+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Manager

The Manager

As a result of investigating things for something else i'm looking at i found out that at his three previous managerial appointments the manager was pretty consistent in his results.

His ratios of wins and draws over the 386 games he oversaw prior to dens was win 39.4% and draw 24.6%

If replicated in his 28 games in charge with us this would be around 40 points in that time.

So what the hell has happened at Dens - he had experience, he had a track record and he won a trophy that no Dundee manager has won in 45 years.

I also hear a lot that attendances are down because of it - they actually aren't. In the season we sent Utd down our average at home was 6,120 and this season so far it's 6,132. In between the numbers in each season were 6,432 and 5,947 so nothing has significantly changed. In the Club 12 season when we were bottom the average was 5,958. We had a spike the season after we won the league but these are fairly consistent numbers.

Why does it all feel so bad right now?

Did he have Dodds throughout? Now he doesn't, has he lost his mojo with no-one to really turn to. If that is the case, then in hindsight Nelms should have stop the whole thing in its tracks. As for attendances, if season tickets are routinely included, then you'd expect some consistency. Next season will be very different if nothing changes, not even including the 90% drop-off from away fans if the froots get promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post
    As a result of investigating things for something else i'm looking at i found out that at his three previous managerial appointments the manager was pretty consistent in his results.

His ratios of wins and draws over the 386 games he oversaw prior to dens was win 39.4% and draw 24.6%

If replicated in his 28 games in charge with us this would be around 40 points in that time.

So what the hell has happened at Dens - he had experience, he had a track record and he won a trophy that no Dundee manager has won in 45 years.

I also hear a lot that attendances are down because of it - they actually aren't. In the season we sent Utd down our average at home was 6,120 and this season so far it's 6,132. In between the numbers in each season were 6,432 and 5,947 so nothing has significantly changed. In the Club 12 season when we were bottom the average was 5,958. We had a spike the season after we won the league but these are fairly consistent numbers.

Why does it all feel so bad right now?
    I can answer that.

Attendance figs are much worse but they count people like me who no longer go as I have a season tic, the full effect won't be felt till next season when there will be far less season tic holders and much lower attendances.

McIntyre shud have been gone as soon as his sidekick wasn't employed, preferably paid from Nelms on pocket as it was his **** up.

It feels so bad as we have a **** ground, a **** team and I'm gonna say this a **** support (at the moment) and we know we have further to fall if things stay the same.

We have missed the greatest opportunity in a generation or two to cement our place as top dogs in our wee town and the chance may not come around again for a long time.

There is only a limited amount of times a club can **** up b4 ****ing up becomes the norm, people don't want to be associated with constant **** ups that's why people are saying enuf.

I think Keyes has 3 or 4 weeks to save this club from going into freefall, I hope he listens to someone or something as the status quo of it all feeling rather pointless will kill this club.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I hope he listens to someone or something as the status quo of it all feeling rather pointless will kill this club.
    I've been struggling to sum up what my feeling is right now toward the club and why I'm going the way I am i.e. no season ticket and picking and choosing next season. You've maybe just done me a favour because I think my feeling might be that it's pointless, if we get through this crisis there will be another right round the corner so why even bother worrying about how to get through this one?

Think I'll just sit back and let John the promise breaker do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I've been struggling to sum up what my feeling is right now toward the club and why I'm going the way I am i.e. no season ticket and picking and choosing next season. You've maybe just done me a favour because I think my feeling might be that it's pointless, if we get through this crisis there will be another right round the corner so why even bother worrying about how to get through this one?

Think I'll just sit back and let John the promise breaker do it.
    I will sum up my feelings regarding this season.
    Living in Islay I used to look forward to a Saturday afternoon and sit reading the text report on the club website.
    Now I dread a Saturday and although I still read the text report I will do other things and check up every ten minutes or so to see the latest score. As soon as we go 0-1 down I might as well give up reading the text report as the game is over as far as the current Dundee team are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I will sum up my feelings regarding this season.
    Living in Islay I used to look forward to a Saturday afternoon and sit reading the text report on the club website.
    Now I dread a Saturday and although I still read the text report I will do other things and check up every ten minutes or so to see the latest score. As soon as we go 0-1 down I might as well give up reading the text report as the game is over as far as the current Dundee team are concerned.
    Islay, that's the point. This team isn't good enough. The team next year will be better, I hope! Rross is right when he said that our support has not been good enough. we have turned up in numbers but we have not been noisy and supportive when the opposition score a goal. We have completely bought the once we go behind we may as well go home scenario. Our silence is what's killing us, IMO. There are reasons for the silence, Rross has explained the loss of the young and noisy fans from the SE, and there is general disbelief that this set of players can deliver goals, or clean sheets.

If we get relegated it won't be the same players so it won't be the same team and it might not even be the same manager. Different, always in the mind of the football supporter, creates the hope that it will be better!

4 changes today, manager picks his mates and bizarrely goes with J Curran who is ineffective. That's why he has lost 8 games in a row but you always have hope the tombola works eventually.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)