+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hastie departure confirmed

Hastie departure confirmed

The club has confirmed that Hastie will leave at the end of the season. Let's hope we can extract the appropriate compensation from his new club.

Shame to lose him as he looked a good prospect but if he doesn't want to commit to Motherwell FC then out he goes and we move on.

I must admit there are shades of Paul Slane about this move. A youngster comes through the youth system, plays a handful of games and leaves for Glasgow at the first glimpse of big money. You can't blame the player for taking the opportunity to potentially make life changing money but only time will tell if this is a good career move for him. That's not our problem any more though and hopefully we can pull out the stops to keep Turnbull, Cadden and Campbell at Fir Park for next season.

Grateful to him for his contribution and goals during our "purple patch" earlier in the year. Allowed us to pull clear of the dross at the lower end of the table, with 6 straight league wins. However, he's now yesterdays man. Lets concentrate our efforts on the young talent who wish to pull on the claret & amber.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy91 View Post
    Grateful to him for his contribution and goals during our "purple patch" earlier in the year. Allowed us to pull clear of the dross at the lower end of the table, with 6 straight league wins. However, he's now yesterdays man. Lets concentrate our efforts on the young talent who wish to pull on the claret & amber.
    A pity to lose him on clear balance, but some of us in the DC felt that he had shaded a bit as other teams worked him out. Not that it matters; we move on.

Hastie burst onto the scene spectacularly and had his head turned by offers elsewhere rather than re-sign for us. Of late though his form has shaded - a flash in the pan? Whilst he did muck us about he is entitled to do what he's doing. Going by the Official statment he brassed off people at the club. Its his decision and he's now yesterday's man. We can safely assume he won't appear in claret and amber again.

His initial burst was great to help us move away from from danger but was clearly above his average performance. Luckily for him it earned him his big contract and time will tell if it was a one-off burst or a sign of his true potential.

I'd rather have kept him but 400k and a wee sell-on clause for a guy who has played for us fewer than 20 times is by no means a disaster.

A strange one for me in so many ways. He had a purple patch which caught the eye of some clubs but has jaded recently. I really can't see how he's going to get a regular game for Rangers as they are overloaded in that position at the moment. I can certainly see how his head would be turned by the money being offered and it's the old money v games thing again which I don't know the answer to that one. I can see him sitting kicking his heels for a couple of seasons at Ibrox.

Solution to the lack of games for Hastie would be for him to be loaned back to us, pity I don’t see that happening any time soon

Quote Originally Posted by wellin View Post
    I can certainly see how his head would be turned by the money being offered and it's the old money v games thing again which I don't know the answer to that one.
    The answer is take the cash. It's different if you're already earning well, you're not necessarily happier on 100k a week than 50k, but to go from us to a fat contract with the OF should set you up for life even if you never kick a ball again.

Besides, as I often say in these scenarios, I seriously doubt Hastie will think he's not good enough to get his minutes, that's not an attitude which gets you anywhere in professional football.

No thanks, we as a club have helped and developed him to where he is now. Dont want to bring him on any more to assist a rival club especially one of the ugly sisters. As I said early he's yesterdays man. Likelyhood he will be farmed out but to a lower league English club that Slippy G has contacts with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)