+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: World Oldest Professional Football Club

World Oldest Professional Football Club

Suppose we should smoothly transition into advertising ourselves as that now instead...

*World's

Orrrrr World’s newest National League club

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Suppose we should smoothly transition into advertising ourselves as that now instead...

*World's
    id just like us to transition into a top 7 conference side we've a long way to go to be that good

I've noticed the BBC just recently have been referring to us as that at a national level, and quite frankly, it should always have been that. You can't be the world's oldest football League club as it's a national League, the old title never made any sense

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    id just like us to transition into a top 7 conference side we've a long way to go to be that good
    Is prob the right answer..... you just have to look at clubs that go down to the National league... how many come back at the first attempt? I actually can not remember any... some have never came back and are a shell of their former selves.... if this side played in the National league next season we would just smashed week in and out... it needs gutting and a near owner and manager... how did it get to this

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    Is prob the right answer..... you just have to look at clubs that go down to the National league... how many come back at the first attempt? I actually can not remember any... some have never came back and are a shell of their former selves.... if this side played in the National league next season we would just smashed week in and out... it needs gutting and a near owner and manager... how did it get to this
    Bristol Rovers, Lincoln City first time they went to the 5th Tier came straight back up, others Leyton Orient - 2 seasons, Tranmere - 3 seasons

And my lot, Carlisle

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I've noticed the BBC just recently have been referring to us as that at a national level, and quite frankly, it should always have been that. You can't be the world's oldest football League club as it's a national League, the old title never made any sense
    It's like the winners of the SuperBowl in the states referring to themselves as World Champions despite no teams from other countries competing in their league.

If Notts going into the National League means we're no longer a Football League club then shouldn't teams like Forest, Bolton, Stoke etc spending time in the Premier League also make them ineligible?

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    It's like the winners of the SuperBowl in the states referring to themselves as World Champions despite no teams from other countries competing in their league.

If Notts going into the National League means we're no longer a Football League club then shouldn't teams like Forest, Bolton, Stoke etc spending time in the Premier League also make them ineligible?
    Agree with this, if you are in the premier league you can t be in the football league too...