+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who was right ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    £45 million in lost revenue when we took a relegation to pay for it, and I'm estimating it cost £20m itself, although I don't know the actual figure. You'll know BT, what did it cost to build ?
    That's a bit daft is that sinkov. Who knows whether we would have stayed up or gone down? We should have bought another midfielder, but we didn't and the Lansbury affair was just plain daft. The sad thing is we do not seem to have learned from that shambles. Perhaps Rigg can sort it?

Regarding Barnfield it was budgeted at £12 million and actually cost £13 million.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    £45 million in lost revenue when we took a relegation to pay for it, and I'm estimating it cost £20m itself, although I don't know the actual figure. You'll know BT, what did it cost to build ?
    That's come right out of "Boris Johnson's Big Book of Economics with Pictures" I'm afraid.

If you have an issue about Barnfield then take it up with Sean - he more or less insisted on it.

And I agree with him. Look at the benefits we got from Gawthorpe back in the day. If we hadn't built it I doubt we would have been as successful as we were in the 50's and 60's. But it was no longer fit for purpose. If you stand still you go backwards. I reckon it will be the best investment we will ever make under Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    That's a bit daft is that sinkov. Who knows whether we would have stayed up or gone down? We should have bought another midfielder, but we didn't and the Lansbury affair was just plain daft. The sad thing is we do not seem to have learned from that shambles. Perhaps Rigg can sort it?

Regarding Barnfield it was budgeted at £12 million and actually cost £13 million.
    In which case BT it only cost us £58 million and not £65 million almost a bargain. Do you seriously think that, given sensible funding, Dyche couldn't have kept us up in his first PL season ? FFS, look at the players he was forced into signing, Marvin Sordell, Juke, Matthew Taylor, Steven Reid, it was a joke, and of course we never signed midfield cover for Marney or Jones and played the last third of the season with just one recognised CM. Even then we were only five points off safety, if we had prioritised staying in the PL instead of Barnfield we'd have stayed up comfortably. saved the £45 million revenue that relegation cost us, and Barnfield would still have been built.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    That's come right out of "Boris Johnson's Big Book of Economics with Pictures" I'm afraid.

If you have an issue about Barnfield then take it up with Sean - he more or less insisted on it.

And I agree with him. Look at the benefits we got from Gawthorpe back in the day. If we hadn't built it I doubt we would have been as successful as we were in the 50's and 60's. But it was no longer fit for purpose. If you stand still you go backwards. I reckon it will be the best investment we will ever make under Sean.
    It's simple arithmetic really 59, although I know nothing is really simple for LibDems, I can explain it to you if you want.

I have no issue with Barnfield itself, I've already said we needed to update the facilities, see post 26, but you must have missed that. I just take issue with neglecting the team in order to build it. Sean could have kept us in the PL comfortably that first season, but the money went on Barnfield instead and we were relegated, costing us around £45 million in lost revenue. So we invest in the team, stay up, save £45 million, and we build Barnfield a year later. What's not to like ?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)