+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Leeds vs Rams - Playoff 1st Leg!

I thought we had the best of the first 15 and the last 15. The hour in between belonged to the DYS. We can't complain at losing this one based on play.

The ref let a lot go and that, IMO, led to the raft of cards late on. If he had done his job properly from the off. Here are a few things he got wrong.

Tomori. Double footed, straight legged dive on the ball. The ref spoke to him. He got away with this one because the nearest DYS player was a good 2 yards away from the ball. Anther ref, another day and he might have seen red.

The head butt. That was red all day.

Huddlestone. Forearm into a DYS neck. Only yellow and fortunate IMO.

The that non-penalty. The incident happened and the ref gave a spot kick. I smiled and thought "this makes up for some of the ones that got away". Then the assistant put his oar in and the decision was reversed. They then showed a replay and I changed my mind. It looked like Bogle got his hip and leg between player and ball, the player then tried to kick the ball but took Bogle'sleft leg instead. The ref's first thoughts were right. Had that in the centre circle happened it would have been a direct free kick so, IMO, it was a penalty.

The ref wasn't as bad as the one I saw earlier in the afternoon in the Dortmund v Dusseldorf game. He awarded a penalty that wasn't. When the taker made contact with the ball, the keeper was 4 yards off his line. Tehe taker put it wide. Kick not retaken. Unbelievable Jeff.

As I predicted, they muscled Wilson out of the game and he was totally ineffective. Same with Lawrence to a lesser degree. We basically played them with 9 men. The return will tell us a lot about FL and tactics. If he starts both of them again then he hasn't learnt a thing. The DYS "style" virtually takes both players out of the game. I said start without them, I feel I was right.

At Bellend Road we have to go at them. Sitting back as we did for an hour will be no more than signing our own Dexit papers.

We CAN do this but not if we start with Tom and Harry. Not that they aren't good players but with a horses for courses mentality they aren't suited to this course.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I thought we had the best of the first 15 and the last 15. The hour in between belonged to the DYS. We can't complain at losing this one based on play.

The ref let a lot go and that, IMO, led to the raft of cards late on. If he had done his job properly from the off. Here are a few things he got wrong.

Tomori. Double footed, straight legged dive on the ball. The ref spoke to him. He got away with this one because the nearest DYS player was a good 2 yards away from the ball. Anther ref, another day and he might have seen red.

The head butt. That was red all day.

Huddlestone. Forearm into a DYS neck. Only yellow and fortunate IMO.

The that non-penalty. The incident happened and the ref gave a spot kick. I smiled and thought "this makes up for some of the ones that got away". Then the assistant put his oar in and the decision was reversed. They then showed a replay and I changed my mind. It looked like Bogle got his hip and leg between player and ball, the player then tried to kick the ball but took Bogle'sleft leg instead. The ref's first thoughts were right. Had that in the centre circle happened it would have been a direct free kick so, IMO, it was a penalty.

The ref wasn't as bad as the one I saw earlier in the afternoon in the Dortmund v Dusseldorf game. He awarded a penalty that wasn't. When the taker made contact with the ball, the keeper was 4 yards off his line. Tehe taker put it wide. Kick not retaken. Unbelievable Jeff.

As I predicted, they muscled Wilson out of the game and he was totally ineffective. Same with Lawrence to a lesser degree. We basically played them with 9 men. The return will tell us a lot about FL and tactics. If he starts both of them again then he hasn't learnt a thing. The DYS "style" virtually takes both players out of the game. I said start without them, I feel I was right.

At Bellend Road we have to go at them. Sitting back as we did for an hour will be no more than signing our own Dexit papers.

We CAN do this but not if we start with Tom and Harry. Not that they aren't good players but with a horses for courses mentality they aren't suited to this course.
    MA have to agree at least one of those two should not start Lets face it Wilson's only there for the free kicks Unfortunately he's like Lawrence at his best playing centrally Can't agree about the pen I sit about 15yds from the incident Bogle clearly pulls the defender back before any tackle is made Pretty sure that's what the lino flagged for
    Last edited by mistaram; 12-05-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I know we were poor Ubique, and I accept you were the better side, but continuing with the ‘objective’ line...it’d be unusual for you to win ‘3 or 4 to 0’ when you only managed three shots on target.
    Tbh, and objective, neither ‘keeper had a deal to do.
    Don't entertain the yorkshire ponce ffs

They only come on giving it large when they've won ffs

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I know we were poor Ubique, and I accept you were the better side, but continuing with the ‘objective’ line...it’d be unusual for you to win ‘3 or 4 to 0’ when you only managed three shots on target.
    Tbh, and objective, neither ‘keeper had a deal to do.
    Indeed but we did have 12 shots (to your 7) and some of those could have resulted in a goal if we had executed the finish better (sadly, a regular problem for us) not forgetting a couple of blocks that were goal bound but not officially recorded as 'shots on target'. We also had 8 corners which should present a viable goal threat. My point wasn't about how many shots we had but more about our overall performance could (should) have resulted in more goals. Your keeper made a half decent save from Roofe quite soon after the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    See you were at the back of the brains queue You can always rely on Klich to stick the nut on i suppose. How the suck can you be 3 or 4 up when you only had two shots on target
    3 on target, a couple blocked not recorded as on target, 12 shots and 8 corners. As far as brains are concerned, I shudder to think what your qualifications and occupation are - I'm guessing probably a professional benefits fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by UbiqueLUFC33 View Post
    3 on target, a couple blocked not recorded as on target, 12 shots and 8 corners. As far as brains are concerned, I shudder to think what your qualifications and occupation are - I'm guessing probably a professional benefits fraud?
    Spot on about the benefits fraud mate Only fools like you go to work As for qualifications i was once a milk monitor at school It was a really good school well it was approved

Lol mista.

Having seen another video of the penalty decision, I'm now convinced it should have stood. Bogles leg was kicked away from the ball by the Leeds player's leg en route to the ball... So he took out the player before the ball.

Too late now, but I suspect even VAR would've struggled to get that right with any element of speed.

Ahh VAR.

I still think back to the game some seasons back now when Chris Martin was sent off against Burnley at their place.
    The defender stood on his foot in the box, a defo penalty but the ref genuinely saw otherwise, probably swayed by Martin’s tenancy to hit the deck at any opportunity. Therefore a double whammy.... not get the chance for a 1-0 lead AND lose your CF who was playing well for us at the time. It effectively stopped our last chance of putting pressure on Burnley for promotion.

But do you know what?
    I’d rather have that than the horrible system that is VAR. OK fine for ball over the line issues.
    But as for tight offsides (toe or nose 3mm in front of the last man) is crap.
    As for fouls for penalties being scrutinised time and again for faint contact or otherwise to contradict a refs honest opinion. Crap!!

VARs limited use also is rediculous if technology has to be used. EG The lino and ref between them get a throw in or corner decision wrong. They fire the (wrongly awarded) set play into the box and score from it. If we are going to use VAR, why not for any decision that is wrong?? In the example above, a goal has still been gained “unfairly”.

I’d rather they bin the the whole VAR bollox and let me celebrate a goal in real time than sit back down and look at my watch until a video has been rocked back and forth only then for the 5th official?? to tell the referee what to allow!

Refs are going to just rely on the cameras for fear of getting any decision “wrong”.

When I played, at a very low standard, the referees decision was final. Now he is the only one of the 23 people on the pitch who isn’t allowed to make a mistake.

The Ref gave the penalty so it should have stood, he was nearer the incident than the linesman.

I thought we were easily beaten by the better side, playing Nugent from the off shows Frank has a problem with Marriott?
    lot's of Rumours flying about but to me Frank didn't pick his best team. I've been thinking of ways we could beat them at Elland Road
    but can't see us even scoring. Wilson and Lawrence great on their day but just don't do enough to be a guaranteed a regular start IMO.
    Don't get me wrong Wilsons free kicks have been great but that's it, he's so lightweight. Anyway here's hoping but I think we'll
    lose 2-0 on the night.

Obviously things we don't know MoP. Is it an issue between Marriott and FL or is the issue connected to the virus that saw the lad lose 20lbs inside a week and is that more than a virus but something chronic and leng term like Crohn's or some other debilitating illness?

I've said it before and now you say the same, Wilson doesn't perform against sides who are overly physical. Lawro idem ditto. I also think both are better playing inside than out wide. I'd play just the one from the start, or neither of them, having a skilful, quick player coming on for the last 20 to 25.....

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)