+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gary Liddle

Until NA moved rose into midfield, we were being outmuscled nearly every time, constantly losing 2nd balls, and physically second best in the middle of the park. I reckon we need a 'strong' core running through the middle of the team. At every level someone has to win the bloody ball!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Pie View Post
    At every level someone has to win the bloody ball!

"It's quite simply a game of football. I'm fed-up listening to people talk BULL about tactics, formations and football science. Get first to the ball, and you've a chance in football. You don't get first to the ball, you've no chance!"

Graeme Souness speaking on RTE last week

https://twitter.com/VMSportIE/status...327872/video/1

This.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Oliver ripped Grimsby to bits, a team that had just come up from the national league. I wouldn't say he'd be a bad signing, he's no Shola but then, no one is!
    His goal-scoring record is pretty shocking, but he's a unit and always seems to cause the opposition issues when I've seen him play. We need a target man not necessarily for goals, but to hold the ball up and bring others into play. He'd be ideal in the NL really.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    His goal-scoring record is pretty shocking, but he's a unit and always seems to cause the opposition issues when I've seen him play. We need a target man not necessarily for goals, but to hold the ball up and bring others into play. He'd be ideal in the NL really.
    Yes I remember Verdaine from his loan (?) spell previously.
    He does unsettle teams with his physical presence but can we afford to have just a "presence" rather than say two strikers who are both natural goal scorers which may make the difference in a tight game.
    I get all the "we need a big powerful team" opinion and we probably do, but to get promoted from the NL don't we need a bit more than that ?

Jeez I know we are bad but are we seriously saying a guy who has scored 6 goals in over 70 games is an option up front for us !

As I type this I know in my head this is the type of player we will be signing.

I get all the "we need a big powerful team" opinion and we probably do, but to get promoted from the NL don't we need a bit more than that ?

Totally, I don't want a team of cloggers, but I reckon we've got to start winning the physical battle in order to release runners (?) or give to ball to a passer of the thing. Too many times we were knocked off the ball all over the pitch this season imo.

Lets just assemble a team of players who would do a ‘good job’ in the non-league football - we would then reach the standard required for ‘Non-league football’. If a Professional boxer fought an amateur boxer who will win? - ok the amateur may get a lucky punch in now and again but 9 times out of 10, the Pro guy will win, same in football. We need a team of professional players that are primed and motivated which means having the right manager - we have that now - if we replace most of the current squad, we still need the right manager to motivate them so what is the point. Lets strengthen a few positions and get the right manager and coaches.

Matt Rhead would be the deluxe version of Oliver, but unfortunately he's just signed a new contract at Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    "It's quite simply a game of football. I'm fed-up listening to people talk BULL about tactics, formations and football science. Get first to the ball, and you've a chance in football. You don't get first to the ball, you've no chance!"

Graeme Souness speaking on RTE last week

https://twitter.com/VMSportIE/status...327872/video/1
    i was going to rubbish this seeing as he hasn't had a managers job since 2006 but then i saw his stats as a manager, pretty impressive, they stand up to anyones and make a mockery of the usual suspects who keep getting jobs in the PL and championship after successive failures....maybe he's right

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast