+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Pre-season games

Last time we played their first team (I think)Name:  BRADFORD-PARK-AVENUE-v-ROTHERHAM-UNITED-League-Cup.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  45.4 KB

I was at the game against Bradford City in 1969 and they beat us 3:2 at Millmoor; I think Bobby Ham gave us the run around? More humiliating was that their fans took over the Tivoli end!
    Mike you might be able to help me out. In either 1969 or 1970 I'm certain Malcolm MacDonald played against us at Millmoor as a full back. I remember him getting into our box a lot and having quite a few shots and thought he'd be a good player. They were in white shirts and black shorts and must havebeen either Fulham or Luton.

Dates could fit either, but he only played 13 games for Fulham in total . Can't remember him playing at full-back,only as a centre forward, but he may have done early in his career

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Dates could fit either, but he only played 13 games for Fulham in total . Can't remember him playing at full-back,only as a centre forward, but he may have done early in his career
    He was signed by Fulham as a fullback. Moved to Luton in July 1969 and they converted him to centre forward. The only game that I can be thinking of given the dates is the 1:1 draw with Luton at Millmoor 1 November 1969. But I can't find out who scored or where Mac played that day. I have absolutely vivid recollections of him playing wide on the left and roasting our FB and hitting some left foot screamers. He played in white shirt and black shorts and from somewhere I have the idea he was their Left Back that day. It's very frustrating not being able to bottom this small mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    He was signed by Fulham as a fullback. Moved to Luton in July 1969 and they converted him to centre forward. The only game that I can be thinking of given the dates is the 1:1 draw with Luton at Millmoor 1 November 1969. But I can't find out who scored or where Mac played that day. I have absolutely vivid recollections of him playing wide on the left and roasting our FB and hitting some left foot screamers. He played in white shirt and black shorts and from somewhere I have the idea he was their Left Back that day. It's very frustrating not being able to bottom this small mystery.
    I don't have the information that you are looking for. I would have been at the match, but can't remember much about it. Our left-back, Denis Leigh definitely scored. Probably a penalty, as he was our main penalty-taker at the time. He really used to blast them, and rarely missed the target.

I don't have the information that you are looking for. I would have been at the match, but can't remember much about it. Our left-back, Denis Leigh definitely scored. Probably a penalty, as he was our main penalty-taker at the time. He really used to blast them, and rarely missed the target.
    Cheers. Entirely understandable that you can't remember much after all this time. I only remember snippets from the odd game and they don't reflect any particular importance. In a 4:1 home win against Stockport I only remember we scored 3 in the first few minutes and they wore a lovely blue, white and orange strip! I also remember a night game back then in some cup where we beat Halifax (or Hartlepool - definitely began with"H") 3:0; memorable because for some reason it was the worst crush I ever experienced on the Tivoli (feet literally off the ground at the end) and I'm sure a Rotherham player scored all 3 and the goals - shots from about 8 yards out - were all virtually identical. Strange indeed.
    Goodness me. Just checked the Historic Kits site and there's the Stockport strip 1968-70! Less orange on it than I remembered though! 25 January 1969.
    Last edited by wendun; 24-05-2019 at 12:02 PM.

West Brom at home

Tuesday 23rd July 7.45pm kickoff
    Last edited by Godsend.F.C.; 24-05-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsend.F.C. View Post
    West Brom at home

Tuesday 23rd July 7.45pm kickoff
    Given the trouncing they dished out to us on their last visit to the NYS, they probably won't be sending their full first team... to save us further embarrassment

Given the trouncing they dished out to us on their last visit to the NYS, they probably won't be sending their full first team... to save us further embarrassment
    WBA and Leicester, two good games to finish preseason.
    Germany games will be announced soon.

One of the Germany games have been provisionally booked although they may be subject to change. No opposition named as of yet.

Sunday 14th July. 2pm
    Elm-Stadion, Elmstrase, Schoningen.

Get your bags packed CT Miller.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 24-05-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast