2018/19 SUFC SCHOOL REPORT

As I have traditionally done at the end of the last few seasons; it is that time again when I write a review of the campaign and also compile a school report for the different sections of the club. I will look at how they have fared and what are the prospects for next season for each respective department of the club.

People might actually read this one! It might veer on the positive somewhat!

I will begin with the review and a breakdown of the board and manager/s.

Over the next few weeks I will add to this with breakdowns of the players/squad at the club and do the same. I will look at contract situations (may be wrong with some of these so again come in if I have got any wrong) and what might happen to each area of the team.

Feel free to add comments/disagree/debate.....after each post I make.

I have graded the board, the manager, players and the fans; in a traditional school report style of A+ to F- (every player who started at least one game- think I may have graded a few others too). Should really mark the new GCSE style numbering 1-9 but that would get really confusing!
I have had to grade players based on the games they did play so some players who played a lot more may still get a lower grade despite disproportionate number of games in comparison. I have also tried to discuss some of the u23 players. I have left out all the u18 eligible players and just concentrated on first team/u23’s and any loanee, both with us and those we have loaned out.
Of course, whilst I have seen all the home games; I have seen half a dozen live away and then every other league game via steams/SKY/Red button feeds so hopefully a bit fairer than years past when admittedly I have not seen every game. This time I do not believe I have missed a minute of action!
If I have missed anyone then please say. Feel free to weigh in with critique, opinions and even in some cases agreements!

Season review

United had started the previous season fantastically and at various points in the lead up to Xmas occupied the top place in the Championship. Quite an achievement after only coming up the league before. United’s style of play drew praise aplenty as Wilder’s unique style and attacking philosophy certainly shocked quite a few established sides at this new higher level. Wins at Wednesday and Leeds had the fans dreaming of a remarkable back to back promotion. Sadly, an injury to Paul Coutts and some key injuries and drop off in form; meant United could not quite keep the same levels of consistency. January signings did not really work and eventually United dropped out of the playoff places. For much of the season they were right there in the shake up so the eventual finishing place of 10th was maybe not a true reflection of how well they had done. Indeed, they were right in the mix for the playoffs even up the final few weeks of the season. The season ended with speculation over Chris Wilder’s future with genuine concerns he may leave amidst interest from Sunderland. Off the field matters were not helping with a very public falling out between the two owners no nearer to being settled. This would rumble and even now we await a court case.

Eventually Wilder was given enough assurances from those ‘in charge’ to remain. One of his first jobs was to have to allow the sale of protégé David Brooks whose head was turned by agents and Premier League interest. United were allowed to bring in John Egan for a club record 4 million pounds, goalkeeper Dean Henderson on loan from Manchester United to replace the outgoing Jamal Blackman who ended up at rivals Leeds. He also brought in free agent David McGoldrick and loan signing Ben Woodburn. Young centre back Kean Bryan also arrived from Man City. A number of other players were allowed to leave on loan or for free with the likes of Carruthers, Thomas, Heneghan, Lavery, Holmes and several young players departing on loan and George Long and Clayton Donaldson leaving permanently. United still appeared to lack depth in the striking department as the season started relying on the partnership of Sharp and Clarke; that had done so well last season.

Thoughts ahead of the season were that United had made some decent signings but maybe not quite added the quality needed to better the placing from last season. There were concerns over the lack of attacking options with Brooks gone and concerns whether the front two could replicate the goals of last season. Coutts was also not quite ready and Evans/Leonard/Lundstram had still not totally convinced in this area. Opinions of the finish ranged from some saying we could be an outside punt for the playoffs to a similar position to last season. Not many supporters anticipated them to be much lower than mid table and that included those supporters from other Championship clubs.

August

The season kicked off with real disappointment. A very ordinary performance against relegated Swansea saw United lead with a goal from a wing back Baldock but they were pegged back and, in the end, overrun by pace and skill that saw an opening day defeat. Disaster followed a few days later with a thumping defeat at Middlesbrough when newcomers Egan and Henderson looking very shaky. A few of the old guard, namely Duffy and Freeman came back in for the game at QPR with United sitting bottom before the game. After going a goal down; it looked like the disastrous start to the season would continue but Sharp equalised thanks for an assist from Freeman. Sub McGoldrick then won and converted the winner from the penalty spot and United were up and running.
A few days later saw some transfer movement with Lee Evans moving out to Wigan and Oliver Norwood coming in on loan from Brighton with both transfers effectively permanent deals.

United lost out to Hull on penalties in the League Cup but Norwood had an outstanding debut despite missing a spot kick in the shootout. He repeated this showing a few days later as United beat Norwich with Egan scoring his first goal. Jordan Rhodes, on loan from Wednesday somewhat inevitably scored and then despite United looking the more likely had to survive a 4 on 1 when Henderson made a ***** save. In the last minute of stoppage time; Sharp nodded in the winner to send the crowd into raptures.
United were now up and running and a confident and assured performance saw them take a poor Bolton side apart despite the Lancashire sides relatively elevated position at the time. Duffy, Freeman and Fleck all scored. United finished the opening month in 7th and had recovered from a really poor start.
Towards the end of the month United also allowed Ryan Leonard to move to Millwall and brought in Connor Washington from QPR and Marvin Johnson. Martin Cranie also came in on a short-term deal to provide defensive cover.

September

The first game of the month saw a superb performance as the Blades destroyed an expensively assembled Villa side. The first half was as good a display seen at the Lane for many years with O’Connell, Duffy and Norwood scoring. 3-0 actually flattered Villa at half time. Sharp added another in the 4-1 win. This performance really made the Championship sit up and take notice. New signings Henderson, Egan, Norwood and McGoldrick were all now in fine form. After the international break, United missed first half chances at Bristol City and lost to a late goal and then a poor performance against Birmingham saw United lucky to escape with a draw.
A few days later, United were coasting at home to Preston with goals from Sharp and Basham but two goals in quick succession towards the end of the game stunned the home fans but great work from Stevens saw him lay on a winner for McGoldrick and the Blades were back to winning ways.
A week later a similar scenario saw United dominate at Millwall and they were leading thanks to Sharp’s header (who also missed a penalty) but the home side hit them with two quick sucker punches and somehow United trailed. They kept their composure and moved the ball around and eventually got level with another penalty, this time scored from McGoldrick before the same man scored after another lovely team move. United had moved up to 4th place.

October

Blackburn had not lost at home for almost a year but Sharp scored two predatory goals in a very good team performance with the defence excellent again. Norwood was continuing to pull the strings in the middle of the park. The following weekend, United edged a tight game against Hull with McGoldrick netting the winner from the spot and suddenly the Blades were top.
United then came back from another international break with a defeat but had battered Derby at home for most of the first half despite conceding in the first minute. A lovely goal finished by Basham and some superb football saw United completely take over. However, they failed to take advantage and were second best after the break and Derby scored the winner. United then dominated Stoke at the Lane and Clarke got his first of the season but a poor error from Henderson saw a late free kick give the visitors an unjust point. The next game though United were maybe not as impressive but saw off Wigan 4-2 and were much more clinical this time with a superb Sharp hat trick. United finished the month at the top of the league!