+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: European Elections

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Good morning 59 mon ami. Are you excited ? You must be, in two days time your dreams come true, and you get your People's Vote on whether we should leave or remain in the EU. Just think 59, all those crusty pensioners, the walking dead, who voted to deny the young their future in the EU, it's three years ago now, how many have since departed this mortal coil, one million, two million, more ? And at the other end they will have been replaced by a couple of million or more youngsters, desperate to keep us in so they can live, travel, work and holiday in EU countries. Actually they'll be able to whether we're in or out of the EU, but let that pass. That must tilt the balance back in Remain's favour, as you People's Voters have been claiming as justification for another vote. And then all those in the middle you were telling us about, those who simply got it wrong because they were lied to by Bojo and Farage, they will have realised they were conned, that Brexit isn't what they were promised and will have changed their minds, won't they. At least you said they would, so now we'll see, it must be a landslide for you Remainers mustn't it ? Happy days eh 59, I'll bet you can't wait for the result.
    Bonjour Mon Ami!

I wasn't being rude, I have just returned from three fantastic days in the Lakes. Well, not IN the lakes, but on the land adjacent to them.

You have had me wrong all this time Sinkov. I totally disagree with Brexit but, if the people are aware of the facts and still choose to leave then that is that.

The Euro elections are not a referendum though. I think that many Labour and Tory voters simply won't bother with them, and to be honest I don't blame them.
    Whereas if this was a referendum on a deal/remain then turnout would be high.

Nice try though!

" I think that many Labour and Tory voters simply won't bother with them, and to be honest I don't blame them.
    Whereas if this was a referendum on a deal/remain then turnout would be high."

Tory voters 59 ? Are there any left, even party workers and some MPs say they're voting for the Brexit Party. I think, and hope, that they are well and truly finished, they deserve to be anyway. I think the turnout will be high for an election that is virtually meaningless as an election. It is though an opportunity for the great British public to have their say on Brexit, all 3 options will be represented, Remain/Revoke by the LibDems, Chuggers and Greens, Soft Brexit by Labour and Tories, just lets get the feck out, or Hard Brexit/No Deal I suppose you'd call it, by UKIP and Brexit Party.

It will be fascinating to count the votes up and see just where the country does stand currently, it might not be a referendum but the result will resonate in Westminster and in Brussels as well. If your lot win then the EU elite will sit tight and continue to smirk, if Nigel comes out well on top then they might realise the game's up, their WA is dead, and they really can whistle for their £39 billion. They might also decide they have to re-think their strategy, they're not stupid, they will take note of the way the wind's blowing.

Yes Election Day is finally here and I better just publish my manifesto. I do not want a customs union, there should be restricted movements of people, European Courts will cease to have jurisdiction and a second referendum is total anathema. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    Yes Election Day is finally here and I better just publish my manifesto. I do not want a customs union, there should be restricted movements of people, European Courts will cease to have jurisdiction and a second referendum is total anathema. Enough said.
    Spot on outwood apart from the Customs Union because that would "solve" the Irish border problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

Nice try though!
    It's nice of you to be so complimentary 59, but I really can't take any credit, my post was simply a quick summation of what you, the LibDems, and Remainers in general, have been claiming for the last three years as justification for a second referendum. You also claimed the opinion polls showed this seing to Remain. Well today we have a real opinion poll involving the entire country, real people, real votes, not groups targetted by pollsters with an agenda, even EU citizens living here can vote, so if you were right, then the vote count will be overwhelmingly in favour of the Remain/Revoke parties in today's elections........won't it ? You don't seem so sure anymore, you seem to be distancing yourself from your own analysis of the situation.

But what do I know 59, you may well be right, let the people have their say, let's find out just how much we as a country have changed our views on leaving the EU over the last three years. Maybe the answer will be not very much, who knows, let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Spot on outwood apart from the Customs Union because that would "solve" the Irish border problem.
    A trade deal would also solve the problem BT, which is what we wanted to negotiate originally alongside the WA, but as shown on the recent BBC4 documentary, the EU refused to talk about trade, there was Barnier, live on camera saying 'We will decide the sequencing.' Of course there is no justification for this in Article 50, the UK and the EU are officially equal partners in the negotiations, Bojo, talking sense for once had already said, 'We are not supplicants in this process', but our negotiating team backed down and accepted the EU timetabling of the negotiations, trade talks were off and the Irish border problem presented itself, and here we are today. Why did we back down, on whose instructions, no one knows, it's all shrouded in secrecy, but it was a catastrophic error, if it indeed it was an error, maybe this is how some on our side wanted it all along ?

Have you seen that documentary BT, it's very revealing about a lot of what's gone on, I think the BBC were cute in asking a Belgian crew to make it, I doubt a British team would have been allowed anything like the same access. But I'm not surprised they hid it on BBC4, there was no way the Remainers running the Beeb would allow it to see light of the day on either of their main channels.

So the polls have now closed and we will get the results when? Late Sunday night! What a jackass organisation this EU is.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    So the polls have now closed and we will get the results when? Late Sunday night! What a jackass organisation this EU is.
    To be fair to our EU chums, I think voting in some countries is over this weekend, and they won't release any results until all the results are in.

I'm well used to the shameless lefty bias shown by the BBC, C4, and SkyNews but even they were outdone by ITV News last night. Their expert was analysing the result to see whether Leave or Remain had won. He added up the votes from Brexit and Ukip for Leave, from Libdems etc for Remain. There wasn't much in it, but what about the Labour and Tory vote, which side should they be added to ? Despite the fact that Labour had worried about upsetting their Leave voters, especially in northern constituencies, that Thornberry had bemoaned the fact they weren't taking the Remain side, that their manifesto said they would take us out of the EU, that both the Libdems and the Greens had pointed out during the campaign that Labour was actually a Leave Party, the ITV expert said that, as 'Labour now seems to be tending towards Remain' we'll put their vote on the Remain side. Which he did, and promptly declared that therefore it was a clear win for Remain. And amazingly, he did all this with a straight face.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I'm well used to the shameless lefty bias shown by the BBC, C4, and SkyNews but even they were outdone by ITV News last night. Their expert was analysing the result to see whether Leave or Remain had won. He added up the votes from Brexit and Ukip for Leave, from Libdems etc for Remain. There wasn't much in it, but what about the Labour and Tory vote, which side should they be added to ? Despite the fact that Labour had worried about upsetting their Leave voters, especially in northern constituencies, that Thornberry had bemoaned the fact they weren't taking the Remain side, that their manifesto said they would take us out of the EU, that both the Libdems and the Greens had pointed out during the campaign that Labour was actually a Leave Party, the ITV expert said that, as 'Labour now seems to be tending towards Remain' we'll put their vote on the Remain side. Which he did, and promptly declared that therefore it was a clear win for Remain. And amazingly, he did all this with a straight face.
    Not often I am gobsmacked and totally lost for words but that eejit on ITV pulled it off sinkov. The total turnout for the vote was 30% and the Brexit Party took 31% of that. Not at all sure how that equates to a vote to Remain? For the record, of course I voted Labour and want to LEAVE, but these supercilious "experts" are a lot like our inane MP's, they all want to REMAIN.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)