+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season games

Probably was a reserves game. I can remember them playing in green and white, which was the only team other than Plymouth to do so back then. Still got the same colours.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Probably was a reserves game. I can remember them playing in green and white, which was the only team other than Plymouth to do so back then. Still got the same colours.
    You are quite right, Mike. They originally adopted green and white after signing a player from Celtic. When I saw them they had changed to an all white strip. I believe they are now back in green and white. In the seventies they played for a while in a strip similar to ours. They also for many years played in amber, claret and black. I'm pretty certain I watched them play us at Millmoor wearing all white but I may be misremembering?

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    They also for many years played in amber, claret and black.
    Unlikely, as those are the colours of their arch-rivals , Bradford City!

Unlikely, as those are the colours of their arch-rivals , Bradford City!
    http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Brad...ark_Avenue.htm
    Mike, would I ever give you a bum steer?

Looks like you are correct, but their "Bradford City" type strip was before I started watching football. I had assumed that they had always played in green and white, but apparently not. They seem to have experimented with a few different colours since losing their football league status. Probably not a great idea to change club colours if you want to try to retain your original fan base from your football league days
    Last edited by mikemiller; 24-05-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Of course, if you were a nitpicker you might point out that the red is redder than City's claret.

Probably not a great idea to change club colours if you want to retain your original fan base
    It worked quite well for Cardiff though!! I always hated that all red strip the Doc introduced for us. Leeds of course aped Real Madrid and changed from Yellow and blue to all white.

No, Mike, I'm wrong. I cannot have watched us play Bradford Park Avenue at Millmoor. Apologies but I was convinced!

Our last football league encounter with them was a Division Three North double-header on Xmas Day/ Boxing Day 1950. We won 4-0 at Park Avenue and 2-1 at Millmoor. (Before I was born). Think that in the Reserves/juniors game I saw they were wearing green shorts, white top /green trimmings. Never saw them play after they dropped out of the league.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 24-05-2019 at 07:48 AM.

Just checked- Bradford PA Juniors were in the Northern Intermediate League along with the Millers Juniors team (containing Trevor Phillips, etc) in the late 60s/1970. Probably one (or more?) of those games that I saw at Millmoor. I had a season ticket, so would go to quite a lot of reserves/juniors games, as well as the first team.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 24-05-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast