+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where did it all go wrong - the mistakes

Dunnett - Not signing Roeder
    Pavis - Selling Rideout without informing Warnock
    Scardino - Not sticking with his interest in Fword.
    Trust - Probably should have listened to Wilkinson & Co more
    Munto - Signing Sol Campbell
    Trew - Appointing Kiwomya full-time
    Hardy - Sacking Kewell

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    Corrected that for you, that must have been what you meant
    You have just devalued any comment you've ever made.

Proves you know nowt and I'm expressing my opinion, on which I don't need your input.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Totally agree with this. It's tempting to go back decades, but our current disaster really only needs to be traced back to Jan last year - a disastrous transfer window that totally took the wind out of our sales. If we'd kept Yates and strengthened the team, we'd have gone up in automatic.

Then followed an even more disastrous summer, where we threw the baby out with the bath water and tried to rebuild a team that just needed tweaking. I've said it many times, but we just needed to retain Collin, O'Connor, and even Forte (squad player), replace Shola with a decent target man (Akinde), find a midfield general to do the Yates role, and a quality centre back. Really you're looking at 3 major signings, plus a squad players or loans to fill the ranks. Instead we took a scattergun approach and signed anyone who played well against us, with zero thought behind how they'd work together. It was like someone playing Championship Manager 20 years ago.

Then, of course, there was Nolan and his apparent decline outside of work. Typical of Notts to finally find a decent young manager and then for him to lose his head. Such a shame. We had so much going for us under him - until it all went wrong, of course.
    /\ /\ This.

If ever there was a time for quality over quantity then it should have been last Summer.

Michael O Connor has played 37 matches for Lincoln this season so in hindsight his injury has not haunted or hampered him. Likewise Adam Collin has played 40 matches for Carlisle who are 9th. Letting these solid League Two players go were major mistakes because they did not need replacing, but were not adequately replaced.

I’d also add into this the 8-1 defeat by Swansea in the FA Cup. That was a national humiliation in front of the TV cameras in early February 2018. I think that caused damage.

Also we lost big dressing room characters last summer such as Mike Edwards and Alan Smith along with Shola Ameobi.

I don’t think we can apportion blame on the referee in the playoff game as the cause of all our ills because we should have been better than the officials and should not have finished in the playoffs in the first place having led the pack and been in the automatic promotion zone for five months of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post

I don’t think we can apportion blame on the referee in the playoff game as the cause of all our ills because we should have been better than the officials and should not have finished in the playoffs in the first place having led the pack and been in the automatic promotion zone for five months of the season.
    Although he was a useless tw@t, thank God for the ref. If we'd gone up can you imagine our points tally this season. We would have been jealous of Huddersfield

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I don’t think we can apportion blame on the referee in the playoff game as the cause of all our ills because we should have been better than the officials.
    It's hard to be better than the officials when in a two-leg tie they give the opposition a three goal advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by them0uf View Post
    Although he was a useless tw@t, thank God for the ref. If we'd gone up can you imagine our points tally this season. We would have been jealous of Huddersfield
    What? Even if we were now bottom of League 1 with zero points it's light years ahead of our current situation.

Lots of good reasons already mentioned so I'll add quite a simplistic one: only one player (Rose) has got a League 2 physique, ie a physique comparable to the players he's directly competing with each week.

Pretty much every other team has massive centre backs who look like they've left 2 coat hangers in their jerseys, at least one huge centre forward and a smattering of units all over the rest of the pitch.

I think it's foolish to look back further than 18 months so my take Is:
    Messing up the January 2018 transfer window
    Yates leaving
    Preseason recruitment was awful. No target man, no midfield enforcer, no decent keeper, no commanding Centre Halves. I.e. A weak spine when this should be your strong points
    Sacking Kewell, he should have been given a window to strengthen. Sacked because he had an ego to match the Chairmans. However one of them knows about football!

I feel sorry for Ardley, decent guy given a job with Everest to climb with no oxygen. I'm sure the new owners will sack him. I'd stick by him.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Lots of good reasons already mentioned so I'll add quite a simplistic one: only one player (Rose) has got a League 2 physique, ie a physique comparable to the players he's directly competing with each week.

Pretty much every other team has massive centre backs who look like they've left 2 coat hangers in their jerseys, at least one huge centre forward and a smattering of units all over the rest of the pitch.
    This is so true, and one of the reasons we struggle with set pieces in both boxes. You can get away with one or two light weight or old players, but not a whole team. It all comes down to recruitment again.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It's hard to be better than the officials when in a two-leg tie they give the opposition a three goal advantage.
    I’m with you Elite. They were shocking and I’m not excusing how bad they were and how angry, annoyed and cheated people may feel.

When you’ve been in the automatic promotion places from September till February and you haven’t recruited or freshen things up adequately in January plus losing a key player it’s not ideal.

We should have gone for the title while we had the chance and it was within our grasp. We lead the pack as well for a while so it’s not like we were in and out of the top three either.

We basically messed up in the January transfer window and other things, and the playoffs were merely a consolation prize as the opportunity of gaining automatic promotion had already gone from our grasp.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast