+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graeme Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    If we get promoted it will be even worse, a new manager trying to build a squad in the Premiership is a ludicrous idea, the new manager will be under pressure from the word go, can you see our penny pinching board spending what will be required?
    Personally I hope we miss out on promotion and next season with a new manager try to build a young, hungry side ( minus the likes of Johnstone, Bartley, Kanu, Livermore etc) who will be ready for promotion.
    I totally agree as much as i hate Villa going up would be embarrassing, we need to get our identity and direction back which we lost as soon as Dan Ashworth left we have a number of good young players who we could use next season first of all we need to find a manager that will trust them.

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    I totally agree as much as i hate Villa going up would be embarrassing, we need to get our identity and direction back which we lost as soon as Dan Ashworth left we have a number of good young players who we could use next season first of all we need to find a manager that will trust them.

A new manager should have been appointed when DM was sacked as opposed to a rookie. This decision will cost us and since DM left - still yet to be won over that the football has improved or there’s a settled first eleven!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    It’s too simplistic to say that.

Have a look back at the simple way of doing it like we did in the 70’s.

A decent keeper.

Full backs like Batson and Statham who could defend AND overlap at pace.

Rock solid centre halves who could head a ball and read a game in Wile and Robertson.

Midfielders who could “dig”,carry the ball,create and score like Robson,Giles,Bomber,Moses,Cantello.

Wingers who could actually “wing” and get a cross in like Cunningham and Willie and Barnes.

A centre forward who was fit to wear the number 9 like Regis,superb hold up play,strong in the air,quick and powerful and with a proper goals return.

A proper number 10 like Ally Brown,intelligent and worked hard and complimented those around him as well as a decent goal scorer.

Every one of these players was home grown or a budget buy.....the most we paid was around £130k for Willie which wasn’t much even then.

The fools purchasing,coaching and managing for us now haven’t the first clue how to spot a player or build a side.

You see players like Bartley,Hegazi,Livermore and Kanu and want to weep.

Time after time we’ve missed the chance to “steal” players like Gray and Redmond from a destitute Blues and from other teams and we’ve dillied and dallied until they’ve gone elsewhere.

I think virtually every Albion fan,if given the recruitment role in the last decade could’ve put together a better squad than we have now.

Garrick,Jenkins,Pulis,Pardew and Moore have all failed miserably in this regard.
    Great post Mick the 70s team not all great players but a great team .
    Says something when we didn't have 1 player make the championship team of the season ,
    This season !!!!

Sacked well before the Xmas decorations go up

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    If we get promoted it will be even worse, a new manager trying to build a squad in the Premiership is a ludicrous idea, the new manager will be under pressure from the word go, can you see our penny pinching board spending what will be required?
    Personally I hope we miss out on promotion and next season with a new manager try to build a young, hungry side ( minus the likes of Johnstone, Bartley, Kanu, Livermore etc) who will be ready for promotion.

Don't talk daft. If we go up the present managerial team will get the job. If we don't go up...the present managerial team will get the job.
    Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Don't talk daft. If we go up the present managerial team will get the job. If we don't go up...the present managerial team will get the job.
    Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
    How far do we define the managerial team as? For me the coach/manager is important but not as important as the people/person who has the final say on recruitment and the recruitment budget. You could have Guadiola or Klopp as head coach of this group and they are not going to be a strong outfit in the PL.

The players make the difference helped by the coach not the other way around and the examples are many in this modern game.

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    The ideal scenario would be to beat the villa and lose in the final. Where ever we are I can't see many of this squad (apart from the kids) being with us. The loan players will be gone, the majority of the old uns will be gone. Phillips, Rodriguez and Helgazi will be sold. Dawson as well possibly. Never mind, Bartley & Johnstone will still be with us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)