+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Me Granddad was a County Fan?

Me Granddad was a County Fan?

How far can you Trace you family Roots Back Of Supporting Notts County
    if only to shame the players who didnt put a shift in this season.
    by that i mean that you actually go to at least half the games at home per season and dont stop at home and listen to generations of Slaters on the Radio.
    i met one bloke who could take his family support back to the late 1880s a year or two back.

me Uncle Jack played one war time game
    1923 me Dad first mentioned game i can remember him talking about ,
    !930-1939 My uncle Alf put a shift in at left back for 221 games
    I was first Taken to Meadow Lane in 1953 at 18 months old.
    And i am still here (just)

so i make that about 100 years.

Me granddad played in goal!

Dad was a fan.

I'm a mega fan but too far away to get to many games.

This season is the worst i can remember. But then i only took over from my dad in 2009, and it took a few years for the notts lurgi to fully infect me.

In preseason i bet a guy in work 30 star jumps we'd win the league! Time to pay up i guess.

I'm a fourth generation Notts fan and Harry Daft Notts FA Cup winner was a distant cousin to my Dads side.

It's in the blood even in the Unibond Sunday League!

3rd generation, my sons the 4th generation.
    My 1st match I remember Notts 1-3 Birmingham (milk cup) aged 9 (1983)
    My sons was the 5-0 Bradford game 2009 also aged 9. I warned him then, "your a Notts fan things wont always be this way, but he didnt have a bad 1st season did he.
    My Dad followed the whole Sirrel era and my grandad saw the Tommy Lawton days.

My grandfather was born in Lincolnshire. He moved to Nottingham and the Meadows in 1908 and chose to watch the Magpies sooner than that other lot, thus starting the family tradition. Notts were playing their home games at Trent Bridge then. He got married on Arkwright Street in August 1910 and a couple of weeks later was one of the 25,000 that watched the first game at Meadow Lane.

Non of my family were really interested in football ,my first game was 1969 under Jimmy....gutted how it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Non of my family were really interested in football ,my first game was 1969 under Jimmy....gutted how it is now.
    Very similar to me. I had no family history of support for any club, I chose Notts in 1970 due to a mix of ****age rebellion (everyone else seemed to support the scum) and a love for the underdog. Never regretted that choice for a second, as bad as things are now. Mine may well be a one generation support, because I had 3 daughters and never managed to get any of them hooked. I do have a two and a half year old grandson however, so I'll be doing my best to point him in the right direction!