+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: European Elections

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    "........Of course the welcome was short lived, the IRA saw to that........"

sinkov ---Nail hit firmly on the head although there were also plenty on the other side of the divide who were more than happy to carry on hosstilities.
    As you said, sections of the community were desperate to be free from the carnage caused by the B Specials. It really was a very short-lived respite.
    I don't think it's any secret how the paramilitaries operated is it Sub, word soon filtered down to those Catholics inclined to be friendly towards our lads that they had options. They could continue to have an amicable relationship with the British Army, or they could have a set of fully operational kneecaps for the use of, but they couldn't have both, up to them, their choice. So of course, the supply of tea, cakes and bacon butties dried up quite rapidly.

So although the welcome was short-lived, I do find it surprising that someone as politically engaged as BT purports to be, seems blissfully unaware of it. But BT is a lefty, he gets his info from Labour Party propaganda sheets, the BBC and the Guardian. Should I really be surprised ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I don't think it's any secret how the paramilitaries operated is it Sub, word soon filtered down to those Catholics inclined to be friendly towards our lads that they had options. They could continue to have an amicable relationship with the British Army, or they could have a set of fully operational kneecaps for the use of, but they couldn't have both, up to them, their choice. So of course, the supply of tea, cakes and bacon butties dried up quite rapidly.

So although the welcome was short-lived, I do find it surprising that someone as politically engaged as BT purports to be, seems blissfully unaware of it. But BT is a lefty, he gets his info from Labour Party propaganda sheets, the BBC and the Guardian. Should I really be surprised ?
    I've been around nearly as long as you sinkov, but we see things with different eyes. I've visited north and south Ireland more times than I can possibly count on business. The history, the potato famine, the contempt of the British government shown towards Ireland over centuries have been the strands that have woven the horrible current political situation. We have a Secretary of State in Karen Bradley who displays so little understanding of Ireland and it's politics she makes even Chris Grayling look capable.

My cousin an Accrington lad was a Drill Sergeant in the Paras deployed to Belfast at the height of the troubles. The last thing he got from the Belfast Catholic community was offers of tea and biscuits. He absolutely hated them and the RUC as a matter of fact.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I've been around nearly as long as you sinkov, but we see things with different eyes. I've visited north and south Ireland more times than I can possibly count on business. The history, the potato famine, the contempt of the British government shown towards Ireland over centuries have been the strands that have woven the horrible current political situation. We have a Secretary of State in Karen Bradley who displays so little understanding of Ireland and it's politics she makes even Chris Grayling look capable.

My cousin an Accrington lad was a Drill Sergeant in the Paras deployed to Belfast at the height of the troubles. The last thing he got from the Belfast Catholic community was offers of tea and biscuits. He absolutely hated them and the RUC as a matter of fact.
    You can see things with as many different eyes as you like BT, but the fact remains that our troops were initially welcomed by some of the Catholic/Republican communities. If you didn't know that then you were ignorant of the situation, if you did but chose to deny it, then you were lying. Which is it ?

You can see things with as many different eyes as you like BT, but the fact remains that our troops were initially welcomed by some of the Catholic/Republican communities. If you didn't know that then you were ignorant of the situation, if you did but chose to deny it, then you were lying. Which is it ?
    It's whimsical nonsense you are spouting sinkov. Which are some of the Catholic/Republican communities you mention? Perhaps Mrs Smith and Mr Jameson and families at 24 & 14 Falls Road? History shows that the British government sent troops out to Belfast in 1969, ostensibly as a neutral force, but it soon came to be regarded by the Catholic community as hostile and biased.

The emergence of various armed Paramilitary organisations in Ireland led to militarised conflict and domestic warfare over the next three decades. On reflection sending in British troops did little to assuage the 1969 problem. The aftermath of our Iraq and Afghanistan militarised forays, sort of proves we never learn.

Regarding Northern Ireland and the “Troubles”, as usual, various British governments displayed a great talent for the visceral but never the end game. Jeremy Corbyn offers a more peaceful, pragmatic approach and solution, but of course he must wear the “IRA Terrorist” sympathiser tag to fuel and justify the xenophobic “Let’s send in the gunboats” to deal with these constant “uprisings” from folks who do not want their countries invaded and parcelled up for the victors.
    Last edited by The Bedlington Terrier; 21-05-2019 at 04:31 AM.

I consider you a decent, honest person BT, not someone who would deliberately lie or mislead, so the inevitable conclusion is that you were actually unaware of the fact that the British Army presence was initially welcomed by Catholic/Republican communities. On one level I find this astonishing, on another level, given that you are a lefty and lefties love to rewrite history, it's perhaps not that surprising. But I do wonder what else you don't know, or have convinced yourself didn't happen.

Are you aware for instance, that the Labour Government under Harold Wilson closed far more pits than Thatcher's Tories ever did, or does this come as a surprise to you as well ?
    Last edited by sinkov; 20-05-2019 at 10:23 PM.

It's all about propaganda to fool the masses sinkov. Flag waving eejits at Plymouth docks to wave our boys off to the Falklands, photos of the Hussein statue being toppled by the grateful Iraqis whilst we looked for evidence of WMD, Doris and Hilda on the Falls Road bringing out the Royal Doulton (with crumpets) to feed a couple of grateful squaddies. The list is endless.

Harold Wilson's Labour government sought to change the business model of the British coal industry and make it modern, slim lined and profitable. Margaret Thatcher closed the pits to bring the NUM and the working class people of this country to it's knees. Out came the largest numbers of mobilised police this country has ever seen and aided by her snivelling, grovelling horrible Yank sycophant she succeeded in smashing the Trade Union movement in this country into oblivion.

It's all about propaganda to fool the masses sinkov. Flag waving eejits at Plymouth docks to wave our boys off to the Falklands, photos of the Hussein statue being toppled by the grateful Iraqis whilst we looked for evidence of WMD, Doris and Hilda on the Falls Road bringing out the Royal Doulton (with crumpets) to feed a couple of grateful squaddies. The list is endless.

Harold Wilson's Labour government sought to change the business model of the British coal industry and make it modern, slim lined and profitable. Margaret Thatcher closed the pits to bring the NUM and the working class people of this country to it's knees. Out came the largest numbers of mobilised police this country has ever seen and aided by her snivelling, grovelling horrible Yank sycophant she succeeded in smashing the Trade Union movement in this country into oblivion.
    Hallelujah, we are slowly, oh so slowly, getting there BT. It's like squeezing blood out of a stone, but you do then, sort of grudgingly, concede that there was a short-lived welcome for our troops, when they replaced the dreaded B Specials patrolling Catholic/Republican areas of Ulster when they first arrived in the late 60s. Which is all I said in the first place. And you don't dispute the fact that Wilson closed far more pits than Thatcher ever did either. We are in agreement at last, God is in his heaven and all's well with the world.

Hallelujah, we are slowly, oh so slowly, getting there BT. It's like squeezing blood out of a stone, but you do then, sort of grudgingly, concede that there was a short-lived welcome for our troops, when they replaced the dreaded B Specials patrolling Catholic/Republican areas of Ulster when they first arrived in the late 60s. Which is all I said in the first place. And you don't dispute the fact that Wilson closed far more pits than Thatcher ever did either. We are in agreement at last, God is in his heaven and all's well with the world.
    Anything to help brighten your day sinkov, all you need to do is ask?

Good morning 59 mon ami. Are you excited ? You must be, in two days time your dreams come true, and you get your People's Vote on whether we should leave or remain in the EU. Just think 59, all those crusty pensioners, the walking dead, who voted to deny the young their future in the EU, it's three years ago now, how many have since departed this mortal coil, one million, two million, more ? And at the other end they will have been replaced by a couple of million or more youngsters, desperate to keep us in so they can live, travel, work and holiday in EU countries. Actually they'll be able to whether we're in or out of the EU, but let that pass. That must tilt the balance back in Remain's favour, as you People's Voters have been claiming as justification for another vote. And then all those in the middle you were telling us about, those who simply got it wrong because they were lied to by Bojo and Farage, they will have realised they were conned, that Brexit isn't what they were promised and will have changed their minds, won't they. At least you said they would, so now we'll see, it must be a landslide for you Remainers mustn't it ? Happy days eh 59, I'll bet you can't wait for the result.
    Last edited by sinkov; 21-05-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Anything to help brighten your day sinkov, all you need to do is ask?
    Thank you BT, I have a long day of exterior house painting ahead, not my favourite pastime, I shall now face it with renewed vigour.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)