+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Promotion

hopefully get a big performance tonight. Not necessarily bothered if we win but aslong as we arent convincingly beaten. take it back to tannadice and hopefully make up for the cup tie v ICT

since Jan we have been fairly reliable in results. even the queens game at home we should have gave them a doing! having said that we cant allow ICT any head starts.

get stuck in. quick start/tempo. test them straight away, dont let them settle and hopefully our quality will show.

Biggest concern for me tonight is that we try to ease our way into the game....if we do that, I'd expect to be a goal down within the first 10 minutes and then spend the rest if the match getting kicked to death. We need to start at a high tempo and try and catch ICT off guard. We don't want them to be defending a lead for the whole game. I still believe our players are mentally fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by weegiearab View Post
    Biggest concern for me tonight is that we try to ease our way into the game....if we do that, I'd expect to be a goal down within the first 10 minutes and then spend the rest if the match getting kicked to death. We need to start at a high tempo and try and catch ICT off guard. We don't want them to be defending a lead for the whole game. I still believe our players are mentally fragile.
    I agree about going right at them with a high tempo straight away. They played 3 days ago so I hope Robbie does that. I think we're good enough to win the game and put real doubts in their minds for the journey to Tannadice.

As to the fragility I think we're showing wee signs of shedding that.

C'mon United

Spot on! we really do need to start with a tempo! they've played two tough games in a short space of time plus with not alot of recovery time so we need to be "at them" right from the start. get testing them with balls inbehind and moving the ball quickly. the one game we've lost aganist them this season has been the only game where we had no tempo and allowed ICT to dictate which cant be allowed to happen tonight or friday.

the only other concern i have is the fact we've had 10 days since our last game. we dont normally look great after that sort of break. so hopefully robbie has them buzzing and flying out the traps

The break will help for 2nd game but could be a hinderance to starting fast tonight. My worried as well

a fast tempo would stretch them and hopefully they will tire around the 70 minute mark. If we can get an early goal and make them chase the game, we could do well. Previous recent big games gives me the total fear though....surely at some point, we are gonna get the performance that we deserve!

Ok with time to kill before the game I thought I'd check the Largs Manual on this. Here's what it says

Section 27
    Two leg ties where away leg is first.

There are 2 main options. There is the *PTB method and the *CL(International) method.
    Remember that pressure from Chairman or fans to play attacking football and kill the tie in the first leg is very risky and should be avoided.

The PTB (Park the bus) method is a good one but only ideal if your back 4 is Baresi Hegarty Narey and Robertson.

The CL (Craig Levein) international formation of 460 is worth considering as an alternative. *Coaches tip: get your players to wear their tops back to front and the fans will think it's an attack minded formation.

LOL - love the wearing tops back to front tip.

No idea what's going to unfold tonight vs ICT. But I'll be happy if we are at least level after tonight.

Got a feeling Pav may strike tonight though. So, that's a good thing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)