+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did it all go wrong - the mistakes

It started going wrong the moment Ryan Yates left. Replaced by Hussin and Virtue.
    By the end of last season we were leaking goals, we didn't strengthen and Ben Hall getting injured left us with no cover at all.
    Tootle and Jones fell to pieces, Fitz with a shaky defence in front of him and under pressure after Nolan crushed him couldn't replicate 2017 form.
    We started the season with an awful midfield, Vaughan and Hussin woeful, Hewitt not good enough to hold it together by himself.
    No width or pace, Thomas was useless, Enzio inconsistent, neither helped the full backs.
    Didn't replace Shola , went all season without a No 9, Dennis started injured, had no support and was hung out to dry playing as a lone striker.
    Too many managers, too many players, most not good enough and a chairman who had a personal but public meltdown and bankruptcy.

All in all not much went right. Hemmings has maintained his form but injuries have hampered him and Milsom having been released has come back and arguably been player of the season as he was two seasons ago. Makes you wonder why he was frozen out second half of 17/18 season when he had plenty still to give and that in itself tells a story.
    Utter mess and terrifyingly there's nothing to suggest we've yet hit rock bottom.

Blimey - I wasn’t going back that far but that season we were relegated and missed the premiership really was our miss of all time. There were many factors some have been mentioned - but it’s curious that warnock never has made a success of the top division. He’s a genius at what he does to get teams promoted but either he lacks the belief to sustain it in the top division or is just dealt a poor hand with finances with the clubs he gets there ?
    It must play on his mind - it has this year and he was almost saying Cardiff would get relegated even before a ball was kicked.

Oh and I never saw my Glenn roeder tenner ever again either.

Looking at us now its unrecognisable

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Remember that night at the Baseball Ground pretty much stopped us getting into the play offs.

93rd min OG I thought it was bad when we went down under Slade now look at us.
    I Remember when we were relegated and a commentator on television saying- nowhere were the storm clouds darker than at meadow lane

Well he was right, I thought we would soon bounce back, but we only fell further

God i will be an old man if we ever return

Sacking Craig Short is the start of this debacle............

Quote Originally Posted by LesBradd4England View Post
    Appointing Craig Short is the start of this debacle............
    Corrected that for you, that must have been what you meant

Sacking Moniz

For me the worst mistake this season was sacking Kewell - his thoughts on the squad should have respected and then have licence to take an axe to it. How arrogant Hardy seems looking back when he said "I hate to take this away from him' as if he was a child with a toy.

Then, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, there's the 4-year long mistake of allowing Stead to lead our attack. I've said many times that the strange loyalty of fans and new managers picking him would have us relegated. Some disagree, but I'll always believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    It started going wrong the moment Ryan Yates left. Replaced by Hussin and Virtue.
    By the end of last season we were leaking goals, we didn't strengthen and Ben Hall getting injured left us with no cover at all.
    Tootle and Jones fell to pieces, Fitz with a shaky defence in front of him and under pressure after Nolan crushed him couldn't replicate 2017 form.
    We started the season with an awful midfield, Vaughan and Hussin woeful, Hewitt not good enough to hold it together by himself.
    No width or pace, Thomas was useless, Enzio inconsistent, neither helped the full backs.
    Didn't replace Shola , went all season without a No 9, Dennis started injured, had no support and was hung out to dry playing as a lone striker.
    Too many managers, too many players, most not good enough and a chairman who had a personal but public meltdown and bankruptcy.

All in all not much went right. Hemmings has maintained his form but injuries have hampered him and Milsom having been released has come back and arguably been player of the season as he was two seasons ago. Makes you wonder why he was frozen out second half of 17/18 season when he had plenty still to give and that in itself tells a story.
    Utter mess and terrifyingly there's nothing to suggest we've yet hit rock bottom.
    Totally agree with this. It's tempting to go back decades, but our current disaster really only needs to be traced back to Jan last year - a disastrous transfer window that totally took the wind out of our sales. If we'd kept Yates and strengthened the team, we'd have gone up in automatic.

Then followed an even more disastrous summer, where we threw the baby out with the bath water and tried to rebuild a team that just needed tweaking. I've said it many times, but we just needed to retain Collin, O'Connor, and even Forte (squad player), replace Shola with a decent target man (Akinde), find a midfield general to do the Yates role, and a quality centre back. Really you're looking at 3 major signings, plus a squad players or loans to fill the ranks. Instead we took a scattergun approach and signed anyone who played well against us, with zero thought behind how they'd work together. It was like someone playing Championship Manager 20 years ago.

Then, of course, there was Nolan and his apparent decline outside of work. Typical of Notts to finally find a decent young manager and then for him to lose his head. Such a shame. We had so much going for us under him - until it all went wrong, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    I Remember when we were relegated and a commentator on television saying- nowhere were the storm clouds darker than at meadow lane

Well he was right, I thought we would soon bounce back, but we only fell further

God i will be an old man if we ever return
    I only seen us for one season in the top flight I wasn't old enough to go to games when Jimmy / Howard were manager but I have seen top flight teams here.

I had a spell when younger that I thought we were a championship team as its now known but as you get older you realise you are owed nothing and we are getting what we deserve.

My favourite season even though we didn't win anything was without doubt the Mick Walker season it was how I imagine Newcastle fans felt watching Keegan as manager couldn't set the defence up well but you were entertained, a year after his sacking I had to watch Colin Murphy as manager he was a prize A berk he did sign Finnan and Ward though !

I accepted a while back we will go down we need Hardy to go and hopefully an owner who has a proper plan not a fantasy one and hopefully not Smurf as that rumour isn't going away.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Remember that night at the Baseball Ground pretty much stopped us getting into the play offs.

93rd min OG I thought it was bad when we went down under Slade now look at us.
    Bloody hell I had forgot all about that game,was Forest in the same league as I can remember Forest fans coming up to me in the pub afterwards saying that they was gutted with the goal

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast