Defenders

Jack O’Connell Another outstanding season as he carries on his progression through the leagues with United. Big, strong, deceptively quick and good on the ball. He can head it, clear it and tackle but also reads the game well, is decent at passing and gets forward and overlaps/underlaps and puts superb crosses in.

He started the season a bit off the pace and recall a few errors in the early season game and looked a bit leaden footed but like the rest of the defence he settled down. The unit got better and better as he linked with carryovers Baldock, Stevens and Basham; but also gelled well with new keeper Henderson and central defender Egan.

He started to dominate aerially in games again and won his individual battles so often but we also saw him coming forward once more with some surging runs and very good crosses too (Derby at home for Sharp, Ipswich at home for Hogan two that stand out).

Missed two groups of games (three in late Feb and two in April) with a few injuries but was a warrior apart from this and so reliable. A real leader and still a crowd favourite. Not sure he scored at all last season so at least he got three this year (all at the Lane) with the ones v Villa and Rotherham and then the oh, so crucial strike in the Ipswich near promotion clincher.

His mistakes have been few and far between (the one at Villa a rare howler when he miskicked in the build-up the late leveller) and he has been so consistent and professional. Has been a tremendous signing and at 25 can get even better. He is one of the players I feel can cope with the higher league and could even go on and eventually play for England whether it be with us or another side longer term.

Grade A- (Last season B+)

Chris Basham Embodies everything about the club at the moment and the rise and rise of the side. He was one of the few that was left from the Clough era when Wilder came in and is now our longest serving player by some way (if you discount Sharp being in different spells). A player that looked a bit clumsy and technically a bit inept when he signed, he played in midfield but was not always the most accomplished and even at League One you worried if he was skilled enough to cope. His work rate was never in doubt and he got better and better. He was ok under Adkins and a real trier and then he found a new position under Wilder and it suited him perfectly. He could defend and attack but did not have to dictate play and often he found him given the ball in good positions or he could drive out from defence rather than in a congested midfield where he sometimes lacked composure to create. He at times has still done a job as a midfielder (Leeds away this season when he scored a massive goal).

For the most part he has been a 7-7.5/10 every week and sometimes higher. Real desire, hunger and appetite. Even in games we have struggled he has carried the fight and been consistently one our better players all season. You keep thinking he may drop off but he kept it going. What surprised me was not just his fitness and ability to get all over the pitch (recall a game at Preston when he seemed to be everywhere for a 5-minute spell) but his growing confidence on the ball. Still a bit bambi at ice at times he has improved immeasurably at his control, passing and things he goes under pressure. He has been able to kill it, move it a yard and pass it to feet at pace and this is a big improvement. He trusts his ability to do more complex things. Some of his runs forward just take the pressure off the defence massively as he carries it so far. Sometimes he comes back or panics a bit and that is the next step for him in terms of those runs and that final product as he like others does not always produce. However at times he has even got better in this regard with a few decent assists too.

A really big part of what we have done and one of Wilder’s senior pros that will do a job week in, week out both going forward and defending. A unique system requires a unique player and he is one.

The video at the end of the season where Billy interviews him compares him to a steam train and Bash responds by puffing vape smoke out to resemble a train is superb and sums up Bash’s character and his playing style to a tee. A great lad who knows his limitations. He may struggle at times next season and I do feel we might upgrade in his position possibly but I would like to see him have a go as we won’t find anyone as fit or willing as him. He has been a huge part of our rise and feel his versatility and ability to do lots of different jobs will stay make him invaluable even at a higher level.

Grade A- (Last season B+)

John Egan My recollections of Egan before he signed was a big lad for Brentford who headed it and kicked it but not so great on the deck. I did not see his loan game for us many years ago at Walsall but Blades who went were that impressed but of course he went to Gillingham did well, then Brentford and slowly rose up the league. He was fairly regular-ish for them but they had quite a few centre backs but chose to let Dean go to Birmingham and then did the same with Egan (and with Mepham this season too). They of course sign players and then make a profit but also the fans spoke of him not suiting their ball playing style. Well, as Brentford lost to us twice and continued to show a soft underbelly despite some lovely football, they may realise even though they have to move players on as that is how they operate business wise – if they ever hope to improve from mid-table and nice pretty tippy, tappy stuff they need some leaders and men in defence who can do the things defenders so like Egan and O’Connell. Both are far better footballers than Brentford gave them credit for and in a three are great also with other covering around them. Both were very unfortunate not to make the PFA/EFL team and had better seasons than Cooper/Jansson for me.

Egan started the season poorly and looked very shaky as we lost a few games and some were asking for Stearman back so early on but Egan settled down. He scored against Norwich and then started to dominate in the air and give us that strength we needed in the middle to stop us conceding some of those set play/aerial goals we had conceded at the end of the last season. He was not great with his feet early on but he improved in this aspect and started to do better with his passing but often kept it simple rather than go long and would switch it quickly to Norwood who would quarter back from just in front or move it to the wide lads. Defensively he was very good in the air and would at times but so dominant. He made good tackles and interceptions but helped keep a good spine and shape with him in the centre. A regular unless injured or suspended and he was a rock the superb defensive performances from Xmas onwards. Recall a superb showing in the 10 man win v Brentford. He was great also at Leeds.

Only a few daft mistakes like the red card v Millwall (luckily did not cost us) I can recall and maybe the biggest knock is he only scored the one goal v Norwich at home. He got into some really good positions but headed over quite a bit and needs to work on being more of a threat when he goes up for set plays.

Overall, though he has been such a key player and a master stroke by messrs Wilder, Knill and Mitchell to bring him in. He has chased him for some time by us and you could see why.

Wilder revealed he cost 3.5 million which is an absolute bargain when you consider Flint went for 7 million and Egan is superior and has more potential for me. I still fail to understand how Keogh at Derby gets ahead of him for Ireland but not sure that will carry on and at least Egan is involved in the squads. I look at players like Dunk/Duffy at Brighton and Tarkowski/Mee at Burnley and not sure our two main lads at the back (Basham more of a roving type) are any worse or cannot go on and match their play at this higher level. Been a great signing and clearly loves the club and feels part of things. Another who is a really likeable lad but a leader and captain material. Hs song he sang at the player of the year do will go down in folklore.

Grade A- (Last season NA)