+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who to pick going into the final game?

Quote Originally Posted by seventwo View Post
    The last home game of the season is a celebration of what's gone before so it should be the usual group of players.
    That is a very fair point, Seventwo, but I think TM rightly decided the Norwich game was not the right one for experimentation, so he might try out two or three youngsters - perhaps off the bench - on Sunday. If he does it the other way round, and players like Smallwood Mulgrew and Conway come on for the last half-hour, it might be a signal that they are being farewelled.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    but how do you then keep them all happy?
    Derrick Williams is a case in point. If we DO buy the second dominant centre-half everyone's calling for, what happens to DW? Does he become another Downing, waiting for injuries? Obviously, he can cover full-back too, but he is surely too reliable, to have him kicking his heels for three-quarters of the season.

Aucks, our season pretty much fell apart in one game, which then had an impact on the next few months. Brentford away. After 20 mins of this game, we where 6th in the league. Around where I think we could've finished this season. As its been not great standard wise.

We went on to lose 5-2 and lost Lenihan to long term injury. Then we wilted and dropped like a stone. the reason, we had no back up.

The answer to your question, both Williams and Lenihan are fine. If you can guarantee both play in every game, and never get injured or suspended its a good pairing.
    What happens if one gets injured? Or suspended? I asked this at the start of last season. And it came back to bite us really hard. Same with the GK situation.
    You cant just have 11 players and the rest just merley making up the numbers. They need to be as good as the one they are replacing. If we lost either CH we will be in big trouble, again. Finding a way of keeping everyone involved and motivated is the job of a manager. Football changed many years ago, it went from a 11/13 man squad, to a 22 man squad. That's what is required in a marathon which is the Champ. What happens is, you get completion for places.
    If you drop your performance level, you are out of the side. Where Mulgrew should have been ever since last Dec.
    I do see all that, Champs, but we are not a PL club. Can we REALLY afford 22 players of roughly equal ability, none of whom would weaken the team if brought in?
    That would mean some of them were not even in the match-day squad! I just think it's not realistic...and what would be the reaction of the players who were regularly missing out?
    I reckon you have to have a couple of utility players like Bennett. He ran out of steam towards the end of the season, but we shouldn't forget how much he contributed before Christmas, despite almost never playing in his favoured position.

I would be very dubious about getting shot of Bennett and Conway.
    They can still perform at this level,just not all of the time.
    You have to have a measure of experience at this level mixed with youth
    What Bennett and Conway lack they make up with effort.

And I don't think you can do without that. There is also their influence in the changing-room to take into account.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)