+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactics - or lack of them!

Tactics - or lack of them!

I'm afraid that our managers tactics have led to our position in the league, - and yet it's not for the lack of the various problems being pointed out to him.

Yet again Queens were left exposed at a corner kick (against Ross County, - but it could have been any match this season) with no one covering the post, - despite this problem having been mentioned ump**** times on this board. Had there been a defender on the post, County's first goal would have been cleared easily. This matter was actually mentioned during the half time discussion, - so would it be possible for the manager to consider doing something about it given that the TV experts have now pointed it out?

To add insult to injury the highlights of last week's matches were shown at half time last night, - and once again Dunfermline were given a free header into an empty goal. My wife could not believe what she was witnessing when she saw that, and she asked "why does the manager not ensure that his team carries out the fundamental tasks?" All I could say was "it's not for the want of the club's fans highlighting where the team are going wrong."

Given that the 'experts' have now indicated where Queen's problems lie and it is not mere fans who know nothing, - could I respectfully ask Mr. Naysmith to undertake this most basic of tasks against Partick next week? Indeed let me spell it out: At corners could you ensure that the posts are covered please?

If Queens were to finish in 9th position in their Centenary year, the fans would never forgive you and especially if we lost goals at corners.

I have seen in some recent games where Queens have stopped goals with either Mercer or Marshall heading clear from being on the posts but as has been highlighted it really is basic schoolboy defending when both posts aren't covered at corners. The fact that the Queens manager was himself a full back, you would reckon that he would be clued up on this?

Then there's not utilising substitutes! Why when we went 2-0 down was a change not implemented?

it was 10 minutes after we went 3 down that he brought on his first substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Then there's not utilising substitutes! Why when we went 2-0 down was a change not implemented?

it was 10 minutes after we went 3 down that he brought on his first substitute.
    Naysmith has went from not using subs quickly to then using them and back to not again....

He's been here long enough now to learn from his mistakes.
    Unfortunately where ever we end up at the end of the season the board simply have to get rid of him.

2 seasons and we are moving backwards not forwards

I find it really quite sad that he chooses to be so belligerent. I have asked, - nay pleaded with the man to up-skill his keepers into being able to claim or punch the ball; to man the posts at corners; to track back after losing the ball; to utilise Marshall and Mercer more in the overlapping roles; not to play Dobbie when he needs resting and to make better use of his substitutes, - and many other supporters have requested the same.

I and many others have also applauded him when he does what is asked, and as recently as the Dunfermline match he did most of the above.

Clearly, a manager can do what the hell he likes, because at the end of the day he is what it says on the tin 'the manager.' However, - as in all industries, the share-holders start asking questions when things go pear shaped and it is up to the manger to take on board those questions and react to them in a positive manner.

If a manager continues to blatantly ignore constructive advice, and consequently makes the same basic errors, - then he is either too full of his own importance or not capable of doing the job.

Not sure you can train a keeper to come off his line. Possibly comes down to a confidence thing or a individuals style.

We never stick a player on the back post for a corner and that to me is just basic defending. Also we have a tendency to get everyone back instead of leaving one or two players up the pitch.

Imo the County game was lost because we never took our chances early on.

We our reaping the rewards of what we sowed earlier on in the season. Defensive style , constant changing to the starting 11, dropping key players (Stirling etc ) and the reliance on Dobbie usually up front on his own!

Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans View Post
    Not sure you can train a keeper to come off his line. Possibly comes down to a confidence thing or a individuals style.

We never stick a player on the back post for a corner and that to me is just basic defending. Also we have a tendency to get everyone back instead of leaving one or two players up the pitch.

Imo the County game was lost because we never took our chances early on.

We our reaping the rewards of what we sowed earlier on in the season. Defensive style , constant changing to the starting 11, dropping key players (Stirling etc ) and the reliance on Dobbie usually up front on his own!

only at queens do you see a manager last this long after error apon error the dropping stirling most of the early season is a sacking offence alone for me ,there is a reason queens dont move forward, or stay stagnant ,in our case already on a backward spiral ,is our fans ,no not the ones who have stayed away but the faithful ,most us queens fans are to happy with queens ,happy just to exist ,try go watch another club some time and stand with there home fans ,you will see a massive difference from standing at palmy ,il take hibs for instance bigger club i know but its the will of the fans that drive clubs forward and when things go pear shaped there i can tell you the players the board ,everyone associated with the club get absolutely lambasted ,heads roll other clubs fans dont put up with what the queens faithful put up with ,thats queens prob ,our club starts to move backwards or stagnates and the fans praise our board for keeping the club afloat loool you couldnae make it up .

I wonder if Naysmith doesnt get a new contract in the summer whether Queens will try and get Johnston and Clark back to Palmerston, although going by the reaction of the Pars fans they were not very complimentary about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    only at queens do you see a manager last this long after error apon error the dropping stirling most of the early season is a sacking offence alone for me ,there is a reason queens dont move forward, or stay stagnant ,in our case already on a backward spiral ,is our fans ,no not the ones who have stayed away but the faithful ,most us queens fans are to happy with queens ,happy just to exist ,try go watch another club some time and stand with there home fans ,you will see a massive difference from standing at palmy ,il take hibs for instance bigger club i know but its the will of the fans that drive clubs forward and when things go pear shaped there i can tell you the players the board ,everyone associated with the club get absolutely lambasted ,heads roll other clubs fans dont put up with what the queens faithful put up with ,thats queens prob ,our club starts to move backwards or stagnates and the fans praise our board for keeping the club afloat loool you couldnae make it up .
    Well of course Francis you are right, in your Trumpesque way, that the real problem with Queens are those fans that turn up day in day out to support their club through thick and thin without whom the club would fail to exist. You logic is so totally flawed it is barely worth responding too however we hurt as next as the next man probably much more so as the club means so much more to us than those that barely turn up at all which would appear to include yourself. We all know that the underlying problem is the lack of funding to compete on a level playing field with most of the other clubs in the Championship but until some benefactor comes along and is prepared to invest big time in Queens we have to deal with those cards we have been dealt with until circumstances change. Most of us on this site have criticised Naysmith's tactics at some time this season myself on numerous occasions identifying that he is generally overly cautious and over thinks the opposition rather than concentrating up our own attacking resources however whilst he is still in the job the supporters should be behind the club especially with this crucial game coming up. When the season is finished I am sure we will all have our say on this open forum and changes in both playing personnel and management will inevitable occur as is the nature of the Scottish game. By continually harping on about what we are already well aware of becomes very tedious to the point of annoying especially as we cannot influence the situation without detrimentally affecting the club and the confidence of already fragile players.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)