+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Has rodwell played his last game for us?

Has rodwell played his last game for us?

On last night's showing by him I would say yes.
    He showed glimpses on genuine quality however it's not been consistent and with a strong chance he would want at least 25 to 30 grand a week,we could spend those wages elsewhere.

I think it WILL all come down to the money.
    I wonder if his agent has got anything lined up. The problem for Rodwell with us is that if Mowbray gets his targets, he (JR) will not be a likely starter either in midfield or at the back. I suppose he could get one extra game next weekend to show something special. Perhaps he is always going to be one of those "nearly" players.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    On last night's showing by him I would say yes.
    He showed glimpses on genuine quality however it's not been consistent and with a strong chance he would want at least 25 to 30 grand a week,we could spend those wages elsewhere.
    I thought last night showed again that quite a few are just not good enough moving forwards. The GK shoudve saved their first. He made some ok saves, but is not the answer. Rodwell just isn't good enough. He stood off them and I thought was pretty poor again. He also exposed Travis badly. That lad needs help, not exposing. He has to be moved on. There are better players around and we have to be clever with our recruitment like Norwich. Certainly look to tap into the European market where players are cheaper.
    The fact remains at this level. The English lads down here are second division plsyers. All for a reason. None of them are top quality. And it shows. Yet the majority are massively over priced. I hear Championship experience is a must. Yet if you look at Norwich yesterday, almost all often had no real Champ experience. The lad who caught my eye was the centre half who thet got from Shrewsbury last season. I think he was on loan? There is quality in the league below, and in Europe which isn't at a premium. Wolves did the Portuguese thing we tried. Except they are proper footballers with Wolves. But you can find relative success elsewhere. You just need to be clever. I'm sorry it didn't work out with Rodwell. At first I did think we could've got lucky with him.

Rodwell reminds me of the situation with Danny Guthrie. Both are players who looked top-notch early in their careers, but never came through in the way expected.

Interesting developments.
    Tony mowbray has not ruled out that he might stay after all.
    He showed glimpses of quality but not on a consistent basis.
    If he knuckled down then why not?but if he gets a long term contract and acts like he did at Sunderland,then I would rather the wages are spent elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Interesting developments.
    Tony mowbray has not ruled out that he might stay after all.
    He showed glimpses of quality but not on a consistent basis.
    If he knuckled down then why not?but if he gets a long term contract and acts like he did at Sunderland,then I would rather the wages are spent elsewhere.

Well, my views are a little negative.
    So we let him go. Then we look around (for the next few weeks until the window closes) and realise we wont get anyone in at all. Or if we do, it will be someone crap.
    In short, he isn't up to it. But who the hell can we attract who is any better? Nobody. And time is rapidly running out.
    So we are better just accepting it and moving on. As squad players go, I guess he is ok.
    We wont move on with guys like him.
    But its very clear we have no intention of doing so. We are unable to get much better than this. And Venkys have been told that.

I think he now has just four days to make up his mind.
    As far as we know, there have been no character/disciplinary issues with him at Ewood, but you do begin to wonder if he's actually that bothered about football at all!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)