+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now it's over

Now it's over

Who do we seriously need and who needs to go?
    Goalkeepers:raya we need to keep but genuine competition is a must
    Is leutwiler the answer?probably not
    I heard hart banded around,please no.
    Defenders:yes and quite a few of them
    Right and left back along with a strong centre half is a absolute must.
    Mulgrew has had his day and with rodwell almost certainly gone,we are really short in that department.
    Midfielders:I feel we have quite a bit of quality here
    Travis
    Davenport
    Evans(when fit)
    Buckley(future)
    Bennett can slot in well there
    Rothwell,Bennett,Chapman and hopefully a year extension for Conway and it's looking quite strong.
    Maybe a quality addition centrally if it becomes available.
    Attack: another good area
    Dack if he stays will have a good year for us or if he goes will get us a chance to bring in quality.
    Graham:age against him but one more year in him.
    Samuel returns and who knows could bare fruit.
    Butterworth and brereton showing enormous promise along with the Armstrong sometimes being hard to play against,things are looking promising.
    It's time to say goodbye to some but with good youth coming through and hopefully some funds made available it could be a good season coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Who do we seriously need and who needs to go?
    Goalkeepers:raya we need to keep but genuine competition is a must
    Is leutwiler the answer?probably not
    I heard hart banded around,please no.
    Defenders:yes and quite a few of them
    Right and left back along with a strong centre half is a absolute must.
    Mulgrew has had his day and with rodwell almost certainly gone,we are really short in that department.
    Midfielders:I feel we have quite a bit of quality here
    Travis
    Davenport
    Evans(when fit)
    Buckley(future)
    Bennett can slot in well there
    Rothwell,Bennett,Chapman and hopefully a year extension for Conway and it's looking quite strong.
    Maybe a quality addition centrally if it becomes available.
    Attack: another good area
    Dack if he stays will have a good year for us or if he goes will get us a chance to bring in quality.
    Graham:age against him but one more year in him.
    Samuel returns and who knows could bare fruit.
    Butterworth and brereton showing enormous promise along with the Armstrong sometimes being hard to play against,things are looking promising.
    It's time to say goodbye to some but with good youth coming through and hopefully some funds made available it could be a good season coming up.
    All the talk at the game yesterday was around Mowbrays visit out to India later in the week. It's thought he will be given a large amount to spend for next season. Of which he is very keen to get out and spend.
    There will be a big over-turn of the players who aren't Good enough. And I've been saying it for weeks, it's clear who they are.
    Who will leave or be allowed to go with immediate effect.
    Both keepers. Neither are what we need. Raya has had a huge fall out with Mowbray. Who was very vocal about his undoubted weakness. He will go. As will the other lads Who is crap. Nowhere near good enough for us. Nor a push for promotion. Talk is we are very keen on Scott Carson. Hart would be a big step up. We need someone of Prem class, to organise our defence. Like Paul Robinson did in his time with us. Hart is in s similar point in his career.
    Downing & Mulgew will be replaced by 2 new centre halves. Bauer and another.
    Bennett, Evans and Smallwood& Conway. will all leave. Davenport and Travis are the future. Buckley and another signing will suffice. It's ok having experience, if that experience is crap, then no point having it. All 4 need to move on. Conway is a pity to see him leave.
    Gladwin has to go ....please.
    Samuel will stay and be like a new signing. He will likely take up Nuttall's spot. Graham will stay for another season.
    Rodwell left a while back. And won't be missed.
    I still don't see what Rothwell brings. Long term I think we can do much better. The only position he could play and be effective, could be in Dacks. If he was to leave. Which I'm unsure about? I don't see a Prem side buying him? That said, had Leeds got him in Jan, they'd be up instead of Sheff Utd. May be Fulham may see him as a possible? Their kind of player.
    We have also identified some targets in Europe. Which TM has been watching.
    Summer will be interesting. Alot of the rubbish like Raya etc will go. The old guard who are way past their best will move on. And fresh new blood brought in, so we can push on and aim for a play off push.
    1st season back our aim was 60 points and mid-table. 2nd season we always aimed to spend some money and push on for the play offs. We have one of the bigger budgets in this league. And one of the better young sides. We desperately need to move onto another level now. And upgrade what we have. Which we will starting pretty much straight away.

We have to be mindful not to flood the team with new recruits
    The Fulham effect if you like.
    Yes we are at the point of push on or stagnate but I am not sure 8 or 9 players in is the answer.
    Keep raya but have someone who will push hard for the number one jersey not who will come in last 4 games for a try out.
    Defensively we need a good sort out and we all knew that but apart from that I would be very cautious to make to many alterations.
    Smallwood and mulgrew would be the only 2 I would probably get rid of out of the promotion winning side.
    Bennett is a Jack of all trades and sometimes they have there uses.

Can you see Rovers getting in a play off spot next season with Smallwood & Bennett? I can't.

Rovers are off-loading both keepers. Neither are good enough. Raya has had a big falling out with TM.
    While I agree, the first season you dobt just throw away all your players who helped her you up. Which is why we didn't. But Mowbray has also stated we have played half a season with players not quite good enough.
    Can Smallwood argue he hasn't been given a chance? Can Raya? Can Mulgrew? Can Bennett? None of them can. We know by now who can do what, and who is worth keeping.
    We have money, we intend on spending it. And we have the basis of s good solid foundation. Now it's time to move on. Starting with the ones who have played, and not been good enough. Like Bennett etc.

I said it early on. Of the side finishing the season, only 4 of 5 will be good enough to keep. And it's true.
    The main concern is if we lost Lenihan. It's key we keep him. He is the only centre half we have. We desperately need 2 or 3 like him if we are to challenge. Which I think we will.

Wolves spent big in the Champ. Then they went and spent big again I the Prem. And will finish as one of the best 7 or 8 sides on the league. One season out of the Champ. People are fixated on Fulham. They bought poorly.

On the whole I agree with the OP.
    Bringing young players on is the sensible option for the future and the backroom staff seem to be doing a good job there, I include the signing of Brereton here too.
    Keep Raya, I still think he has great potential. Need a new first choice though and perhaps loan Raya out
    Not sure why Nyambe is out of favour? I like Williams at CH and Lenihan is good enough, really not sure aboiut Bell. I think Mulgrew will go. Downing is worth another look at but we need a commanding CH
    Conway needs to go unless he stays on a low salary to help the youngsters and fill in when needed. Bennett can also be a decent squad member to fill in.
    I'd like Reed back, Smallwood, Evans and Gladwin can go. I'll never understand the Chapman signing, get him out on loan.
    We need a few in but they must be ready to slot in and strenghten the spine of the team
    I'll leave the backroom staff to assess our youngsters. Any likely prospects can be loaned out.
    Last edited by seventwo; 06-05-2019 at 06:03 PM.

I've bought a season ticket for next season and hope to get to a few away games.
    Always happy to meet up for a pint before a match or offer lifts to any away game less than a couple of hours drive away.
    This is a BIG close season. We need a few but the work ethic and team spirit are the key to this team and rightly so.

I was very disappointed with Chapman yesterday. He looks to have lost sone of that blistering pace he possessed before his injuries. I hope he improves, or he may not make it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)