anything. Do exactly as you wish, like I do.

There's too much worrying about where money goes. We all know the game's massively corrupt. We all know that rich people are not rich by being stupid and all giving for no returns.
    Once we all started arguing over a players not being on enough money and the club needing to up the weekly wage to £100,000 in order to get some decent player to perform, we lost our minds to the inner workings rather than what we see on the pitch as 11 men plus subs playing a 90 plus minute game.

We're even bemoaning training facilities because they're not state of the art and believing what we have is not fit for purpose, yet look where Shearer and co were training in the Keegan era, where players like Warren Barton would want to be part of the club so much so that he left the wage negotiations to Keegan and Hall, saying something like....I'm sure you'll give me a fair wage.

That's the football I want. I'm sick and tired of this molly coddling. It's killing the game fast as the game we all knew as a bread and butter like game.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Unfortunately the majority of them are on a par with the prima donnas of the stage and film world and therefore have become to act like them also.
    Well that's another aspect of fans falling 'out of love' with football...they go on like such twats now that you just lose all respect for them. Grown men throwing themselves down and howling like babies to get another player into trouble or to waste a bit of time? I'm not holding rugby up as the 'ideal'-but the other year when the Falcons played, there was one tackle on a player and I've never seen anything as brutal in my life (it was a fair tackle, too. ). The guy was down for ages and, frankly, I wouldn't have been surprised to see a priest walk on to give him the last rites, but after treatment he not only got back to his feet but carried on with the rest of the game.

Aye, I know, different context, rules, etc,but, still....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)